General Yuzuru Chat

21 hours ago, DancingFeather said:

By the way, @ZuCritter It might be time to bring back your first profile picture.

Thanks, @DancingFeather for the shout out. I'll admit that I do miss old Nessie, but she almost came to feel like a jinx. Just for old times' sake, I've decided to let her out of the closet of "dreams that must someday die" for a quick appearance. Here's to Yuzu's continued quest. May the skating gods protect his ankle and grant him success. He certainly deserves it!

LlubUkE.jpg

2 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

Thanks, @DancingFeather for the shout out. I'll admit that I do miss old Nessie, but she almost came to feel like a jinx. Just for old times' sake, I've decided to let her out of the closet of "dreams that must someday die" for a quick appearance. Here's to Yuzu's continued quest. May the skating gods protect his ankle and grant him success. He certainly deserves it!

LlubUkE.jpg

Good decision, I agree.

We still have @yuzuangel 's profile video here and there in case Nessie hisses audibly.

I just watched that interview of Max where he calls Gift the greatest event in figure-skating history.  It was during that discussion that there came to me a thought as to why Gift, as well as all the other shows he's done - Continues with Wings, Prologue, and Notte Stellata - his real achievement has been in redefining what an ice show should be.  Right now the prevailing definition is that an ice show should entertain, either as a collection of skaters mostly doing their gala programs or an ice show that is organized as a story-telling spectacle - Disney on Ice, for instance.  What Yuzu has done is recast the ice show as a work of art in its entirety.  Yuzu intend his shows not be works of entertainment but rather works of enlightenment.  In so doing the skating must also aim for that, must aim to express the ideas that make the show a work of art.  In so doing that skating must harness the athletic elements to serve the aesthetic demands of the show.  In so doing  the skater must avoid engaging in moves that are simply athletic stunts.  In competition we would see this in skaters who skated only to seek across the board 10s in the program component score and where the technical element is subjected to gaining those 10s.  In an ice show that would be the overwhelming mandate.  As far as as jumping and such goes, that old Bauhaus motto - Less is more - would be the operating standard.

Part of all the problems we are seeing now is that figure skating is a relatively new activity.  It does not have the several centuries of development we see in ballet or that we see in opera.  It's history is comparatively brief.  It's still trying to find a way to bring about a successful merging of the athletic and the aesthetic such as in competitions, for instance, there would be no technical score but the entire judging would be on the program components.  In essence it would be going back to the old 1-6 judging system but one with a greater sophistication, one which would retain the elements that are now the program components but would weight them so that some of those elements would have greater weight, perhaps by making what is now the technical element one of those elements, an important element but not one which completely overshadows the others.  I'm not quite sure of exactly how those program elements might be ranked but I think you should be able to see that the effect would be that the skaters would be skating a program and not a succession of technical elements.  I think that it would be that competition programs would be essentially what exhibition programs are now.  That would be an ideal world.

https://x.com/_weilan8133/status/1705650728315076789?s=20

For some reason tweets aren't embedding for me at the moment - any idea why anyone? (I blame Musk for everything lol!)

Anyway I thought this was an interesting thread about the changes we see in Yuzuru's skating/presentation/our experience of watching since he turned professional (there is a focus on IF)

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

(I blame Musk for everything lol!)

Correct choice! 

Controvrrsial opinion from watching the Sekkisei video, maybe:

Yuzu's eyelids look like a perfect canvas for that eyeshadow... so smooth and wide... and the perfect shape for eyeliner, too.

Not that I think he should wear it all the time, but for photoshoot or performance purposes, he definitely can pull the look off well. 

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

https://x.com/_weilan8133/status/1705650728315076789?s=20

For some reason tweets aren't embedding for me at the moment - any idea why anyone? (I blame Musk for everything lol!)

Anyway I thought this was an interesting thread about the changes we see in Yuzuru's skating/presentation/our experience of watching since he turned professional (there is a focus on IF)

User yuzurujenn suggested replacing 'x.com' with 'twitter.com' for the link to embed.  It works for me.

5 hours ago, fuzz_ball_21 said:

User yuzurujenn suggested replacing 'x.com' with 'twitter.com' for the link to embed.  It works for me.

Thanks I'll try that for sure when I post again :thanks: