I've fallen down the BTS rabbit hole and can't get out. No need to send help, I'm quite happy down here, but drinks and snacks would be appreciated.

//all right, totally serious now: How is it possible that the entire world hasn't discovered and fallen in love with this group yet? I'm blown away.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

I've fallen down the BTS rabbit hole and can't get out. No need to send help, I'm quite happy down here, but drinks and snacks would be appreciated.

//all right, totally serious now: How is it possible that the entire world hasn't discovered and fallen in love with this group yet? I'm blown away.

Apparently I'm 7 years behind, but I've been watching them all this week because I watch a lot of Youtube and they've been showing up on my suggestions, get mentioned by Youtubers I watch, and have been on Jimmy Fallon.

I don't like to watch anything not in English as I hate not understanding what's going on but I've gotten super into them the last few days. Still won't be able to identify any member other than RM, but the performances are amazing. I know that they lip synch but even if there is audio manipulation, you can't deny the performing talent at least.

This reminds me of when I went to the dentist and she saw the Yuzu pic on my phone (I have the Citizen suit pic) and my dentist asked me if I liked K-pop. 

13 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Apparently I'm 7 years behind, but I've been watching them all this week because I watch a lot of Youtube and they've been showing up on my suggestions, get mentioned by Youtubers I watch, and have been on Jimmy Fallon.

I don't like to watch anything not in English as I hate not understanding what's going on but I've gotten super into them the last few days. Still won't be able to identify any member other than RM, but the performances are amazing. I know that they lip synch but even if there is audio manipulation, you can't deny the performing talent at least.

This reminds me of when I went to the dentist and she saw the Yuzu pic on my phone (I have the Citizen suit pic) and my dentist asked me if I liked K-pop. 

LOL. Not really sure why Yuzu ----> K-Pop, but it's still funny.

I've been watching them on Jimmy Fallon all week too. Also, I'm assuming you've heard Dynamite, which is in all English, and very boppable.

I don't mind not understanding words when it's singing. I can still get something out of the music itself. But if you really want to know more about what's going on in their songs, a lot of their stuff either has English subtitles on YouTube, or you can find great translations at https://genius.com/artists/Genius-english-translations

or on this YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmth4hMyizG-_W9jidBqs_A

One thing that's great about them is that they've actually put out a lot of non-music content, and most of it is English subtitled as well. So you get to see things like their choreography practices and their working process when they're putting together an album etc.

Also, they really do sing:

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I've been watching them on Jimmy Fallon all week too. Also, I'm assuming you've heard Dynamite, which is in all English, and very boppable.

I don't mind not understanding words when it's singing. I can still get something out of the music itself. But if you really want to know more about what's going on in their songs, a lot of their stuff either has English subtitles on YouTube, or you can find great translations at https://genius.com/artists/Genius-english-translations

or on this YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmth4hMyizG-_W9jidBqs_A

One thing that's great about them is that they've actually put out a lot of non-music content, and most of it is English subtitled as well. So you get to see things like their choreography practices and their working process when they're putting together an album etc.

Also, they really do sing:

Amazing artists that I just discovered about a month and a half ago thanks to the Dynamite  single and since then I'm on the rabbit hole watching and listening to their music!

I mean I heard abt them before but I just thought that they are just an usual k-pop boy band but I was sooooo wrong!

Their discography is huge and I must say that I'm very very impressed !!! They are really great and yes, they can really sing! I saw quite a few of their live performances on YT! WOW!!!

They usually have subtitles on their MV! Watching with subtitles is a must! Their lyrics are always so meaningful !

And, btw,The Jimmy Fallon BTS week was awesome!

36 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Amazing artists that I just discovered about a month and a half ago thanks to the Dynamite  single and since then I'm on the rabbit hole watching and listening to their music!

I mean I heard abt them before but I just thought that they are just an usual k-pop boy band but I was sooooo wrong!

Their discography is huge and I must say that I'm very very impressed !!! They are really great and yes, they can really sing! I saw quite a few of their live performances on YT! WOW!!!

They usually have subtitles on their MV! Watching with subtitles is a must! Their lyrics are always so meaningful !

And, btw,The Jimmy Fallon BTS week was awesome!

Did you catch tonight's performance? They finished by rollerskating, and Jimin was so good at it that I'm positive he's done figure skating in the past.

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Did you catch tonight's performance? They finished by rollerskating, and Jimin was so good at it that I'm positive he's done figure skating in the past.

I just watch it! It was so funny! With V falling around on his skates! Lol they can skate, too! 

The music performance was great this time, too! My fave was Black Swan but I enjoyed all of it! Awesome!

I can say that I'm a baby Army stil learning abt them ! I don't have a bias! I like them all!

6 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I just watch it! It was so funny! With V falling around on his skates! Lol they can skate, too! 

The music performance was great this time, too! My fave was Black Swan but I enjoyed all of it! Awesome!

I can say that I'm a baby Army stil learning abt them ! I don't have a bias! I like them all!

I've only been an ARMY for a month and my bias has already changed between all 7 of them once around. Currently I'm back to RM but Suga's gaining on him fast. But then I look at J-Hope's smile and it's all over, etc etc...and that's the way it goes, round and round and round. :coffeebath: . It's a great distraction from life right now, that's for sure! 

On 10/2/2020 at 6:28 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

I took it as a compliment. She didn't know who Yuzu was so I'm guessing she just associated him with where Americans normally associate young, beautiful, famous Asian men.  I thought - "I'm not that biased. Even without the heavy makeup, he really is so pretty that he was just assumed to be a k-pop star"

On 10/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

I've only been an ARMY for a month and my bias has already changed between all 7 of them once around. Currently I'm back to RM but Suga's gaining on him fast. 

My current favorite is RM too! He seems to be one of the least popular members so I'm glad to see that he's getting some love on this side of the ocean. Even with the caked on makeup, he has a sexy masculine swagger while exuding sensitivity and extremely high intelligence.  He also has a beautiful speaking voice and I like that he has the most distinctive look.  But when I searched for more information about them, one of the first things I saw was how he gets all this hate for being too ugly for K-pop! ☹️

I guess I'm not surprised since I know Korean beauty standards are so high and narrow but still disappointing. As someone adopted from South Korea, one of the things I've always said was fortunate about being American is that I'm considered thin and attractive for this area but I'm certain that I would be considered fat and ugly in South Korea.

I think my current 2nd favorite is Jimin but I'm not sure. This morning I watched a bunch of videos about him being so pretty that he was flipping straight men 😆  But I also think he might be the best dancer and he has an angelic voice.

But I still don't know much about the other members. It doesn't help that people refer to them by different names. And I turned on the English captioning to a video and I got the ever so helpful captions of [rapping in Korean] and [singing in Korean].   Right now, I've been searching up their live performances - it's amazing that they're consistently more impressive than the videos

5 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

My current favorite is RM too! He seems to be one of the least popular members so I'm glad to see that he's getting some love on this side of the ocean. Even with the caked on makeup, he has a sexy masculine swagger while exuding sensitivity and extremely high intelligence.  He also has a beautiful speaking voice and I like that he has the most distinctive look.  But when I searched for more information about them, one of the first things I saw was how he gets all this hate for being too ugly for K-pop! ☹️

I wholeheartedly agree. RM has an air of confidence that is very appealing. Plus he's got a sharp wit and is very funny. I was so surprised when I read that he's not considered handsome by Korean standards because he is gorgeous. Him and J-Hope. Apparently it's even worse for J-Hope and there are people who will go in the comments on his livestreams even now and call him ugly to his face...which just goes to show what a cesspool the internet can be. Because that boy is also fine. Absolutely a looker. It really makes me wonder about how appearance is evaluated in South Korea. 

If you watch enough content you'll find a reason to like all of them. I think the thing that overall impresses me the most is how hard they all work. Take a look at the video about the making of the 'ON: Kinetic Manifesto' MV and you'll see what I mean. At the end of the shoot, Jungkook mentions that he can't feel his legs anymore, and, well, you can see why.

Although they're not athletes, they are doing things that require an elite level of athletic ability and some crazy stamina. It's seriously impressive on video, but to think that they do those kinds of things for two hours straight during a concert blows my mind... they're basically running a marathon every night when they're on tour....

On 10/5/2020 at 2:22 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

I wholeheartedly agree. RM has an air of confidence that is very appealing. Plus he's got a sharp wit and is very funny. I was so surprised when I read that he's not considered handsome by Korean standards because he is gorgeous.

I've been watching reaction videos lately. In one, these 2 guys who have never seen BTS before, watched their Mic Drop video. They assumed they were a normal boy band like N'SYNC and Backstreet Boys where each member was cast to be a character and when RM was featured:

Guy 1: "I thought the previous dude was the 'bad boy' but this is definitely the 'Bad Boy' "

Guy 2: "Man, that's the prettiest bad boy I've ever seen"

One thing about them being so "ugly" is that BTS as you know it today would likely not have existed if J-Hope, RM, and Suga were prettier. I read that it was originally supposed to be a pure hip hop band but part of the reason they transitioned to an idol group was that they just weren't pretty enough to be marketable in Korea.  

Have you seen their 2019 MMA performance?  I meant to watch one last quick reaction video before taking a nap before work thinking that "it's just an award show performance" and didn't realize until I was already into it that it's 30 minutes... I did not get that nap in.  Here's the actual performance.

22:30 as soon as the music played, I knew it was going to be Jimin's solo. 

27:50 Throughout all the dance solos, I kept wondering what they were going to do with RM since it seems like they normally sort of hide his dancing but him just walking out like that was as impactful as any of the solos.

It reminded me of Dick Button commentating 1997 Worlds after Oksana Grishuk finished her Libertango and just held the mood of the dance for several moments afterwards - he used some Italian word, referring to the power of “the way she stands there”. RM has that certain type of quality where you feel this overwhelming sense of being in the presence of something important. In the past, when describing Yuzu in his serious mode, I called it “gravitas” and I think Vladimir Morozov also exudes a regalness that makes you look at him.  This particular type of charisma is what separates a Yuzu from a Nathan.  This is the difference between 2016 Yuzu and 2018 Yuzu.

And then just the way he sat at the table afterwards. All the members were being serious, but RM looks lordly

btw, I was thinking that I liked RM for his intelligent and strong persona and Jimin's soft and cute persona and, I thought I really have a type. The fact that Yuzu possesses all the qualities is what makes him so compelling.

2 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I've been watching reaction videos lately. In one, these 2 guys who have never seen BTS before, watched their Mic Drop video. They assumed they were a normal boy band like N'SYNC and Backstreet Boys where each member was cast to be a character and when RM was featured:

Guy 1: "I thought the previous dude was the 'bad boy' but this is definitely the 'Bad Boy' "

Guy 2: "Man, that's the prettiest bad boy I've ever seen"

One thing about them being so "ugly" is that BTS as you know it today would likely not have existed if J-Hope, RM, and Suga were prettier. I read that it was originally supposed to be a pure hip hop band but part of the reason they transitioned to an idol group was that they just weren't pretty enough to be marketable in Korea.  

Have you seen their 2019 MMA performance?  I meant to watch one last quick reaction video before taking a nap before work thinking that "it's just an award show performance" and didn't realize until I was already into it that it's 30 minutes... I did not get that nap in.  Here's the actual performance.

22:30 as soon as the music played, I knew it was going to be Jimin's solo. 

27:50 Throughout all the dance solos, I kept wondering what they were going to do with RM since it seems like they normally sort of hide his dancing but him just walking out like that was as impactful as any of the solos.

It reminded me of Dick Button commentating 1997 Worlds after Oksana Grishuk finished her Libertango and just held the mood of the dance for several moments afterwards - he used some Italian word, referring to the power of “the way she stands there”. RM has that certain type of quality where you feel this overwhelming sense of being in the presence of something important. In the past, when describing Yuzu in his serious mode, I called it “gravitas” and I think Vladimir Morozov also exudes a regalness that makes you look at him.  This particular type of charisma is what separates a Yuzu from a Nathan.  This is the difference between 2016 Yuzu and 2018 Yuzu.

And then just the way he sat at the table afterwards. All the members were being serious, but RM looks lordly

btw, I was thinking that I liked RM for his intelligent and strong persona and Jimin's soft and cute persona and, I thought I really have a type. The fact that Yuzu possesses all the qualities is what makes him so compelling.

Yes. 

Have you seen the practice choreography videos for this? 

RM is a poet in the Byronic sense - a gentleman of artistic sensibility but there's a hint of wildness underneath and it's perfect. 

As for reaction videos, if you want a belly laugh, look up all the ones where Jimin turns other men's heads and makes them question themselves...:LOL:.  

But wait until you notice Suga being a quiet little savage. And J-Hope being all sunshine. And JK being good at literally everything. 

IMO, BTS is the Yuzu of boy bands. So much better, harder-working, more artistic, and talented than all the others, you can't even compare. 

...maybe Nathan will have gravitas someday. You never know! 

15 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes. 

Have you seen the practice choreography videos for this? 

RM is a poet in the Byronic sense - a gentleman of artistic sensibility but there's a hint of wildness underneath and it's perfect. 

As for reaction videos, if you want a belly laugh, look up all the ones where Jimin turns other men's heads and makes them question themselves...:LOL:.  

But wait until you notice Suga being a quiet little savage. And J-Hope being all sunshine. And JK being good at literally everything. 

IMO, BTS is the Yuzu of boy bands. So much better, harder-working, more artistic, and talented than all the others, you can't even compare. 

...maybe Nathan will have gravitas someday. You never know! 

One of my fave dance practice ! They are hilarious but wow sooooooo good! And the song is to die for! 

7 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

One of my fave dance practice ! They are hilarious but wow sooooooo good! And the song is to die for! 

Cracks me up how Suga's so bummed he lost paper scissors rock and has to do the penalty dance at the end, but still does a great job at it. 

OMG! Guys, I just finished watching the second day of BTS's online concert MAP of the SOUL ON-E!!! It was freakin' amazing! :loveeyes: A friend of mine brought a ticket for the D2 and invited me over to watch it together!!! It was my first online concert! The boys looked gorgeous, the music was live and the sounded heavenly, the scenery was on point as always! I'm a happy baby Army now! Yeah! :smileys-cheerleading-867900::loveshower::clap:

20 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

OMG! Guys, I just finished watching the second day of BTS's online concert MAP of the SOUL ON-E!!! It was freakin' amazing! :loveeyes: A friend of mine brought a ticket for the D2 and invited me over to watch it together!!! It was my first online concert! The boys looked gorgeous, the music was live and the sounded heavenly, the scenery was on point as always! I'm a happy baby Army now! Yeah! :smileys-cheerleading-867900::loveshower::clap:

How do you watch the concerts?  Are there more shows?

Today reminded me of why I didn't want to get involved with a foreign band. I like to have Youtube on in the background while I do chores, but since everything had subtitles, I ended up just sitting and watching the screen.  After hours of not getting anything done, I thought, "I'll just listen to the music".  But then how do you not watch the dancing?  So after a couple more hours of getting almost nothing done, I finally just turned on TSL because I don't give a sh*t about looking at their faces so wouldn't be tempted to sit and watch.

btw, does glammed up Jun look like Jin to you guys?  Different face shapes but the eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose, fluffy hair, and body type look similar.  Maybe this will be what Jun looks like in 10 years.  eta: I know Jun has more of a double eyelid than Jin, but I think Vogue photoshopped a more pronounced crease and Jun's crease is subtle so I notice more the size and shape of the eyes. Actually, I'm surprised that Jin doesn't have more of a double eyelid since he's touted as the Korean beauty ideal

Also, you think we should start a separate BTS thread? I know this one isn't very active but maybe people come here looking for music recs and don't want to see the same thing over and over?

cha-junhwan-vogue-4-960.jpgChamodelmore-2.jpg

1590434704-ewyeprhxsai-nip.jpgBTS-Kim-Seok-Jin-640x400.jpg

• yuzuangel changed the title to The Planet's BTS Fan Club