Skating on the Planet

I have my flips back! Unfortunately it was dark so the video didn’t come out too well. 

My flips are different and much more stable now! Well, I am prerotating more and I have more of a loop-like technique now but that also means it’s a lot more stable. Miraculously I could do these after daring to try a few at the boards. I haven’t been trying flips at all up to this point so I am happy to say the least and still a bit in disbelief :rofl: 

Got lots to work on tho. My arms are crazy. And maybe I can reduce my prerotation. 

And this is how my flips used to look like but they only worked like 10% of the time. Totally different feeling. I wasn’t really crossing my legs. 

1 hour ago, robin said:

I have my flips back! Unfortunately it was dark so the video didn’t come out too well. 

My flips are different and much more stable now! Well, I am prerotating more and I have more of a loop-like technique now but that also means it’s a lot more stable. Miraculously I could do these after daring to try a few at the boards. I haven’t been trying flips at all up to this point so I am happy to say the least and still a bit in disbelief :rofl: 

Got lots to work on tho. My arms are crazy. And maybe I can reduce my prerotation. 

And this is how my flips used to look like but they only worked like 10% of the time. Totally different feeling. I wasn’t really crossing my legs. 

Congrats for getting your flips back!

Yes, having better blades and larger toepicks is AMAZING!

:winky:

• 2 weeks later...

Tried skating for the first time a few months ago. Got pretty decent for only going three times and without having an instructor I think. I could skate for a decent time without support, glide a bit, do those two footed strokes where you make 8s forwards and even a little bit backwards, and even sort of do a hockey stop.

Tried again today. Whelp, I'm a complete beginner again :13877886:More clinging onto boards for dear life for me.

7 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Tried skating for the first time a few months ago. Got pretty decent for only going three times and without having an instructor I think. I could skate for a decent time without support, glide a bit, do those two footed strokes where you make 8s forwards and even a little bit backwards, and even sort of do a hockey stop.

Tried again today. Whelp, I'm a complete beginner again :13877886:More clinging onto boards for dear life for me.

Welcome to joining us in this masochistic endeavor called learning figure skating! Unfortunately, Zu's "Shuu-Pa!" only help after a while. Thought maybe you can try the "ton ton su"?:winky:

(now I feel like us satellites need to meet up at a comp and actually go skating together! I can teach hydroblading!)

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Welcome to joining us in this masochistic endeavor called learning figure skating! Unfortunately, Zu's "Shuu-Pa!" only help after a while. Thought maybe you can try the "ton ton su"?:winky:

(now I feel like us satellites need to meet up at a comp and actually go skating together! I can teach hydroblading!)

Haha, thanks. I figure I should take up figure skating because it's the only form of exercise I'm actually motivated to do. Thanks for helping me stay healthy, Yuzu!

Second half of skating session went better. My main form of stopping is still crashing into the boards, but I worked my way up to laps around the rink without dying, so that's good. Sorta was able to manage some of those two foot figure 8 strokes (what are they called?), though they were pretty crummy. Had to stop because I was tired and my feet hurt way too much--the rental skates at the rink I went to are awful. I guess I should bite the financial bullet and buy myself my own pair of skates.

Haha, that would be fun. I wanna hydroblade. Though I think I need to work on developing leg strength and general skating skills first :dbana:

41 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Haha, thanks. I figure I should take up figure skating because it's the only form of exercise I'm actually motivated to do. Thanks for helping me stay healthy, Yuzu!

Second half of skating session went better. My main form of stopping is still crashing into the boards, but I worked my way up to laps around the rink without dying, so that's good. Sorta was able to manage some of those two foot figure 8 strokes (what are they called?), though they were pretty crummy. Had to stop because I was tired and my feet hurt way too much--the rental skates at the rink I went to are awful. I guess I should bite the financial bullet and buy myself my own pair of skates.

Haha, that would be fun. I wanna hydroblade. Though I think I need to work on developing leg strength and general skating skills first :dbana:

1) Lemons or sculling? Think that's what those 2 foot figure 8 strokes are.

2) Hydroblading- I do mine on my left leg. My right leg and back inside edge is too weak to hold it. Rinkmate of mine does his on the right leg.

3 hours ago, shanshani said:

Thanks for helping me stay healthy, Yuzu!

I beg tto differ. Maybe my whole life I went to the ER 5 times. The last 3 times all happened within the last year all because of skating. Just saying. I am giving you an opportunity to back out bc once you start it’s hard to stop but also skating is so much fun and I greatly encourage you to take up skating full-time!!! 

49 minutes ago, robin said:

I beg tto differ. Maybe my whole life I went to the ER 5 times. The last 3 times all happened within the last year all because of skating. Just saying. I am giving you an opportunity to back out bc once you start it’s hard to stop but also skating is so much fun and I greatly encourage you to take up skating full-time!!! 

Oh yeah. I've never twisted, sprain or tore anything before. But tore my left ankle ligaments slipping on a toe loop take off. It's better now...but I guess my ankle can take the pain to ensure that Yuzu's ankle is well. XD

1 hour ago, robin said:

True, I guess I'm trading injuries for better cardiovascular health and core and leg strength. Oh well, public healthcare is good where I live now, but not good where I will most likely live when I get older, . It *is* lots of fun and gets me off the couch haha

1) Lemons or sculling? Think that's what those 2 foot figure 8 strokes are.

Ah, yes, thank you!

On 10/22/2018 at 2:42 AM, shanshani said:

Yeah this was the same as when I was first skating, too. You really need to go like, more than once a week to not have to relearn everything each time T_T but you will improve, i promise!! 

BTW I tried to do a layback ina bauer today. It wasn't really a layback ina bauer but I will slowly slowly work on that :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

8 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah this was the same as when I was first skating, too. You really need to go like, more than once a week to not have to relearn everything each time T_T but you will improve, i promise!! 

BTW I tried to do a layback ina bauer today. It wasn't really a layback ina bauer but I will slowly slowly work on that :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

You were in Chelsea Piers today?! I was there from 6-8 today. I wonder if we saw each other without realizing. And nice!! I tried Ina Bauers way back, and sort of succeeded (not layback!) a few times, fell on my butt 3 times. Haven't tried since :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Has anyone figured out how to get your body to do straight line or outside edge Ina bauers? I think even if you start out parallel, it strangely always wants to turn into an inside edge.

No, but I'll ask my coach to teach me on Sunday! Or well, she can try, I'll probably fail :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:Outside is so much harder :13877886: I still can't do a decent outside spread eagle, no matter how hard I try... 

1 minute ago, guitarist said:

No, but I'll ask my coach to teach me on Sunday! Or well, she can try, I'll probably fail :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:Outside is so much harder :13877886: I still can't do a decent outside spread eagle, no matter how hard I try... 

I still can't lean fully back, though I can force the edge to turn outside....how to tuck butt in is a good question. 

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

I still can't lean fully back, though I can force the edge to turn outside....how to tuck butt in is a good question. 

Yeah, it's so hard, outside  requires so much turnout. When I do outside my body ends up looking like this: 

/

\

:13877886:

And I can't fully straighten my knees... But I don't feel that bad about it, most of the kids who compete and train in the mornings still do the same thing and they've been at it for years! Now my edges... those I feel bad about :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: