Team Japan

44 minutes ago, Melodie said:

Mai aims for the final flight at the Olys! Go! little warrior :fire:

Undergraduate, grade, name
Faculty of Business Administration Department of Business Administration 4th year
Mai Mihara, captain of the figure skating club

Category, class
Single Sr., 7th grade

Hobbies
A collection of earrings and socks!

Special skill
Kendama, remembering a person's birthday

Favorite color
Pastel pink, white [😌]

My boom
To nail

Inscription on the right
Fortune comes to the laughing gate

Goal
Level up with something every day
Glide free in the final group at the Beijing Olympics

What I was happy about recently
New SP was created 😳

Because there are still many things that are missing
I am grateful to be able to skate and will do my best for the new season ☺️

This is mind-blowing!  Machida-kun is truly taking figure skating to new level of artistry.  This is an introductory documentary by TV Tokyo (one of the more progressive stations - so glad its not Fuji or TV Asahi), in which Machida introduces his new "Inheritance Project".  Machida explains that through the long history of Figure Skating, there have been many memorable and artistically superb programs which become forgotten and no longer performed when the skater retires.  Machida wants to create a new movement in which these masterpieces are not forgotten or lost, but are handed over and further developed and refined by the next generation of skaters - just as in classical ballet, where choreographic masterpieces are inherited and cherished and performed continuously, like Swan Lake by Marius Petipas.   

In this first piece, Machida wants to have his program "Je te veux" to be performed by Keiji Tanaka.  He chose Keiji because this piece of music evokes the image of a Parisien man in his 30s or 40s - worldly and confident.  Keiji's physique and mature expressions seemed to fit the piece very well.  The video shows them practicing together.  Keiji looks fabulous in his trench coat and fedora hat and cigar (not actually smoking it).  Keiji has been practicing ballet movements in preparation for this event.  Looking forward to this program to be shown on TV Tokyo!  

ETA: This will be shown as part of Prince Ice World show on May 1 - 5, 2021.  

BTW, Machida-kun has furthermore published a paper proposing these memorable programs to be managed like an intellectual property (legally copyright eligible).  He would like to develop an inventory of such memorable masterpieces that could become part of the legacy and rich history of figure skating as artistic sports.    It seems in Japan we are growing a bevvy of intellectual skaters!  (Well, at least two - Machida the artistic philosopher, and Hanyu - the hardcore scientific researcher). 

interview with my little sparkle, Ayumi-chan

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP4P5W7NP4NUTQP018.html

Kingdom to anybody who has subscription and can tell me if there is anything interesting, because I don't think there was ever any actual interview with her.

Outside of paywall only small part of the article is available. She has a dog called Axel-kun.:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

EDIT:

Team Japan
ladies men
Rika Kihira Yuzuru Hanyu
Kaori Sakamoto Shoma Uno
Satoko Miyahara Yuma Kagiyama

Team A
Rino Matsuike Keiji Tanaka
Mai Mihara Shun Sato
Mana Kawabe Kazuki Tomono
Wakaba Higuchi Kao Miura
Yuhana Yokoi Koshiro Shimada
Hana Yoshida Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
Mao Shimada Sena Miyake

Team B
Yuna Shiraiwa Sota Yamamoto
Rin Nitaya Sumitada Moriguchi
Tomoe Kawabata Yuto Kishina
Rion Sumiyoshi Kosho Oshima
Ayumi Shibayama Shunsuke Nakamura
Ami Nakai Tatsuya Tsuboi
Natsu Suzuki Keisuke Kadowaki
Mone Chiba  

https://skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/2021FS210422.pdf

9 hours ago, Umebachi said:

This is mind-blowing!  Machida-kun is truly taking figure skating to new level of artistry.  This is an introductory documentary by TV Tokyo (one of the more progressive stations - so glad its not Fuji or TV Asahi), in which Machida introduces his new "Inheritance Project".  Machida explains that through the long history of Figure Skating, there have been many memorable and artistically superb programs which become forgotten and no longer performed when the skater retires.  Machida wants to create a new movement in which these masterpieces are not forgotten or lost, but are handed over and further developed and refined by the next generation of skaters - just as in classical ballet, where choreographic masterpieces are inherited and cherished and performed continuously, like Swan Lake by Marius Petipas.   

In this first piece, Machida wants to have his program "Je te veux" to be performed by Keiji Tanaka.  He chose Keiji because this piece of music evokes the image of a Parisien man in his 30s or 40s - worldly and confident.  Keiji's physique and mature expressions seemed to fit the piece very well.  The video shows them practicing together.  Keiji looks fabulous in his trench coat and fedora hat and cigar (not actually smoking it).  Keiji has been practicing ballet movements in preparation for this event.  Looking forward to this program to be shown on TV Tokyo!  

ETA: This will be shown as part of Prince Ice World show on May 1 - 5, 2021.  

BTW, Machida-kun has furthermore published a paper proposing these memorable programs to be managed like an intellectual property (legally copyright eligible).  He would like to develop an inventory of such memorable masterpieces that could become part of the legacy and rich history of figure skating as artistic sports.    It seems in Japan we are growing a bevvy of intellectual skaters!  (Well, at least two - Machida the artistic philosopher, and Hanyu - the hardcore scientific researcher). 

I love so much this program of his. To begin with I love the music (though the lyrics themselves are quite blunt), and his skating... I would be curious to see what Keiji Tanaka makes of it, and yes, it would be like in ballet. After all, at the times of Petipa he quotes, technique was not what it is now. Because in my opinion it's Yuzuru Hanyu who brought figure skating to the level of an art, thanks both to his vision and his mastering skating technique to the point of being able to "do what he wants" on skates. I feel that before him there could be artistry in skating, or artists skating, but not a full art form.

And I think the very idea of a program library very good too, because this is where figure skating is going, at least I hope so.