General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

That and I think practicality has a lot to do with it as well. He trains on the the other side of the world so his work commitments would have to be in an amount where he can conceivably fit into a tight schedule when he is in Japan for an extended period time (for the express purpose of shows and work obligations such as these). So far LOTTE and P&G seem to require most time from him. The rest all seem to require less. So I think his commercial dealings all have to fit into this neat and efficient little timeline he has going on.

Yes to this - hard for brands to invite him to product launches, events etc. where they can maximise his affiliation with them too. I definitely get the impression he’s taken as many deals as he needs for him/his family to live comfortably/practically but he’s not trying to actively seeking to make it a focus of his time. Which fits with his one track skating mind and ironically makes his own brand more exclusive, albeit not particularly ‘cutting edge’ lol 

I do wish he’d get sponsored by UA but the brand is primarily interested in mainstream sports and he doesn’t have a typical ‘Western athlete’ look either so I’m not surprised they haven’t noticed. Their loss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, ThiriYuzu said:

I think Max is as obsessed with Yuzu as us. :) yeah.. who could blame him. 

I think Max really likes the likes and retweets he gets, to be honest. Not that he doesn't like Yuzu, he does!, but, you know.... hits.

5 分, kaerbさんが言いました:

I do wish he’d get sponsored by UA but the brand is primarily interested in mainstream sports and he doesn’t have a typical ‘Western athlete’ look either so I’m not surprised they haven’t noticed. Their loss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For all that they're so focused on things other than figure skating and athletes with a different sort of built, they sure have a lot stuff that look like they're tailor made for him. Lol.

...unless he's really wearing their female line...

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

*nods* P&G is probably the only major endorsement deal he signed. And even then, it's not like your usual kinda thing.

Everything else seem rather minor in comparison. LOTTE's probably a JSF thing so I don't think that's something he could really say no to (despite his claims of being happy about it since he loves chocolate and Ghana especially and all that..and Xylish is also part of this deal so). There's the pillow company, the bathing salt company...and I may be missing one or two more since all these things he endorses aren't exactly in-your-face kinda brands/products. In fact, his choice to endorse them all seem rather straightforward, simple and obvious, lol. Like P&G, they are all stuff him and his family can enjoy using so freebie!11! (What brand is that air mat thing he travels with?)

Other things like the blood donation campaign seem to be more PSAish so those don't really count.

These are the campaigns/brands that I can remember.

• ANA
  • Phiten
  • Ajinomoto
  • Lotte
  • Tokyo Nishikawa
  • Monster Hunter (maybe not any more?)
  • P&G - Olympic campaign
  • Bathclin

I feel like I left something off?

9 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I think Max really likes the likes and retweets he gets, to be honest. Not that he doesn't like Yuzu, but, you know.... hits.

Maybe you are right, but listening to him in Italian (also in these long and deep podcasts) he seems sincerely in awe with Yuzuru. From what I can see Ambesi is a little nerdish in his knowledge about the sports he follows as journalist (he praticed also most of them, he once said, also if I do not know at which level) and he loves the excellence and the perfectionism, the FS-nerdish side of Yuzu and, ultimately, his absolute value are ideal to him.

P.S. In his podcast with Dolfini, happening now, they are repeating the technical panel of CoC ladies will be the same of OGM men...

29 分, xeyraさんが言いました:

I think Max really likes the likes and retweets he gets, to be honest. Not that he doesn't like Yuzu, he does!, but, you know.... hits.

It's probably a twofer. He admires Hanyu as an athlete and Hanyu is admired by many who are active on the internet as well, which gives him professional gains. Being a supporter of Hanyu, especially if you have vested interest, is like being seen as a good devotee by the God of Prosperity or something. Support the dude and good things will naturally happen to you! (Caveat: Just one. You have to be sincere about it.)

21 minutes ago, fireovertheice said:

Maybe you are right, but listening to him in Italian (also in these long and deep podcasts) he seems sincerely in awe with Yuzuru. From what I can see Ambesi is a little nerdish in his knowledge about the sports he follows as journalist (he praticed also most of them, he once said, also if I do not know at which level) and he loves the excellence and the perfectionism, the FS-nerdish side of Yuzu and, ultimately, his absolute value are ideal to him.

P.S. In his podcast with Dolfini, happening now, they are repeating the technical panel of CoC ladies will be the same of OGM men...

14 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

It's probably a twofer. He admires Hanyu as an athlete and Hanyu is admired by many who are active on the internet as well, which gives him professional gains. Being a supporter of Hanyu, especially if you have vested interest, is like being seen as a good devotee by the God of Prosperity or something. Support the dude and good things will come to you!

Yeah, he genuinely likes Yuzu, and as @fireovertheice said, he comes off as a bit of a FS nerd (his knowledge of it can be quite deep and obscure, as I've noticed in the podcasts) but mentioning Yuzu's name in tweets does get him attention and he knows it and he works off it. So he comes up with various little facts related to Yuzu or relates certain tweets to Yuzu (like the Rika Kihira's 3A tweet being related to Mura's and Yuzu's 3As). 

All in all, while some of his tweets are useful and nice to know (like statistics tables), others just make me :facepalm: a little.

Maybe it's just my cynical self. 

44 minutes ago, xeyra said:

@Lys and @Yatagarasu will let you know that I do it all for the pat-pats and the \oo/'s respectively. And then sometimes you do things out of genuine appreciation and desire to support things or people. What is true about Max is that he's been paying attention to Yuzuru, and praising him on the record as early as WC 2010. When discussing the Japanese men's field, the Dai's, Nobu's, Taka's, "And I would add Hanyu, junior world champion, we will see him next season among seniors, an amazing talent."

I can indeed confirm that :yes:

And people do sometimes simply appreciate someone to a degree where they cannot help but overflow with genuine appreciation over that particular person's talents. Yuzuru is a unique talent mind you, so I am not surprised someone like Max caught onto it right away. While his knowledge may seem obscure for newcomers, it is actually coming from one of the main experts on winter sports (tout court) around and from someone who has followed the sport for a very long time, which explains why he's a fountain of knowledge. Max by the way is very enthusiastic about true sport excellence when it comes to other winter spots as well. Try listening to him when he watches ski jumping. 

Since we're talking about him (please turn on the subtitles) here he is talking about Yuzuru way back in 2014 post SP in Sochi. As you will notice, not much has changed in his genuine regard and admiration for what Yuzuru does.