Skating on the Planet

2 hours ago, robin said:
  Hide contents

I'm in a frustrating skating streak again. Feels like all I am doing is regressing. It sucks not being able to use my left foot properly and it sucks not being able to skate in the mornings when the ice is empty. All the people on the ice make me loose my focus and I end up more preoccupied with avoiding/getting mad at people than minding my posture. There was this dude today skidding a kid across the ice on one of those skating aids they give out for kids, against the general skating direction and at fiull speed. And then he proceeded to spin the kid around on the same skating aid. FFS.

And my 3turns into flips have been curving and my flips have gotten shitty... but it hurts to force lfo 3turns too much. My ankle never stops hurting nowadays.

I just want to whine a bit. Off to watch the ladies I shouldn't have stayed up for.

Try using a mohawk entry. It'll help with the left ankle because it automatically comes with a more flat/shallow LBI curve. 

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Try using a mohawk entry. It'll help with the left ankle because it automatically comes with a more flat/shallow LBI curve. 

It's funny you say that. For some reason I find mohwaks really confusing and I can only do them in one direction... But maybe I should actually work on them for my flip.

So today we finished the stage with Luca c: 

HE LIFTED MEEEEE

But I don't know if I have a video yet. If I do, I will post it lol, but the force pulling me outside was so strong, my headbend flew off of my head LOL. And I screamed. I didn't know lifts were so Extra. And Luca laughed at my red face. Adorable. 

Also, there was one guy in our group who was always skating on his own, and could do everything flawlessly. Luca called him Yuzuru Hanyu LOL. 

Bought my first skates! The fitting was kind of confusing because they fitted me for size 7 but it felt too loose so I opted for size 6.5. I could still wiggle my toes and there was space left at the back, so I hope I made the right decision by going with the smaller size.

46 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Bought my first skates! The fitting was kind of confusing because they fitted me for size 7 but it felt too loose so I opted for size 6.5. I could still wiggle my toes and there was space left at the back, so I hope I made the right decision by going with the smaller size.

High heels size/dress shoe size. It should be your feet length +0.5-0.7 cm for wiggle space.

So say, tennis shoes I'm a US size 5, but I go down 0.5 size to maybe 1 size for my skating boots.

23 minutes ago, Xen said:

High heels size/dress shoe size. It should be your feet length +0.5-0.7 cm for wiggle space.

So say, tennis shoes I'm a US size 5, but I go down 0.5 size to maybe 1 size for my skating boots.

I usually wear 6.5-7 US, so based on that 6.5 doesn't sound too small at all

15 minutes ago, Xen said:

Okay, well I do have tiny feet. >_>

So what boots and what blades did you get?

Jackson freestyle, with the default blade. I'm a bit worried that I'm slightly overbooted since I'm a total noob, but it doesn't sound like too much of a problem since I'm a normal size adult? I didn't want to keep buying new boots as I progressed up. Between flying to see competitions and paying for lessons, I don't want to be completely broke :13877886:

Speaking of lessons, the skate shop people asked me what my coach recommended >_< so I had to tell them I didn't have one yet. I did make inquiries at my local rink, and they said they'd get back to me soon. Maybe I should have waited...but ugh rentals suck so much. At one rink I went to, literally all the rentals had blades with lots of visible rust. It's a shame, because that rink had the most comfortable boots, but it sure made skating difficult.

1 minute ago, shanshani said:

Jackson freestyle, with the default blade. I'm a bit worried that I'm slightly overbooted since I'm a total noob, but it doesn't sound like too much of a problem since I'm a normal size adult? I didn't want to keep buying new boots as I progressed up. Between flying to see competitions and paying for lessons, I don't want to be completely broke :13877886:

Speaking of lessons, the skate shop people asked me what my coach recommended >_< so I had to tell them I didn't have one yet. I did make inquiries at my local rink, and they said they'd get back to me soon. Maybe I should have waited...but ugh rentals suck so much. At one rink I went to, literally all the rentals had blades with lots of visible rust. It's a shame, because that rink had the most comfortable boots, but it sure made skating difficult.

Jackson freestyles? Should be fine for now. But probably won't hold you up if you plan to jump.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:25 PM, Murieleirum said:

So today we finished the stage with Luca c: 

HE LIFTED MEEEEE

But I don't know if I have a video yet. If I do, I will post it lol, but the force pulling me outside was so strong, my headbend flew off of my head LOL. And I screamed. I didn't know lifts were so Extra. And Luca laughed at my red face. Adorable. 

Also, there was one guy in our group who was always skating on his own, and could do everything flawlessly. Luca called him Yuzuru Hanyu LOL. 

OMG LOL

(also that's so cool :jaw:)

On 10/24/2018 at 1:58 PM, guitarist said:

If I go it's usually 7-8, but I've only been going on Wednesdays lately (plus weekends). I'll be there tomorrow, if I manage to get up! Might need to leave early, since I have an 8:30 meeting at work :13877886:

Aww, we should plan to go skating together sometime tho :) Also I haven't been skating that much this winter yet bc of traveling and moving and stuff, oh shit 

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

Jackson freestyles? Should be fine for now. But probably won't hold you up if you plan to jump.

Haha, well I assume that'll be a while since my repetoir is currently limited to bad forward stroking, forward and backward swizzles, and bad snowplow stops. I have a tendecy to destroy footwear, so I will probably need new boots by the time I'm up to anything more than a waltz.

17 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Haha, well I assume that'll be a while since my repetoir is currently limited to bad forward stroking, forward and backward swizzles, and bad snowplow stops. I have a tendecy to destroy footwear, so I will probably need new boots by the time I'm up to anything more than a waltz.

You might want to switch blades as soon as you hit spinning. =D

Good luck and have fun!

57 minutes ago, Xen said:

You might want to switch blades as soon as you hit spinning. =D

Good luck and have fun!

Talk about spinning, my friend got me a spinner for present. 

I am obsessed and I keep having nausea out of practice. 

Tips to reduce nausea when practicing spins? try to center them all the time?