General Yuzuru Chat

12 minutes ago, daisyjune said:

命を懸ける means "do something even if I die"

I felt a bit uncomfortable when I read that Yuzu said this because I still remember Yuzu said the similar thing "命を削ってでも”

(even if my life is shortened)in 2014 off season. Then there happened COC accident and his surgery, and everybody knows he didn't stop skating.

I am wondering his condition might not be perfect right now. On the other hand, in the video, he didn't sound that serious.  I took his words too seriously perhaps? Anyway, I really want him to know whatever happens, his skate make many people (ridiculously) happy and will be the same in the future.

I am also kind of looking forward to attending his shows after the Olympics. I know Yuzu wants the gold, but... please take care of your body, don't think too much. Enjoy your life!

To explain this a bit further. I entered the text into a translator and it spit out the chinese for "to fight with my life's worth."  It just means someone is going to fight very hard/ work hard for something. Actually, in Chinese culture, and maybe east asian culture in general, it might be worthwhile to equate "life's worth" with "pride" since the two are considered equivalent. However it's not taken as a literal, fatalistic interpretation. Merely, it means that someone is very serious about what they are putting on the line.  And this confirms with what @KatjaThera mentioned, that Yuzu said that he's putting his 18 years of skating experience (and add in his pride and ideals) on the line this season, in order to accomplish his goals he's going to be working hard and fighting hard. So other men, hope you guys like perfect pancakes, cause Yuzu will be serving them.

12 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Awww... guys.. don't be too worried. This IS the Yuzuru Hanyu that we know and love. His passion, dedication and love of the sport is one of the most profound and endearing things about him even though his intensity can sometimes be scary. hahaha

I also agree, I don't think it's as fatalistic as people think. It's just very very serious determination, and considering that staying healthy is part of his strategy for this season, I don't think he's going to go endanger his health. Otherwise, why would he go popstar at ACI? Normally, let's not kid ourselves, if it was the pre 16/17 season Yuzu, he would have gone for that 4 lz 4Lo 3F layout at ACI or die trying.  He controlled himself and went popstar :13877886:

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Nah, it's Baidu's translation, and actually in Chinese it feels a bit more fatalistic? Kind of like "It's my fate" Lol. But yeah, I wonder if he'd go to Beijing 2022. There's a new system, and a new challenge (3 'peat gold potential) all up for him. Sounds lovely to him, considering his personality :13877886: And I thought I was a type-A personality.

Ah, I misunderstood it then lol

I'm a bit surprised everyone here is so shaken up about it... for me it's more like... exactly what I expected from him, because of who he is lol

Also, 命を懸ける is something Japanese use a lot. Which is not to say it's meaningless, it still means they'll put their everything into it, but it's not really something to be taken too literally.

18 minutes ago, daisyjune said:

命を懸ける means "do something even if I die"

I felt a bit uncomfortable when I read that Yuzu said this because I still remember Yuzu said the similar thing "命を削ってでも”

(even if my life is shortened)in 2014 off season. Then there happened COC accident and his surgery, and everybody knows he didn't stop skating.

I am wondering his condition might not be perfect right now. On the other hand, in the video, he didn't sound that serious.  I took his words too seriously perhaps? Anyway, I really want him to know whatever happens, his skate make many people (ridiculously) happy and will be the same in the future.

I am also kind of looking forward to attending his shows after the Olympics. I know Yuzu wants the gold, but... please take care of your body, don't think too much. Enjoy your life!

I always took 命を懸ける more as putting one's life on the line. However, in my experience, it's never really meant literally, but rather figuratively. As in, it's a spiritual, emotional thing, not a physical thing. Also, he knows that he has to be in top shape at the Olympics, and taking crazy risks there wouldn't be worth it either, unless it was a 100% win or lose thing. (And I think we all know what crazy risks means...). So that doesn't fit with a physical intention of all or nothing for the Olympics. Of course, he's still Yuzu, so anything's possible, but he has shown he is being careful, so I can't believe he meant this in any way other than the spiritual one.

7 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Ah, I misunderstood it then lol

I'm a bit surprised everyone here is so shaken up about it... for me it's more like... exactly what I expected from him, because of who he is lol

Also, 命を懸ける is something Japanese use a lot. Which is not to say it's meaningless, it still means they'll put their everything into it, but it's not really something to be taken too literally.

Yeah, in china it's the same. It just means "I mean serious business, don't mess with me."  And Yuzu is a more figurative speaker (and east asian idioms are pretty figurative), so I don't think we should take it too literally.

One line and we're all birthing kittens out of nervousness-the fate of a Fanyu. :13877886:

hace 13 minutos , Xen said:

To explain this a bit further. I entered the text into a translator and it spit out the chinese for "to fight with my life's worth."  It just means someone is going to fight very hard/ work hard for something. Actually, in Chinese culture, and maybe east asian culture in general, it might be worthwhile to equate "life's worth" with "pride" since the two are considered equivalent. However it's not taken as a literal, fatalistic interpretation. Merely, it means that someone is very serious about what they are putting on the line.  And this confirms with what @KatjaThera mentioned, that Yuzu said that he's putting his 18 years of skating experience (and add in his pride and ideals) on the line this season, in order to accomplish his goals he's going to be working hard and fighting hard. So other men, hope you guys like perfect pancakes, cause Yuzu will be serving them.

I also agree, I don't think it's as fatalistic as people think. It's just very very serious determination, and considering that staying healthy is part of his strategy for this season, I don't think he's going to go endanger his health. Otherwise, why would he go popstar at ACI? Normally, let's not kid ourselves, if it was the pre 16/17 season Yuzu, he would have gone for that 4 lz 4Lo 3F layout at ACI or die trying.  He controlled himself and went popstar :13877886:

This post-ACI tweet says it all :rofl:

hace 14 minutos , Xen said:

Yeah, in china it's the same. It just means "I mean serious business, don't mess with me."  And Yuzu is a more figurative speaker (and east asian idioms are pretty figurative), so I don't think we should take it too literally.

One line and we're all birthing kittens out of nervousness-the fate of a Fanyu. :13877886:

:smiley-laughing021:Yes, I guess we shouldn't worry too much.

But I still prefer "Beyond the light" UA t-shirt inscription to "win gold or die" thing.