Other Sports

sallycinnamon

Congratulations, Naomi! Well deserved title! She was the better player! She doesn't deserved that awkward award ceremony! I have the biggest respect for Serena, she is an amazing tennis player and a legend of the sport but tonight she was too much! Like Matts Wilander said, she knows the rules and she can't do something like that! From that moment on the final was spoiled! Poor Naomi ... ppl booed her and she couldn't stop her tears all the ceremony long! Ugly situation ... really ugly ....

That is appalling - poor Naomi - Arthur Ashe for whom the stadium was named must be spinning in his grave, he was a perfect gentleman in the face of boorish behaviour from the likes of Jimmy Connors. Sports crowds.....

12 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Congratulations, Naomi! Well deserved title! She was the better player! She doesn't deserved that awkward award ceremony! I have the biggest respect for Serena, she is an amazing tennis player and a legend of the sport but tonight she was too much! Like Matts Wilander said, she knows the rules and she can't do something like that! From that moment on the final was spoiled! Poor Naomi ... ppl booed her and she couldn't stop her tears all the ceremony long! Ugly situation ... really ugly ....

It was not the first time that Serena had issues at US Open. :slinkaway:

What surprised me more that people booed Naomi when she didn't do anything wrong and was clearly the better player tonight. It was so so low. They ruined the ceremony and her right to celebrate her first GS victory there.

I am really happy for Naomi though. She's so talented and such a nice, humble girl. It's also a historic victory for Japan, their first GS victory. Congratulations to her again! 

13 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

It was not the first time that Serena had issues at US Open. :slinkaway:

What surprised me more that people booed Naomi when she didn't do anything wrong and was clearly the better player tonight. It was so so low. They ruined the ceremony and her right to celebrate her first GS victory there.

I am really happy for Naomi though. She's so talented and such a nice, humble girl. It's also a historic victory for Japan, their first GS victory. Congratulations to her again! 

So true! I really like her, too! I hope her game will grow and I expect her to have good results on clay and grass, too not only on hard! Great victory, indeed! Such a shame abt what happened!

Kei Nishikori also made a very strong tournament! A pity abt the semifinal, but he was so tired after his match with Cilic and Djokovic played really good, was too strong for him! Amazing competition for both japanese players! Congrats, again! :clapping-smiley:

I was SOOOO happy. I've been watching Naomi for a while and totally deserved the win. She didn't let Serena's drama impact her and instead showed great composure when she could have wilted under the weight of the crowd's disapproval. Serena often seems to show poor behaviour when she is losing so this whole thing was no surprise to me. It's why I have never been a fan of hers, although I respect her competitive drive.

Naomi certainly didn't deserve the decided lack of cheers when she won and I think it affected her ability to really soak in the win at the actual moment, which is unfortunate. She had her dream moment and it ended in a way no one could have foreseen. The booing at the ceremony showed a total lack of class and the poor girl was in tears at her own victory ceremony. She was the better player in the match and deserved the win and I hope she can just forget all that and celebrate her tremendous achievement with all of those who helped her get there.

Hmmm... i wonder how this win will affect her endorsements.... I think she'll be getting more than the 3.8 million dollar winner's cheque.... :)

Watched the whole drama, and whew. Williams was just... too much. Talk about not handling the pressure well.

(As someone who adores the most temperamental Badminton men's doubles player ever, I feel for the fans, but also, come on!)

And it took away the whole historic moment for Osaka. She is robbed her moment. Her subdued face while lifting the trophy... *flashback to bby Zu winning his first JPNats

Admittedly, I don't know much about tennis. But the umpire didn't do anything wrong, right? Those calls were all warranted.

ETA: Ah, there lies the problem. It's the double standard of men-women, again. I mean, I'd rather outbursts not happen at all, but yes. Had Williams been a man, I don't think it would have escalated that quick and that far.

5 hours ago, moonkat said:

So is Carlos Ramos the Shin Amano of tennis?

According to this article, pretty much.

If Ramos is guilty of anything, it is in showing very little to no leniency — offering no leeway — to Serena. This is not new, though: Ramos has been a hard-ass to Novak Djokovic in the past, including for a racquet bounce on the playing surface at Wimbledon this past July. The narrow rulings Ramos has handed down are not empirically wrong in relationship to the rule book , but the problem emerges when one realizes that very few other umpires enforce the rule book with the same (strict) consistency. Ramos has enforced the time violation more than many umpires. He cited Djokovic for verbal abuse at a recent French Open (I forget which one). It is as though Ramos has his own pattern of enforcement.

I love the new time clock between serves. Some of these guys just take forever between serves and they need to be reigned in. I love an umpire that finally enforces rules and doesn't care if you are djokovic or nadal.

This umpire could have said to Serena that she was getting close to a 3rd infraction so she would know to reign it in, but she was so frazzled by Osaka and then frustrated with the point penalty that I doubt it would have stopped her. Having watched Serena for 2 decades, once she has gone over the edge she has troubles calming down.  I was afraid that if it had gone to a 3rd set, the audience would have just made it virtually impossible for Osaka .... I was so relieved she was able to serve it out.

On the men's side: if Delpo can win, my happiness will be as complete as possible, considering my goat lost earlier last week....