General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yeah. Or, more generally, the Japanese skaters as a group, because they're all very appealing skaters and do good things on the ice. And the Japanese audience is already huge. I've been thinking for a while now that when they say ' raise the popularity of figure skating', what they really mean is 'find the magic formula that will bring European/Western audiences back to the fold' , and that doesn't sit well with me at all. 

And if they're looking for untapped market share, then by logic they should be looking at ways to expand the audience for figure-skating in South America, Africa, South Asia  and the Arab world. 

Something about the whole enterprise makes me question the motivation behind it. 

Won't ISU have to broadcast this abomination of an event to a world wide audience if they think it's going to attract heretofor uninterested people to FS?  And the ISU feed is geoblocked in plenty of countries so who is going to watch it?  It's all just so weird.  I can see it as possibly increasing ticket sales to Stars on Ice or other ice shows but the ISU doesn't have skin in that game.  I think having 4CC in Australia next year is as close as they've gotten to trying to truly expand their fan base - and Oz has only one skater that we ever even see.  

5 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I am getting testfitted for N95 mask this Tues...so I will just keep the sample and maybe beg for 1 spare....one for each flight taken to and from Worlds.  Otherwise, no masks available for sale here either. N95 is good for 8 hrs of continuous use.  The main thing with these masks is that you need a good fit and you also have to put them on and take them off properly to get any protection.  If everyone around you is masked and using good hygiene, we are probably safer than in most other crowd situations

I have a couple dozen of them if you want me to bring you a couple.  You might want to bring disposable gloves to use for taking the mask off.  And bring a little bottle (3 oz so it can go on the plane) that you can put a sprayer on, fill it with hydrogen peroxide and use it for cleaning the tray table, etc..  H2O2 kills viruses.  Even better to spritz that and then wipe with an antibacterial wipe.  I'm going to look like I'm geared up for the apocalypse.

C'mon do ppl really think they do this Award to "expand the popularity of the sport"?. Imagine u dont follow ice hockey, do u care if they hold an award with some local celebrities? Nah it doesnt do any popularity at all, it's all about squeezing money from Yuzu's large fanbase aka ppl willing to pay. Without the Awards i suppose tickets wont be so pricey they need a way for "added value" even if no one wants. They have to exploit while we are still here, that's it. 

7 時間前, Dreamerさんが言いました:

I am getting testfitted for N95 mask this Tues...so I will just keep the sample and maybe beg for 1 spare....one for each flight taken to and from Worlds.  Otherwise, no masks available for sale here either. N95 is good for 8 hrs of continuous use.  The main thing with these masks is that you need a good fit and you also have to put them on and take them off properly to get any protection.  If everyone around you is masked and using good hygiene, we are probably safer than in most other crowd situations

My stock of new masks are now less than 10.  I heard even disposal type masks made of non-woven material can be washed.  So I wash them and spray with sanitizer after dried these days to recycle them.  It seems totally OK.  The problem is, the sanitizer I'm using now is a small bottle one, and, still I cannot find a new one in the market.

Our company gave us a product named "Virus Shut Out" to wear around the neck .  I'm not sure how effective it is actually, but anyway I'm using it all day including the time of commuting.  There seems to be another product named "Air Mask".

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=エアマスク&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I'm thinking to buy this Cleverin Stick, Pen Type, but it is a bit expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07TPJWQ45/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=エアマスク&qid=1583037388&sr=8-20

To those who are going to Montreal, do you have masks? I am not going but I can buy online for you guys. This is my little way of helping everyone out for Yuzu. 

In this regard, are there any Filipino Fanyus going? Can I send the masks through you? 

1 hour ago, MeowZu said:

To those who are going to Montreal, do you have masks? I am not going but I can buy online for you guys. This is my little way of helping everyone out for Yuzu. 

In this regard, are there any Filipino Fanyus going? Can I send the masks through you? 

Ah, my roommate and I are going but we hadn’t thought of buying masks... How hard is it to get them online?

3 minutes ago, azelais said:

Ah, my roommate and I are going but we hadn’t thought of buying masks... How hard is it to get them online?

There are masks available from Indoplas in Lazada. They've spiked the prices so much, but there are no other available options.

3 時間前, SuzyQさんが言いました:

My stock of new masks are now less than 10.  I heard even disposal type masks made of non-woven material can be washed.  So I wash them and spray with sanitizer after dried these days to recycle them.  It seems totally OK.  The problem is, the sanitizer I'm using now is a small bottle one, and, still I cannot find a new one in the market.

Our company gave us a product named "Virus Shut Out" to wear around the neck .  I'm not sure how effective it is actually, but anyway I'm using it all day including the time of commuting.  There seems to be another product named "Air Mask".

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=エアマスク&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I'm thinking to buy this Cleverin Stick, Pen Type, but it is a bit expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07TPJWQ45/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=エアマスク&qid=1583037388&sr=8-20

It seems “Cleverin” is a  very popular product but I hear negative things about it too.  All the Cleverin products contain chlorin dioxide and I wonder if it’s safe to wear it around your neck in the long run.

*Stand-alone type and stick type of Cleverin are specifically mentioned as prohibited items on board by ANA because chlorine dioxide can cause metal corrosion.

7 hours ago, monchan said:

C'mon do ppl really think they do this Award to "expand the popularity of the sport"?. Imagine u dont follow ice hockey, do u care if they hold an award with some local celebrities? Nah it doesnt do any popularity at all, it's all about squeezing money from Yuzu's large fanbase aka ppl willing to pay. Without the Awards i suppose tickets wont be so pricey they need a way for "added value" even if no one wants. They have to exploit while we are still here, that's it. 

That's my thought, too... Let's say, ISU really managed to invite Justin Bieber or some other Canadian celebrity to the show. Some fangirls of Bieber might watch the awards because of him, but they won't become fans of the sport because of him.

#Footnote: They might become fanyus, if Yuzu made a special collab with Justin to 'Somebody to love', but that's another story :smiley-laughing021:

About the ISU YouTube Channel:

1. I really hate the current thumbnails of the videos. Everything looks the same... plain text only. Even for me as a fan of figure skating it's rather distracting than appealing.
  2. It's annoying to have figure skating, speed skating and short track on the same channel (for me at least). If you want to rewatch Skate Canada for example, you have to scroll down for ages to find what you're looking for. As a long-time fan I have my own sources and search techniques by now, but how do you want to introduce new fans to figure skating, if the popular clips are nowhere featured but get lost in the mass of new uploads?
  3. I don't know, how things work with regional restrictions. Does it only affect the livestreams or the normal video uploads, too? I'm always surprised that some fancams or broadcast uploads on private channels have higher view numbers than the official clips of the ISU channel :scratch3: If it's really the geoblocking that prevents Yuzu clips from reaching +1M views, well then it's really... stupid.
1 時間前, toy-poohさんが言いました:

It seems “Cleverin” is a  very popular product but I hear negative things about it too.  All the Cleverin products contain chlorin dioxide and I wonder if it’s safe to wear it around your neck in the long run.

*Stand-alone type and stick type of Cleverin are specifically mentioned as prohibited items on board by ANA because chlorine dioxide can cause metal corrosion.

Then, "Virus Shut Out" or "Air Mask" may be better.  Their main component is chlorine dioxide :unsure:

45 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

About the ISU YouTube Channel:

1. I really hate the current thumbnails of the videos. Everything looks the same... plain text only. Even for me as a fan of figure skating it's rather distracting than appealing.
  2. It's annoying to have figure skating, speed skating and short track on the same channel (for me at least). If you want to rewatch Skate Canada for example, you have to scroll down for ages to find what you're looking for. As a long-time fan I have my own sources and search techniques by now, but how do you want to introduce new fans to figure skating, if the popular clips are nowhere featured but get lost in the mass of new uploads?
  3. I don't know, how things work with regional restrictions. Does it only affect the livestreams or the normal video uploads, too? I'm always surprised that some fancams or broadcast uploads on private channels have higher view numbers than the official clips of the ISU channel :scratch3: If it's really the geoblocking that prevents Yuzu clips from reaching +1M views, well then it's really... stupid.

I agree with 1 and 2. As to 3, the regional restrictions affect the upload videos as well. For example, you cannot find archived videos of GPS and ISU Championships when you access the site from Japan. You can watch these videos using VPN if you know they are geo-blocked and hidden, but for those who don't know, these video doesn't exist.

4 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

I agree with 1 and 2. As to 3, the regional restrictions affect the upload videos as well. For example, you cannot find archived videos of GPS and ISU Championships when you access the site from Japan. You can watch these videos using VPN if you know they are geo-blocked and hidden, but for those who don't know, these video doesn't exist.

Thanks for the detailed information! Well, that explains many things... :3: