General Yuzuru Chat

On 4/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, Henni147 said:

2. Which costume swap is your favorite?

I wanna change my vote - Otonal in Seimei  is really something else. You get to see how much he loves that step sequence - just throws himself into it with such joy. 

49 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I wanna change my vote - Otonal in Seimei  is really something else. You get to see how much he loves that step sequence - just throws himself into it with such joy. 

From a quality point of view Otonal in Seimei is my favorite encore, too. If you ask me, this is the one figure skating performance, where it's pointless to measure the 1-foot/2-foot ratio, because Yuzu only has both feet on the ice at the beginning, one eagle and the ending pose. The rest is either 1-foot or 0-foot skating. In other words: he is flying.

That insane height on the stag leap... :10636614:

My overall favorite encore program is still the Crazy Swan and Yuzu has to do something really superhuman in the future to top that :xD:

Favorite costume swap for me is PW in Etude at CiONTU. That was criminally good :1497158260_5GOE:

However, Origin in Haru Yo Koi had something very illegal, too :8788161:

Beat me, but my wish for the future is LGC encore in H&L costume. In short:

The Crazy Legacy.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:25 AM, Henni147 said:

And now it's your turn:

1. Which encore performance from Yuzu is your absolute favorite?
  2. Which costume swap is your favorite?
  3. Which encore programs or costume swaps do you wish Yuzu to do in the future?

59 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Thanks so much, Henni147, for putting this together!

1. Otonal in Semei for a similar reason--the way he attacks it. Also because it showed what he can do with it when he isn't already tired from the jumps.

2. My favorite costume swap is R&J 1.0 in Somebody to Love. I don't especially love this costume but the combination of program and costume felt like the realization of what the 1996 film Romeo+Juliet wanted to be: a modern telling of a timeless tale (if only the acting had been better). Also Origin in HYK because even though I love both Origin costumes, the HYK ruffles highlight the dynamism of that sequence.

3. Hope and Legacy in Etude (or vice versa), just to test a newly developed awareness.

Watching all these encores created so much cognitive dissonance with all the mismatched costumes and programs, and not just because it disrupted familiar combinations. This really highlighted how carefully the costumes are designed to match the music and the programs, unlike some other skaters whose costumes (among other things) are almost interchangeable from program to program. The only program for which I didn't experience that cognitive dissonance was Seimei in any other costume; I wonder if that's because it's such an iconic program or if Yuzuru channels Abe no Seimei in a way that makes the costume immaterial to or just completely overshadowed by the character.

At any rate, that's why I'd like to see H+L in Etude or vice versa; they have two of the most similar costumes and I wonder how much dissonance the differences between them might cause.

1 hour ago, cereus said:

Watching all these encores created so much cognitive dissonance with all the mismatched costumes and programs, and not just because it disrupted familiar combinations. This really highlighted how carefully the costumes are designed to match the music and the programs, unlike some other skaters whose costumes (among other things) are almost interchangeable from program to program.

Yes. It's really obvious in the earlier encores, where Yuzu is wearing rock-n-roll teen gear and doing his classical performances ( Etude in Vertigo threw me for a real loop.) For some reason it works better the other way 'round, when he's doing  the rock programs in the fluttery flowy costumes. That's why Crazy Swan is so good. 

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Beat me, but my wish for the future is LGC encore in H&L costume. In short:

The Crazy Legacy.

Reveal hidden contents

Such a thing would kill many many fanyus. 

I really love otonal in seimei and also seimei in romeo and juliet. Oh and one of my faves was LGC in Chopin. I really enjoy these encores because we could see how his step sequences look in full force mode. when he was competing sometimes he had to reserve energy so its a lot more control, which is actually perfect per se. but seeing it without any reservation is really fun and exciting

Next season is pre olympic season, what do you guys think would be a good strategy for yuzu? Layout, program wise, or simply what are we all hoping to see? discuss!!! 

p.s. ive been rewatching his past competitions and i find a small pattern. do you guys feel like he usually performs his two programs cleanest around gps and gpf but he usually skates the free skate clean around worlds (2012, 2014, 2017, 2019). its not always true bc there are occasions he bombed the free at worlds or scored total score higher at gps or worlds in the season. the most obvious pattern is how he usually does well in one and then bombs the other or he came back in the free. well in the last two seasons even when he didnt manage to win with the free but he did in a sense still come back to medal. but whenever he skates generally clean in both and win, usually it happened at gpf (2013, 2014, 2015). I wonder when he usually peaks in the season.

6 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

what do you guys think would be a good strategy for yuzu?

Go for broke, like he always does. Honestly it's tough to think about because there's no predicting what the season's going to look like in terms of competitions and so forth. But putting his all into it has worked so far. 

Beyond that, a clean 5 quad layout that he can actually complete without dying of exhaustion would be ideal. 

And I think he could use a change of mood in music, maybe go for something with a lighter touch. Maybe break away from the classical instrumentals.

49 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Go for broke, like he always does. Honestly it's tough to think about because there's no predicting what the season's going to look like in terms of competitions and so forth. But putting his all into it has worked so far. 

Beyond that, a clean 5 quad layout that he can actually complete without dying of exhaustion would be ideal. 

And I think he could use a change of mood in music, maybe go for something with a lighter touch. Maybe break away from the classical instrumentals.

Yeah feels like Yuzu will do Yuzu anyway  but id also want him to go back to a fun short. I think that usually works for him. something like PW or LGC. I also want to see choreo/energy from Seimei or RJ 1.0 for his free. something fierce and dynamic is usually my favorite kind of free. but then with the upgrade he has at this point, having a 5 quad clean layout with all the in betweens a seimei or rj 1.0 has would be suicidal. so i think its more strategic to go with more judge friendly free. id also like him to go back to 3 quad layout and skate clean at the CS then build up from there. want to see what they would give him now compared to seimei15. he got 219 with 3 clean quads but i doubt he would get anywhere near that now with 3 quad layout. 

2 hours ago, Paskud said:

I don't think fun program is a good idea. Not when he is under so much pressure. -___-

He's always under pressure so what difference does it make? Anyway, a lighter program doesn't necessarily have to be 'fun' - it could be something cool and stylish and modern, instead - something like Stephane's 'Please Don't Stop the Music' , only competition-ready, for example.