General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, barbara said:

And still not looking away.  Still phots capture so much, as well. The balance and flexibility and artistry and muscles. Oddly, it took several days for my son to notice there are large collage posters of Yuzuru hanging in my house. I try to have less than photos of my son, but it's not easy.

Maybe if your son tried learning to do a superflexible Ina Bauer? :nod2:

6 hours ago, glilikoi said:

I think these names are not really used outside the Japanese language. Particularly Yuzuru (結弦) is a clearly Japanese name and definitely isn't used in other languages. I could imagine the shortened version 'Yuzu' might be used like a nickname for some non-Japanese names, but I don't think it's a common name anywhere else. Maybe the meaning of Yuzu, as in yuzu fruit, is used as a name in some other languages as well. 

You could still use the name even though it is clearly Japanese, but it would probably require quite a lot of explaining to everyone around you :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:I think in Japan, the name Yuzuru has probably increased in popularity somewhat, although I haven't seen any article about it. To be honest, I would be afraid of naming my child Yuzuru if I was Japanese, because I'd feel the expectations are super high! Could they possibly ever live up to the name? :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

Actually, I tried looking it up, and it seems 結弦 still isn't a particularly popular name in Japan, but the kanji 結 is used increasingly in both boys' and girls' names, probably owing to Yuzuru's influence to some extent. Apparently the names 結菜 (Yuuna), 結依 (Yui) and 結愛 (Yua) have been among the most popular girls' names in the last few years. The gender difference is kind of interesting. 

It's a better choice than dozens of names celebrities have named their babies in the last few years. You can use any name you like.

Hiya folks, I don't know if this has been posted on the Planet already but in case you haven't found out, Yuzu climbed the ESPN World Fame 100 chart (from 70 in last year to 64 this year)

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26113613/espn-world-fame-100-2019

There wasn't anything new written in the description though :shrug:, but hey, our boy climbed up the list!

Anyhow, merry (belated) Christmas and happy holidays, have a safe and festive holiday season everyone :wave:

26 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Hiya folks, I don't know if this has been posted on the Planet already but in case you haven't found out, Yuzu climbed the ESPN World Fame 100 chart (from 70 in last year to 64 this year)

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26113613/espn-world-fame-100-2019

There wasn't anything new written in the description though :shrug:, but hey, our boy climbed up the list!

Anyhow, merry (belated) Christmas and happy holidays, have a safe and festive holiday season everyone :wave:

I think it's incredibly telling that he has a social following of zero but probably has more social media followers than anyone.  Add up Facebook groups and Instagram accounts and Twitter and, of course, us (and there must be other Hanyu-centric sites elsewhere in other languages we don't even know about). 

edit - i just looked at the entire list - almost everyone has millions and millions of followers.  One has something like 687 thousand. Our guy - zero.

46 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Maybe if your son tried learning to do a superflexible Ina Bauer? :nod2:

He can do many things very well, but will never be able to even bend backwards halfway while standing on solid ground.  (But he totally supports my, what shall I call it, immense admiration for Yuzu.)

This Christmas our daughter came home from UK and stayed for 3 weeks. She didn’t use roaming with her own network bc it’s too expensive. So I lent her my phone when she wanted to use data. After few times, she’s asked me “The guy on your mobile screen, is.it that skater guy?” I said “Yes” And she just shook her head “Mum you’re crazy” 

Well...maybe but staying up till 4am watching FS live streaming is crazier so I won’t argue about my sanity these days:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

32 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

This Christmas our daughter came home from UK and stayed for 3 weeks. She didn’t use roaming with her own network bc it’s too expensive. So I lent her my phone when she wanted to use data. After few times, she’s asked me “The guy on your mobile screen, is.it that skater guy?” I said “Yes” And she just shook her head “Mum you’re crazy” 

Well...maybe but staying up till 4am watching FS live streaming is crazier so I won’t argue about my sanity these days:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

But this is the important thing that all our non-FS-fan loved ones don't seem to grasp: we're all so happy in our madness.:snpeace:

1 hour ago, barbara said:

He can do many things very well, but will never be able to even bend backwards halfway while standing on solid ground.  (But he totally supports my, what shall I call it, immense admiration for Yuzu.)

That's the most a mom can ask for, really. 

26 minutes ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I hope the billboard at Time Square showing Yuzu stays longer so that the people coming to celebrate the New Year's Eve get to see this amazing superhero that can fly.

Google probably wants to advertise to all the New Year's crowd anyway, so I bet it will stay up. 

We should try to spot the Yuzu billboard while watching the NYE Countdown from Times' Square on TV. 

1 hour ago, Alexis219 said:

I'm more of a casual follower, and a new one at that, but what may be my all-time favorite to make me cry every time I rewatch is Cup of China 2014. I just feel so touched every time he got back up. Blood, sweat, and tears in its literal form!

Oh, you're so brave. I watched that once and could never bring myself to do it a second time. It upsets me so much seeing him get so injured and lying there on the ice gasping, trying to catch his breath. He was very brave to skate after that, but also it was a mad thing to do. 

On a related note, I'm really glad Skate Canada has introduced a new rule that allows a referee to stop a skate in the middle in order to examine a skater for concussion if they have a bad fall and hit their head, and decide whether or not to let the skater continue.  It's about time, and I hope other feds follow suit.

3 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I hope the billboard at Time Square showing Yuzu stays longer so that the people coming to celebrate the New Year's Eve get to see this amazing superhero that can fly.

I want a billboard where I live to see everyday on the road!! But so glad there's at least one in my country ;)

2小時前, Alexis219說:

I'm more of a casual follower, and a new one at that, but what may be my all-time favorite to make me cry every time I rewatch is Cup of China 2014. I just feel so touched every time he got back up. Blood, sweat, and tears in its literal form!

I became a fan after Seimei and gradually grew to like him more after watching his interviews. However, it was COC 2014 which made me a die-hard fan. I don't know if it was the best decision for him to skate there but it was that passion which made me want to root for him forever. :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: