Hey, remember us?

I am very irritable.  A Nathan Chen fan has done a vid comparing him to John Curry - carefully curated bits that pick out 'balletic' arm movements and some of those transitions that got ditched as the season wore on, and conveniently leaves out the stiff legged landings and heavily telegraphed jumps.  Nathan can jump but he doesn't skate fluidly enough to be compared to Curry, and superimposing the comments about Curry from the likes of Anthony Dowell over footage of both skaters sits badly with me - the implication that he is a modern day version when he cares nothing for the artistic side and has said so makes me very angry.

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

I am very irritable.  A Nathan Chen fan has done a vid comparing him to John Curry - carefully curated bits that pick out 'balletic' arm movements and some of those transitions that got ditched as the season wore on, and conveniently leaves out the stiff legged landings and heavily telegraphed jumps.  Nathan can jump but he doesn't skate fluidly enough to be compared to Curry, and superimposing the comments about Curry from the likes of Anthony Dowell over footage of both skaters sits badly with me - the implication that he is a modern day version when he cares nothing for the artistic side and has said so makes me very angry.

I think I know what you're talking about, and where it came from. Don't worry, there are more credible sources that compare Yuzuru to Curry.

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

Ouch, that's pretty insulting to Curry, imo.

Not sure if anyone else here is an Uncle Kurt fan. Came across this video of him doing amazing bladework on pond ice-which is less smooth and more taxing.

(seriously though, it's just because I'm in awe of Kurt's footwork and SS):

19 hours ago, Xen said:

Not sure if anyone else here is an Uncle Kurt fan. Came across this video of him doing amazing bladework on pond ice-which is less smooth and more taxing.

(seriously though, it's just because I'm in awe of Kurt's footwork and SS):

Wow. I've skated on outdoor rinks in the middle of the winter, not even pond ice, and it's so exhausting. Respect.

Seriously, though, that footwork :bow:

• 2 weeks later...