Skating on the Planet

42 minutes ago, Xen said:

Has anyone figured out how to get your body to do straight line or outside edge Ina bauers? I think even if you start out parallel, it strangely always wants to turn into an inside edge.

I've been doing the exercise of doing the ina bauer on one of the rink lines so you know it's straight. it's quite hard and i can't hold it for very long... basically  it just requires insane turnout, i felt like my hips were being ripped apart. 

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

You were in Chelsea Piers today?! I was there from 6-8 today. I wonder if we saw each other without realizing. And nice!! I tried Ina Bauers way back, and sort of succeeded (not layback!) a few times, fell on my butt 3 times. Haven't tried since :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Haha I was there from 8-10 so i guess we just missed each other :O :O do you usually go 6-8?

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha I was there from 8-10 so i guess we just missed each other :O :O do you usually go 6-8?

If I go it's usually 7-8, but I've only been going on Wednesdays lately (plus weekends). I'll be there tomorrow, if I manage to get up! Might need to leave early, since I have an 8:30 meeting at work :13877886:

10 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I've been doing the exercise of doing the ina bauer on one of the rink lines so you know it's straight. it's quite hard and i can't hold it for very long... basically  it just requires insane turnout, i felt like my hips were being ripped apart. 

Hmm... my hips weren't the issue, my ankles just want to turn into an inside edge. Then again, maaaybe it is not enough hip turnout (bummer, because the outside SE is doable on that side).

I always want to post a vid of skating...but then realize I freeze up and turn chicken as soon as a cellphone is pointed at me. The only videos I have seen anywhere involve colleagues stumbling across me practicing and taking sneak videos. :13877886:

6 hours ago, Xen said:

I always want to post a vid of skating...but then realize I freeze up and turn chicken as soon as a cellphone is pointed at me. The only videos I have seen anywhere involve colleagues stumbling across me practicing and taking sneak videos. :13877886:

Yes! Ask them to sneak record you! It sounds like the best plan c:

Tonight and until saturday, me and my colleagues will be lucky enough to do a small masterclass with Luca Lanotte... <3 it will be my first time meeting him and I am so excited, but on the other side I don't want him to think ill of me because I can't skate at all... but at least I am young and pretty so maybe he won't hate me

7 hours ago, Xen said:

Hmm... my hips weren't the issue, my ankles just want to turn into an inside edge. Then again, maaaybe it is not enough hip turnout (bummer, because the outside SE is doable on that side).

Oh I dunno about an outside edge, that sounds difficult! But when I try to do an IB on a line the edge does grind a lot as if not sure which edge to be on :think:

Went skating a couple more times. My sculling/lemons/swizzles/whatever they're called got better, yay! I can link several in a row now and they take less effort than before, woo. I can even do several in a row backwards if I get lucky. And I can stop without crashing to the wall now, even if its more like a snowplow-swizzle-stop rather than a legit snowplow. Week 1 of learning how to skate is going well. :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I should sign up for actual lessons though.

Bad news is some lady yelled at me for not looking where I was going when skating backwards. :14066882: Oops. I was so focused on not falling and figuring out how to even move my legs that I forgot, I guess. But you coulda been nicer about it, lady, since I'm obviously a total noob (seriously, my attempts at backward strokes that were not swizzles were dire) and was clinging to the wall moving so slowly my 80 year old grandma with a bad knee could've outrun me :sadPooh: That was a bit of a bummer. 

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Yes! Ask them to sneak record you! It sounds like the best plan c:

Tonight and until saturday, me and my colleagues will be lucky enough to do a small masterclass with Luca Lanotte... <3 it will be my first time meeting him and I am so excited, but on the other side I don't want him to think ill of me because I can't skate at all... but at least I am young and pretty so maybe he won't hate me

OMG, lucky! Don't worry, I think passion for skating makes up for a lack of skill at those events. =) Also, most advanced skaters are more understanding. 

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Oh I dunno about an outside edge, that sounds difficult! But when I try to do an IB on a line the edge does grind a lot as if not sure which edge to be on :think:

I am curious which side has to have more turnout. Like outside SE, I find that the leading forward outside edge has to have greater turnout for me to hold the edge well. Hm, like if I do a clockwise outside SE, my right foot has greater turnout, so to a degree my legs/hips are slightly more than 180. Not sure how it works yet for IB, since even straight line ones are evading me. :13877886:

7 hours ago, Xen said:

OMG, lucky! Don't worry, I think passion for skating makes up for a lack of skill at those events. =) Also, most advanced skaters are more understanding. 

omg yessss he and Walter Rizzo were soooo kind...

Luca is soooo beautiful and his crossovers. His crossovers are to die for. Never seen such softness before my eyes so close. 

Since I was the less advanced, he gave me a hand a couple of times and aaaahhhheeedddwww he so soft. I am in love. 

We will have 2 more hours on saturday and the plan is to ask Luca to lift me. I wanna do a lift. Oh Yes.

8 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

omg yessss he and Walter Rizzo were soooo kind...

Luca is soooo beautiful and his crossovers. His crossovers are to die for. Never seen such softness before my eyes so close. 

Since I was the less advanced, he gave me a hand a couple of times and aaaahhhheeedddwww he so soft. I am in love. 

We will have 2 more hours on saturday and the plan is to ask Luca to lift me. I wanna do a lift. Oh Yes.

Right, so you can be persuaded by a guy's crossovers? o_O Your bf needs to know that. He needs to know crossovers to fend off the crossovers from other guys.

Hmm...good luck, hope he says yes and have fun!

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Right, so you can be persuaded by a guy's crossovers? o_O Your bf needs to know that. He needs to know crossovers to fend off the crossovers from other guys.

Hmm...good luck, hope he says yes and have fun!

You should see in first person! I'm sure his crossovers would persuade anyone.

(My bf forgets to reply to my messages so he deserves nothing, I can escape with Luca Lanotte anywhen) 

Also, they taught us mohawks, inside edge and outside edge, we did some three turns as toeloop entry and some did single toeloops (I wanna learn iiiittttt), I once again realized I have no edges, Luca spoke to us about the weight in the shoulders while doing forward and backward crossovers. Basically, he said to put weight on the shoulder parallel to the foot who's doing the pushing (for backwards crossovers), the foot who's crossing over basically. Because if you put the weight in the shoulder inside the circle, then the line is a little bit too tilted towards the centre of the circle, because already the inclination of the feet are bringing you in - so to kind of balance that out, the weight on the upper body actually goes on the outside shoulder. It was very interesting. 

Also they told us how to put our arms up when spinning or jumping (letting the arm pass in front of the chest, under the other arm and going up, and not behind the head or something else).

Then towards the end Luca got heart attacks because or jumps landings were very dangerous, I basically landed a Waltz jump with the free leg's knee at the height of my chest, and a colleague of mine managed to underrotate a Waltz because she got nervous about Luca watching her and just stomped on the ice LOLOLOL.

Basically, we are so not serious. 

12 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

My outside edges are fighting me again (especially the right one) so i spent almost an hour today doing nothing but edge work  :waffle:

weirdly, back outside edges were doing just fine still 

Ugh, mine do that on occasion. Do you know the reason they do that? In my case what helps is to tighten the skates more (which unfortunately results in knee bend becoming harder :13877886:). But I still can't find a way to completely fix my issues with overpronation, so my outside edges are a mess half the time. The worst is when it happens during spin entries, my coach has pointed it out several times by now, but idk what to do about it :shrug: 

10 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Ugh, mine do that on occasion. Do you know the reason they do that? In my case what helps is to tighten the skates more (which unfortunately results in knee bend becoming harder :13877886:). But I still can't find a way to completely fix my issues with overpronation, so my outside edges are a mess half the time. The worst is when it happens during spin entries, my coach has pointed it out several times by now, but idk what to do about it :shrug: 

Tightening the skate does help to a degree but on the ither hand that’s not really adressing the problem is it? I just gotta git gud and that takes time and practice I guess 

Spoiler

I'm in a frustrating skating streak again. Feels like all I am doing is regressing. It sucks not being able to use my left foot properly and it sucks not being able to skate in the mornings when the ice is empty. All the people on the ice make me loose my focus and I end up more preoccupied with avoiding/getting mad at people than minding my posture. There was this dude today skidding a kid across the ice on one of those skating aids they give out for kids, against the general skating direction and at fiull speed. And then he proceeded to spin the kid around on the same skating aid. FFS.

And my 3turns into flips have been curving and my flips have gotten shitty... but it hurts to force lfo 3turns too much. My ankle never stops hurting nowadays.

I just want to whine a bit. Off to watch the ladies I shouldn't have stayed up for.