57 minutes ago, Lunna said:

The question is if public is willing to follow the measures. I am sure that at NHK they will, cuz that's how Japanese are, and at CoR they won't, I don't know how it'll be in France. If there's a doubt it's more simple to hold it without audience.

In France it has to be checked, otherwise it will not be followed by (nearly) everybody. Though I think figure skating spectators may be more aware and disciplined.

I must say, I know hydroalcoholic solution is quite inefficient on bare hands, and I have never seen new handwash equipment an the entry of malls etc, though it doesn't need running water (but it is much more maintenance than bottles of hydroalcoholic solution). So it is unlikely to be available there.

There's all the time for Grenoble rink to reopen, so I'm not holding my breath for cancellation. Though I do hope that, if it reopens in time for IDF, they won't have audience. In a month from now France might as well be in a declining phase, but it's Fall and there's little reason to think that once this wave passes there isn't another one just brewing under the surface. The picture we have on any certain day is always unavoidably delayed (of a few days if one's lucky, weeks at worst) compared to the actual situation on the day.

Again, Europe managed to get second wave in summer, when usually respiratory diseases slow down a lot due to the obvious changes in daily habits. One can only hope that people will be less forgetul during autumn than they were during summer, but hoping for people's good sense isn't always the best course of action. Second wave has been much less deadly, and a lot of that is due to much better tracking and preparedness (hence, earlier monitoring and treatment) and median age of cases being much lower... but if tracking can't keep its efficiency it will get worse.

Honestly, whole GP series feels like willfully fighting against a storm. It's wearing me out, and I don't even plan on following it!

The justification to ISU hanging onto GPs is that it's for skaters' sake... how the heck do they think are the IdF skaters feeling now? Not even one week after assignments were published? They're again facing doubt and uncertainty because of an entirely predictable development.

Just now, LadyLou said:

There's all the time for Grenoble rink to reopen, so I'm not holding my breath for cancellation. Though I do hope that, if it reopens in time for IDF, they won't have audience. In a month from now France might as well be in a declining phase, but it's Fall and there's little reason to think that once this wave passes there isn't another one just building up under the surface.

Again, Europe managed to get second wave in summer, when usually respiratory diseases slow down a lot due to the obvious changes in daily habits. One can only hope that people will be less forgetul during autumn than they were during summer, but hoping for people's good sense isn't always the best course of action. Second wave might have been much less deadly, and a lot of that is due to much better tracking and preparedness (hence, earlier monitoring and treatment) and median age of cases being much lower. But if tracking can't keep its efficiency it will get worse.

Honestly, whole GP series feels like willfully fighting against a storm. It's wearing me out, and I don't even plan on following it!

The justification is that they are hanging tight to GPs for skaters' sake... how the heck do they think are the IdF skaters feeling now? They're again facing doubt and uncertainty because of an entirely predictable development.

This is more relevant to CoViD specific thread maybe, but as a whole, except a little in Belgium, Netherlands and Spain, there have not been a "second wave" in Western Europe. The surveys I have seen about more or less random samplings and the absence of any excess of mortality elsewhere show it. The rise in official numbers of contamination result from a higher number of tests, a better tracking, and sometimes a higher cycle threshold in tests. It doesn't reflect the real number of contamination, which seems to be slowly decreasing as a whole.

Relying on people's good sense is hardly an option in France, because of the total heck of an official communication we have had from the beginning, and still have. :banginghead:

So people get an opinion (Nature abhors a vacuum, isn't it?) depending on their trust in such or such politician (with sometimes some influence from an illusion of invincibility) rather than on scientific surveys they cannot sort anyway.

This is why, if Grenoble skating rink want to have attendance, they will have to survey the premises, choose efficient measures and implement them with very clear signs and a (friendly and patient) checking.

LOL nevermind, it was just IFS rushing for a scoop when there was no scoop. Grenoble arena wasn't closed to to covid measures, but for works (and till Oct 18th)

hopefully the *works* are also done to better accomodate logistics of holding a comp with proper measure in places for the health of skaters staff and audience.

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

LOL nevermind, it was just IFS rushing for a scoop when there was no scoop. Grenoble arena wasn't closed to to covid measures, but for works (and till Oct 18th)

hopefully the *works* are also done to better accomodate logistics of holding a comp with proper measure in places for the health of skaters staff and audience.

Thank you for the correction! I have also read that the mayor of Grenoble, though quite serious about CoVid, had demanded justifications to the Prime Minister, about the restrictive measures recently implemented, some of which make no sense CoViD-wise. (He is not in charge of the skating rink, as the latter depends on the conurbation of Grenoble, not the city itself.)

On 9/24/2020 at 1:03 AM, Paskud said:

dun-dun-dun-dun

Olivier Véran announced the lowering of the authorized spectator gauge from 5,000 to 1,000 people in the red zone. This measure concerns towns located in so-called enhanced alert red zones, ie "areas where the virus is circulating very strongly". The metropolises of Bordeaux, Lyon and Nice were already in this heightened alert zone, they are joined by those of Lille, Toulouse, Saint-Etienne, Rennes, Rouen, Grenoble, Montpellier as well as Paris and the departments of the inner suburbs. The Aix-Marseille metropolis and Guadeloupe are affected by the maximum alert zone.

The Minister of Health has also announced the closure of gymnasiums and sports halls in red zones of enhanced alert. "These are confined spaces where wearing a mask is impossible or at least complex and which are, unfortunately, places of significant contamination", explained Olivier Véran. This measure should pose a lot of problems both for PE courses in middle and high schools but also for indoor sports championships. Will professional clubs be spared? Today it is difficult to know precisely what will happen.

Expand  

https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/omnisport/jauge-abaissee-1-000-spectateurs-fermeture-des-gymnases-ce-quil-faut-retenir-des?vzcz

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

33 minutes ago, Paskud said:

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Indeed, Lyon skating rinks had not reopened and Bordeaux Mériadeck skating rink closed on September 25th.
There is a good deal of contestation because for instance, Marseille was placed in maximum alert without meeting criteria — and these criteria keep changing, perplexing epidemiologists. Even from the mayor of Grenoble, as I wrote, though he is extremely "CoViD-consious". Let's see what happen next.

6 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

In France it has to be checked, otherwise it will not be followed by (nearly) everybody. Though I think figure skating spectators may be more aware and disciplined.

Here it's the same as you saw at test skates and checks were obviously not strict enough. At the same time now checks for masks are more strict in shops and other public places from it's stuff, cuz maybe they're more afraid of fines now, also some people may become more sensible cuz numbers are on the rise.

Hydroalcoholic solution is in a lot of places: shops, metro atc.

5 minutes ago, Melodie said:

Welp! ver 2.

That's not a very uplifting number 🙃 If it is because of better tracing, testing and recording, then yay! If not, well,... 

And France had almost 17 000 in one day. No matter if there are more tests or not, situation is horrible.

10 hours ago, Melodie said:

Welp! ver 2.

That's not a very uplifting number 🙃 If it is because of better tracing, testing and recording, then yay! If not, well,... 

Hidden answer because it is technical consideration about CoViD.

Spoiler

As Russia is among the countries who seem to report accurately everyday the number of tests as well as the number of positive cases, I could check there were still around 300.000 tests per day, like a few weeks ago when they would report a bit over 5000 positive tests per day, so incidence have doubled (but in late spring, during the epidemic phase, there were around 11.000 positive tests per day, with only 100.000 tests being made). What remains unknown is if the public tested have changed (I tend to think it hasn't changed completely, at least not to the point of explaining a doubling of the incidence in a few days) and if the cycle threshold has been changed (the higher the CT, the more positive cases you get, but with more and more false positives; over 35 you get only false positives, people who had no real virus in the sample), here too I don't think so but have no element to prove it.

11 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Hidden answer because it is technical consideration about CoViD.

Partly numbers are increasing cuz from September school and university has started, also people came back from vacation. But why numbers are increasing so fast, I don't really know. There's a mandority testing at work, around 10% of company workers every 2 weeks (but this rule is from summer already), my friend works in big company and was tested several times already, I am in small and most work I am doing from home, so we're not tested at the office. Seeing now less people in the metro in the morning my guess is a lot came back to working from home or partly at least (some didn't come back to full time office even through summer, but my impression is there were more people in peak hours in the beginning of September). I think medical stuff is tested regularly, also police maybe. I can only say from experience of friends (mostly not mine though) not everybody with mild symptoms gets tested and hospitalizations are done only with high temperature, but I think in spring it was the same. But in April we had more or less strict lockdown, I am not sure it will be the same now.