General Yuzuru Chat

OK, the question is - Is Yuzu ready for the Olympics?  What can we expect?  A short little tale.  Back in 1973, which would be ancient history for most here, there was this horse, Secretariat, entered in the Belmont Stakes, the third leg of the triple crown.  He'd won the first two but there were those wondering if he could handle the mile and a half course, a course longer than any he'd run in before.  People were hoping he could, since it was well over two decades since a horse had won the triple crown.  There were, however, quite a few who didn't think he had the makings for such a lengthy run.  There are people thinking Yuzu does not have the makings for the upcoming seven minutes to win gold, not after coming out of a significant injury.  What did Secretariat do in 1973?  He won the race by some thirty-two lengths and BROKE the mile and a half record by 2.6 seconds, a record, the announcer said, 'would likely stand forever'.  Food for hope for all of us going into PC.

3 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I mean, I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision for Yuzu to make considering all he's hoped and planned for at the beginning of the season, but he did damage his ankle pretty darn badly and his recovery did take longer than anticipated. No matter his stubborn spirit, there's just some things you can't fight your body on and compromise is needed between the difficulty you want and the difficulty your body might be able to take. Despite all his talk about going above his limit, his body still experiences some. Though @daisyjune's translation above does say Orser mentioned that all jumps expect 4Lz are going well so maybe it's mostly a question of 4Lz not going to be at a good level in time. As I said on twitter, I still fully expect him to try it at Worlds. 

I would explode with anxiety if he tried it. Can't he just leave it alone until next season? That delays 4A development which means we can maybe keep him until Beijing. :10636614:

Just now, SparkleSalad said:

I would explode with anxiety if he tried it. Can't he just leave it alone until next season? That delays 4A development which means we can maybe keep him until Beijing. :10636614:

Honestly? I kind of hope he does get mileage on the 4Lz for Worlds because next season falls or mistakes might weigh more negatively due to the GOE scale changes, and any experience in competition with it would be good before then. 

3 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Honestly? I kind of hope he does get mileage on the 4Lz for Worlds because next season falls or mistakes might weigh more negatively due to the GOE scale changes, and any experience in competition with it would be good before then. 

This trainwreck of a season keeps making me forget about the changes. Bleedin' 'eck.

Just now, xeyra said:

To confirm @daisyjune's translation earlier, IK reports the same.

It seems Brian didn't exactly say he's not doing the 4Lz, only it's not in good shape? Is Yuzu avoiding the 4Lz at practice entirely or just not having good success with it?

from the way i see it, it seems like he's not giving a definite answer.. 4lz could be there...

i dont know if this is a media thing but brian suddenly saying he's not doing 4lz right before olys doesn't seem like their plan tho... maybe he's just keeping everyone's expectation low..

hace 1 minuto , xeyra said:

It seems Brian didn't exactly say he's not doing the 4Lz, only it's not in good shape? Is Yuzu avoiding the 4Lz at practice entirely or just not having good success with it?

Yes, it seems that he actually didn't say definitely no 4Lz. My guess is that they avoided to practice it because of the strain it puts on the right ankle and therefore the success rate wasn't good enough.

1 minute ago, xeyra said:

But...if we take that translation literally...wasn't all the jumps except for Salchow in good mood before Sochi as well? And last I rewatched the 13/14 season...ugh, you know what I mean...it seems that we overinterpret the 'all but 4Lz are good' as "all,but 4Lz will be jumped" and it seriously worries me, considering Yuzuru's tendency to do EXACTLY opposite of what we expect him to  (which is why we love him, I guess, but still...) so many multidots in my post...:facepalm:

9 minutes ago, Floria said:

What I still don't understand is why Brian disclosed all this information right now, two weeks before the competition. At Europeans he wasn't allowed to say anything and now it is ok? What's the point of secrecy then?

I think the fact that Yuzuru won't do the team event lead to some unnecessary doubt about him doing individual event so Brian want to clarify it. I'm surprise Brian reveal this now but tbh we would know it by next week, when he arrive to Korea and go to practice session. This is a week earlier IMO. I feel like his training is going well, like Brian said so they're more relax to reveal more info. 

Edit : according to this : http://www.sanspo.com/pyeongchang2018/news/20180205/pye18020523070035-n1.html, Brian said all jumps are good except the 4lz. And he will avoid 4lz at Olys.

I’m also wondering why speak at this time. Maybe it’s because most teams are already in PyeongChang, and it’s too late for his main rivals to make any substantial change to their training/layout accordingly? 

Ah, when I read that his other jumps are going so well it’s surprising Brian, and they’re of course aiming for gold:sadPooh: speechless bliss:sadPooh:

1 minute ago, Katt said:

I think the fact that Yuzuru won't do the team event lead to some unnecessary doubt about him doing individual event so Brian want to clarify it. I'm surprise Brian reveal this now but tbh we would know it by next week, when he arrive to Korea and go to practice session. This is a week earlier IMO. I feel like his training is going well, like Brian said so they're more relax to reveal more info. 

ahh maybe its also to reduce a bit of the negative attention yuzu is getting for not participating in team events. for me this make a bit more sense because we know too well that brian wont say anything about yuzu absent mindedly. there has to be a reason behind this