General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yuzu can always go the artistic route where he skates just the team event in Beijing, and not go for gold in the singles like Plushenko. He has 2 OGMs. He doesn't really need a 3rd one to prove himself *although if he did win 3 OGMs, he would be invincible career wise. 

Well, at the press conference on the first day he went back to Japan after Olys, the host asked him about Beijing, and he said that he doesn't know at all, but if he goes, he will only be going for gold. Tbh unless he somehow goes through a drastic personality transformation, I think he's physically unable to not go for gold...:xD:

23 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

I don't think nationals is going to be easy at all this time, for several reasons.

1) It happens to be a showdown between the reigning OGM and OSM. Yuzu used to bomb and still win nationals with a large margin, but that was before. The last nats he went to was in 2015, and by now his competition, namely Shoma, has grown a lot. 

2) Nats is shortly after GPF, in the middle of the season, a time when Yuzu is usually tired and very prone to injury & illness. 

3) Figure skating always has something to do with politics, be it scoring, pressure, perception or consequences. And with an domestic competition it's domestic politics. Shoma has Nagoya, the biggest figure skating powerhouse in Japan, behind his back, while Yuzu doesn't. (Ofc he himself is a larger skating power than the rest of Japan combined lol, but not politically.) 

4) Traditionally Japanese skaters take nationals very seriously. Many have said that there's this very special crushing pressure associated with nats that even outweighs worlds.

5) The JPN media is going to hype so much. I don't even want to imagine if Yuzu loses what some of them will say.

So I think I'm going to be nervous to death when this years nationals come close.  :tumblr_inline_mh8pweVDqw1qid2nw: :59227c768286a__s: :59227c768286a__s: :59227c768286a__s:

see above post. You guyz really lack so much confidence in him, you can't believe he can win over Shoma, how can you believe he can win anymore GPF/Worlds/4CC? 

You always say JSF mistreat him, but did Shoma ever win anything over Yuzu? I believe they wont drag him down yet, not when he's still the one w better international recognition. When his internation record is DONE, then I believe they'll bring Shoma up in Nats.

42 minutes ago, monchan said:

see above post. You guyz really lack so much confidence in him, you can't believe he can win over Shoma, how can you believe he can win anymore GPF/Worlds/4CC? 

You always say JSF mistreat him, but did Shoma ever win anything over Yuzu? I believe they wont drag him down yet, not when he's still the one w better international recognition. When his internation record is DONE, then I believe they'll bring Shoma up in Nats.

It's not "can't believe he can win." He very much can and very probably will. But the comp is no longer "a piece of cake" like it used to be 3 years ago. The difficulties are very real, and the battle will be won the hard way. (Unless they both get a bit burnt out at GPF and bomb together at Nats. That is a pretty big possibility too.:P  Not really relieving the stress!)

22 minutes ago, monchan said:

Yuzu is the best skater in the world, but isn't foot perfect all the time. That is just a reality for me after being a fan for half a decade.  Shoma isn't foot perfect either, but if he has the better two days then it could happen.  Ice is slippery and sports is sports.  

But I also do not want Japan nats to prop Yuzu. Just judge them fairly: If Yuzu bomb then he can be kuyashii about it and get his revenge. He will not drop lower than silver anyway. 

Even if the antis will be getting smug from his loss, it would be more palatable than the antis being snide from his unfair score.

14 minutes ago, monchan said:

It is not a lack of trust in Yuzu and more about being realistic. I am pretty sure that what you said just now is exactly the same thing Dai's fans said before Yuzu beat him, or Patrick's before he lost. 

The problem is not Yuzu, we all trust him to do his best and fight all the way but you can't deny his injuries and damage he accumulated throughout his competitive years. You can't deny that he is on his way out of the sport as he himself said that. You can't deny that politics does play a part in this sport.  No one is saying that he will be beaten easily or that he will be pushed down to help others but we cannot also be so sure that none of that will happen and that he can easily win every time. So let us be realistic and not set our expectations too high. It would be good for us so that we don't get disappointed if things didn't happen as we hoped, and good for Yuzu since we his fans are not putting too much pressure on on him to always win.

Let's just enjoy Yuzu performances and hope for the best, whether he wins or not. We are still lucky just to have him around and competing. Winning is not everything and winning is not just medals, it is having so many people love and cheer for you in a bad day as loudly as they would in a good day and in that Yuzu will definitely always be a winner  :)

36 minutes ago, Neenah said:

It is not a lack of trust in Yuzu and more about being realistic. I am pretty sure that what you said just now is exactly the same thing Dai's fans said before Yuzu beat him, or Patrick's before he lost. 

The problem is not Yuzu, we all trust him to do his best and fight all the way but you can't deny his injuries and damage he accumulated throughout his competitive years. You can't deny that he is on his way out of the sport as he himself said that. You can't deny that politics does play a part in this sport.  No one is saying that he will be beaten easily or that he will be pushed down to help others but we cannot also be so sure that none of that will happen and that he can easily win every time. So let us be realistic and not set our expectations too high. It would be good for us so that we don't get disappointed if things didn't happen as we hoped, and good for Yuzu since we his fans are not putting too much pressure on on him to always win.

Let's just enjoy Yuzu performances and hope for the best, whether he wins or not. We are still lucky just to have him around and competing. Winning is not everything and winning is not just medals, it is having so many people love and cheer for you in a bad day as loudly as they would in a good day and in that Yuzu will definitely always be a winner  :)

Honestly things like politics, scoring corruption and all, I heard ENOUGH. Whenever some competition, FS fans (fanyu included) would LOVEEEEEEE to complain about that and make tons of excuse of how things might not happen. So yeah if such things exist then what? Obstacles existed in EVERY competition that he did, and only HE knows what the true problem was. What fans ACTUALLY know btw? And If we don't know anything for sure why cannot have some belief in what he can deliver?

What makes me disappointed in some fanyu is sometimes they don't even dare to believe smt in him. When he went to the Oly, oh yeah the situation is unfavorable, he might or might not win, but it's ok. When he enters the next career period after 2OGMs, well it's very hard for him to win anything cuz judge would give candies to other young skaters. I mean ppl trust that "corruption" hypothesis even more than Hanyu, sigh. It's not a demand, cuz if he doesn't deliver someday, it's just smt very normal for an athlete. But I'm sure before it happens, Hanyu doesn't want to hear things like "You might get silver but that's ok" from ppl around him, for the competitions that are SO important to him like Nats/Worlds/Oly.

Hello, everyone! I'm a so glad that finally find out mostly all-about-YH based international  forum. Also want to start with cliché "English it's not my native language so...etc.

It's been years that I'm following this sport and happened that most of my favorites always was Japanese skaters (but of course not all of them and not only them). 

For me It's devastating that this beautiful sport don't get as much attention as it deserves, because I believe everyone in the World (well...at list most part of) should have any idea who Yuzuru Hanyu is, like for example...Messi, Ronaldo or even Bolt, Phelps... 

I can continue this idea like forever but don't want to overlay this page so...Have a nice time!

Having faith and analyzing situations realistically are in two parallel dimensions IMO. Describing what difficulties he's facing, trying to figure out what the chances seem to be depending on the information we have, does not equal saying "I believe he'll win/lose." Belief IMO has more to do with emotions, and that's where our support for Yuzu comes in. I think we need both in this sport.

20 minutes ago, Orchid said:

Hello, everyone! I'm a so glad that finally find out mostly all-about-YH based international  forum. Also want to start with cliché "English it's not my native language so...etc.

It's been years that I'm following this sport and happened that most of my favorites always was Japanese skaters (but of course not all of them and not only them). 

For me It's devastating that this beautiful sport don't get as much attention as it deserves, because I believe everyone in the World (well...at list most part of) should have any idea who Yuzuru Hanyu is, like for example...Messi, Ronaldo or even Bolt, Phelps... 

I can continue this idea like forever but don't want to overlay this page so...Have a nice time!

Welcome!!! I'm actually a silent lurker but reading what you wrote, I just wanna quote from the ESPN uncles' words after Yuzuru skated to Seimei in Barcelona, " Figure skating is not such a high profile sport. When you think of the greats of this year:  Jordan Spiedth,  Floyd Mayweather, Messi, Ronaldo. This guy (Yuzuru) in his sport is as good as they are."   

7 minutes ago, Orchid said:

Also want to start with cliché "English it's not my native language so...etc.

Welcome! And... It is not mine either. :10636614:

You might see that the tonight discussion is a lil bit peaky tonight. Might come with people getting cranky waiting for Yuzu's new (full) programs and (most importantly) costumes choices. 

---

16 minutes ago, monchan said:

What makes me disappointed in some fanyu is sometimes they don't even dare to believe smt in him. 

But I'm sure before it happens, Hanyu doesn't want to hear things like "You might get silver but that's ok" from ppl around him, for the competitions that are SO important to him like Nats/Worlds/Oly.

Uhm, let's just say that people are expressing their concerns in different way. Some are getting worried, some are more positive, etc. Even though we all stan one positive-minded-brilliant-athlete-and-artist, at the end of the day how we stan him may differ based on our personality and view. Let's consider it as the diversity of Fanyus and be amazed how Yuzu can get so many different people to care about him. :consoling2:

22 minutes ago, Orchid said:

Welcome the the planet and have fun here! No need to worry about English. A large number of people here are not native speaker either, but we always manage to understand each other. :9:

About figure skating getting more attention, at least in my part of the world (East Asia) figure skating is gaining fans in much larger quantities than before, thanks to Yuzu.:dancingpooh:I know I wouldn't have stayed long enough to understand all those rules (and experience all the hair loss) were it not for him!:D And after the Pyeongchang Olympics, pretty much everyone I meet knows who Yuzu is, even if they don't know a thing about figure skating.:darklordyuzu:

6 minutes ago, monchan said:

Honestly things like politics, scoring corruption and all, I heard ENOUGH. Whenever some competition, FS fans (fanyu included) would LOVEEEEEEE to complain about that and make tons of excuse of how things might not happen. So yeah if such things exist then what? Obstacles existed in EVERY competition that he did, and only HE knows what the true problem was. What fans ACTUALLY know btw? And If we don't know anything for sure why cannot have some belief in what he can deliver?

What makes me disappointed in some fanyu is sometimes they don't even dare to believe smt in him. When he went to the Oly, oh yeah the situation is unfavorable, he might or might not win, but it's ok. When he enters the next career period after 2OGMs, well it's very hard for him to win anything cuz judge would give candies to other young skaters. I mean ppl trust that "corruption" hypothesis even more than Hanyu, sigh. It's not a demand, cuz if he doesn't deliver someday, it's just smt very normal for an athlete. But I'm sure Hanyu doesn't want to hear things like "You might get silver but that's ok" from ppl around him, in the competitions that is SO important to him like Nats/Worlds/Oly.

No need to be angry we are just chatting here, and please read my post again since you clearly misunderstood. All I said is that we should be realistic. Don't go around thinking that he can't lose and don't convince yourself that he will definitely lose because of this or that reason. It is a competition and he does has things going for and against him whether we acknowledge it or not, which also applies to his rivals as well. 

I will always cheer for Yuzu and wish him the best regardless of his results because his wins are not what I like about him. I am not going to tell you the story of how I found Yuzu and why I admire him so much, I will tell you that no one respects him more than I do and I resent the implication that I don't believe in or trust him.