General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

I bet Shoma wouldn't mind some political victories tho, especially during Olympic year... at least, this is what I think based on his approach to not fix his jump technique at all, and actually push himself to do more quads (the talk about 4 Lz) when he knows damn well he rotates in the air way less than his rivals. 

As I said variously before, I really know little about the technicals of figure skating. ^^;

What I meant was just that if anyone in a competition - Shoma or anyone else, in figure skating or any other sport - is always seen as winning only because of political favours being called, it's not good for that person because after some time, nobody will judge them based on their actual achievements. (Or lack of those, of course.)

2 minutes ago, dreamelena said:

Oh and about Yuzu being too emotional.. well I like my guy (lol) emotional. I mean it's a true, genuine emotion of a human being, how can you not like it? I think to be able to see such an honest emotion is a privilege. It just goes to show how much it means to him and that touches me.

p.s. oh wow I had a glow up.. into a tissue box. :space:

:laughing: Remember that Jounetsu Tairiku episode? A writer(?) was commenting that it lacked any new "revelation" about Yuzuru? Maybe it's because what he shows the public is mostly his real self?

And don't get me wrong, I admire people who walk the walk. But when a person can walk AND talk...:BeatingHeart: 

Just now, xeyra said:

This is why quotes out of context should probably not be taken entirely at face value. Thank you so much for your post. If she isn't particularly shading Yuzu, then, I wonder what she does think of Mao Asada or Daisuke Takahashi, who are, I think, two of the more famous (now r****d) skaters who did go to train in foreign soil and returned to Japan years after. 

Isn't that shading also? Just a different target? :scratch3:

33 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Aside from that, things like the last picture, her flashing a Victory sign as if she'd done the skating herself and Shoma standing awkwardly beside her, are what make me wonder if he is as awkward as he is because of her, that she isn't building up his self confidence, social skills and so on -which she could - because him becoming more independent would be a personal loss for her.

16 minutes ago, xeyra said:

This is why quotes out of context should probably not be taken entirely at face value. Thank you so much for your post. If she isn't particularly shading Yuzu, then, I wonder what she does think of Mao Asada or Daisuke Takahashi, who are, I think, two of the more famous (now r****d) skaters who did go to train in foreign soil and returned to Japan years after. 

So, with the context, it seems that she was not targetting Yuzu - but the fact that the comment is petty and xenophobic remains...

In fact, I like the theory that this sentence is directed toward Shoma inbstead - yes he is still awkward when he's not skating, but he's been gaining confidence all season, interacting more and more with other skaters - especially Yuzu - I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's becoming more independant from his coaches, and that Yamada doesn't like it. Of course it's only speculation, but if it's the explanation, then it's good for Shoma. He needs to grow and emancipate himself to become a more accomplished skater. Take his own decisions.

Looking at it from a slightly different perspective, in a way, it doesn't really much matter, whether she was trying to send a message to or about someone and if it was the intent, to whom, because making a generalising comment like "skaters who train overseas come back with an attitude" - which would be a way to say in English what she said - already shows her as someone not quiet used to really sophisticated reasoning.

Beyond that it's actually also pretty rude to refer to skaters as "children," as she did.

Though of course it fits with what to me looks like a very control oriented personality, fueled by desire not to loose real or imagine control or station.

19 minutes ago, kamotejojo said:

Isn't that shading also? Just a different target? :scratch3:

Yes, it certainly is. :smiley-cool14: 

But yeah, I now wonder what she would consider the minimum level of arrogance displayed by those skaters who've returned and don't listen to their Japanese coaches. Would, for example, someone wanting to choose their own music for programs and/or participate more in the decisions about their training/career count as disrespecting? 

26 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I bet Shoma wouldn't mind some political victories tho, especially during Olympic year... at least, this is what I think based on his approach to not fix his jump technique at all, and actually push himself to do more quads (the talk about 4 Lz) when he knows damn well he rotates in the air way less than his rivals. 

Shoma is actually right now in the USA working on his Lutz edge. The short time he'll spend there will most likely not really help his overall technique on these jumps, which I sincerely blame on whoever taught him jumps as a wee child (Yamada?), but he is trying to work on his issues, gradually, including the wrong edge problem on the Lutz. Very likely so he can bring a 4Lz into play, of course, and then we can have more endless discussions about that.

Oda, Machida, Mao, Daisuke Takahashi and Daisuke Murakami, Takeshi Honda, Miki Ando, Arakawa Shizuka, ALL the top skaters have had a few seasons abroad. Yuzu too, of course, and none of them are arrogant. So the comment is just weird. 

13 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Shoma is actually right now in the USA working on his Lutz edge. The short time he'll spend there will most likely not really help his overall technique on these jumps, which I sincerely blame on whoever taught him jumps as a wee child (Yamada?), but he is trying to work on his issues, gradually, including the wrong edge problem on the Lutz. Very likely so he can bring a 4Lz into play, of course, and then we can have more endless discussions about that.

Yes, I read that, but as meoima wrote, I'll believe it when I see it... I like Shoma as a person, but I'm kind of inflexible on the whole "cheated jump take-off". I don't like that kind of behavior displayed in competition. But I understand that he has little choice, since they taught him that technique.

6 minutes ago, katonice said:

This was posted on Twitter

And I do find it a bit amusing that my Twitter TL is full of posts about toothbrushes lol! :rofl:

No offense, but that isn't hat she said, it's a translation of what she said. And she didn't say "skaters that..." she said "children that" unless the marked as quote citation on the twitter kiwi1080 - I think it was - account is incorrect.

11 minutes ago, katonice said:

This was posted on Twitter

Assuming this is correct translation (which I guess is not), this is pretty territorial. It's pretty much asking JSF to put a foot down and not send skaters abroad (or not support skaters abroad financially) and focus funding for only domestic coaches to ensure Japanese coaches always have business (the have foreign coachs train japanese coaches could almost be more of a business gimmicky move). Especially if you read it combined with the latter statement about foreign skaters becoming more arrogant. It's more like "Japanese skaters should only be trained by Japanese coaches, although foreign coaches can help in an advisory role (but cannot take the credit nor be directly involved with our "pure japanese skaters")."

As for Shoma's jumps-good that he's trying, but normally these types of jump issues start when you train at the single jumps stage, so it should have been corrected much earlier. Add in competition pressure, and it is hard to say whether or not he'll still use faulty muscle memories of 10+ years, even if he's corrected it in practice...man I feel bad for the boy....

Machiko talks about David Wilson. She asked him to do choreography for Midori Ito and David flew to Japan soon, with economy ticket.

David's late mother was very happy to hear he was invited to Japan, Machiko says.

Since then David often visited Japan to teach Machiko's students. Mihoko learned from him a lot during those times. So, Machiko still asks JSF to invite foreign coaches to Japan rather than skaters go abroad to train there. "So that Japanese coaches can learn. Otherwise Japanese coaches can't grow. Every coach wants to study. When kids go to foreign countries, they will be arrogant (or get spoilt? original phrase is 「いい気になる」). They will love foreign stuffs whatever they are (外国かぶれになっちゃって), and they wouldn't learn from Japanese coaches once returning. That's why we always invite coaches from abroad whenever we can."

I have no idea who she has in her mind, but I just don't think she talks about Yuzu, just my impression though. Also, she is 73 years old now. Whatever she says, I don't put too much emphasis on her words, just like someone like Frank Carroll.

7 minutes ago, daisyjune said:

"When kids go to foreign countries, they will be arrogant (or get spoilt? original phrase is 「いい気になる」). They will love foreign stuffs whatever they are (外国かぶれになっちゃって), and they wouldn't learn from Japanese coaches once returning. That's why we always invite coaches from abroad whenever we can."

I have no idea who she has in her mind, but I just don't think she talks about Yuzu, just my impression though.

This doesn't sound like Yuzu at all (but if it is targeted towards him then she has a really warped understanding of him...).

But then again, it doesn't sound like any other well known skater from Team Japan so what on earth is she talking about?

On 6/1/2017 at 3:08 PM, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

No offense, but that isn't hat she said, it's a translation of what she said. And she didn't say "skaters that..." she said "children that" unless the marked as quote citation on the twitter kiwi1080 - I think it was - account is incorrect.

I guess the translator was trying to be a bit forgiving on the translation? :confused:

I can't say who she's referring to here though, or if it's just her old-fashioned way of thinking coming to the fore.