General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Forcefield said:

I clicked on it and then came back and you already put the warning up. XD

Okay, but for real though I wonder what Nobu said.

Takeshi Honda got his word on it. Kozuka got his word in. And I agreed with both of them. Now Nobu too and I just bet he's still the most awesome skating senpai as ever.

OMFG that picture of Yuzu that they used at the end there. Someone has a sense of humor. :smiley-laughing021:

I laughed when they were showing past footage of Nobu fanboying the hell out of Yuzu 

He doesn't really say anything new that hasn't already been said - reiterates that it's the first comp and there's no need to worry. Said that the problems (esp the uncharacteristic problems with 3A and 4T which are very reliable jumps usually) were more likely to be caused by problems with the rhythm, even though he did worry a little about the knee. Also because he doubled the 4T after 4S3T, it probably threw his timing off and made him feel flustered/panicked and therefore changed his timing for the 3A as well. I'm glad JP TV is bringing out a line of experts to reassure the public lol. Three is a tad excessive but I'm not complaining  :laughing:

22 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Anything interesting to note?

Only that even though it finishes right before NHK Trophy, Yuzu isn't mentioned as a reason for his popularity, just games and movies. Snubbed! It looks like probably a very text heavy exhibition but this is on the flyer:

seimei.jpg

(I probably should have put this in the SEIMEI thread but I forgot it existed... even though I created it...)

2 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Hear, Hear! 

I am spending my night listening to a new podcast called Kiss&Cry, an italian figure skating podcast hosted by... you guessed it... MAX! 

I've just arrived to the part dedicated to Yuzuru, and it began this way:

Radio presentator: "Yuzuru is a character that Ambesi followed specifically since, almost since he was born! And you always spoke highly of him, so much that in Canada some fans have aknowledged your enthusiasm and your words for Yuzuru by quoting a famous phrase of you in a Banner, the Planet Hanyu Banner! Can you repeat it now, so that our listeners can cheer on?"

Max: The phrase would be: "Welcome on Planet Hanyu. population, one: HIM." 

:devilYuzu:

Yay! Some Planet Hanyu love! 

Uh... Guys... I was looking at the ISU event calendar just for fun and I found next season's GP schedule? (Not sure if it's confirmed or...)

Skate America October 19-21 2018

Skate Canada October 26-28 2018

Cup of China November 2-4 2018

NHK Trophy November 9-11 2018

Internationaux de France November 16-18 2018

Cup of Russia November 23-25 2018

GPF December 5-9 2018

http://www.isu.org/events/list.events/-?start=270

Does that mean Yuzu will either go to Skate America or Skate Canada if he wants to go to NHK :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

6 minutes ago, marlet said:

Some cute yuzu talking to Shirota-san about the gloves :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:

I'm too late but welcome @SarahTing:tumblr_inline_mqt4gi8ECy1qz4rgp:

Him and Shirota san seem like the best of friends don't they?

And Yuzu, you also have to tell her about that death glare you threw when you found out about your gloves.

Although of course I think Shirota san will find out on the internet soon enough lol.

8 hours ago, kiches said:

You know, I thought I spotted Kevin Reynolds in the rink from across the way, but I couldn't tell if it was really him (something about the hair and the red jacket of the person I saw from across the rink reminded me of him).

During the Skate Canada Gala practice last year all the skaters on the ice stopped practicing and moved to the sides or sat and watched him do a run-through of Notte Stellata. That didn't happen for anyone else during that practice. In fact, you can see Kevin in my fancam deliberately stopping and moving to the side.

OMG

What I got from your fancam

1. It looks so private...I feel like I watched some secret performance:sadPooh:

2. First time see the swan with no light...still beautiful like princess.

3. Is that the first time Yuzu release the swan?!?!

4. Skaters watching on the side had Arena SSSS spots...jealous

5. This reminds me of a picture of Yuzu doing same thing... but also sitting on someone's leg:embSwan:

6. I have been obsessed with the swan forever...:dpooh:

7. Wait?! Yuzu practiced with costume?!?

8. Clips part 6 is so amazing...empty rink :xD: then empty rink + one skater + Yuzu then everyone is back haha

9. There was a lady playing with her phone all the time during run through..One day Zuzu you will get all the audience...lol

On 2017/9/28 at 午前4時50分, Danibellerikaさんが言いました:

Well said.  Of course, one has to weigh if it'd be nicer to have two Olympic champions as opposed to one 2x Olympic Champion. On this end, I want a 2x champ so GO YUZU!! 

Oh. Yeah. Never considered it from that angle. Those vs. narratives make a whole lot more sense now. Funny how far the men's field of the country's come in just a single Olys. From hoping one would simply podium for years and being happy with just that, to putting two contenders on opposing side of one another for the gold even though they're essentially part of the same team.

Japan should enjoy it while it lasts. I guess it's probably why they're milking it for all its worth now because how likely are they ever going to be able to have another one, much less two, contenders within the same country and field strong enough on the world stage to build this narrative again? Now that I think about it, they absolutely love this sort of thing. Hyping up "vs" narratives, I mean. They do it all the time in sports manga. ^-^; This would likely catch the interest of those who don't usually follow the sport at least and perhaps convert more fans to it.

Might not be such a bad thing, if one were to look at it this way. I mean it's not like they're making the athletes themselves act like bitter rivals when they're in one another's presence just to support the narrative. I don't think they're painting that sort of picture anyway. Just the determination of both to be the one at the top, perhaps skewed more towards Uno because, well, the guy is still the underdog of the two.

And whoever manages to win, if one of them does, well the glory and narrative for him would be an immense one. If the underdog wins, it'd be a real-life reenactment of all those underdog triumphs over the biggest champion stories while if the absolute champion wins, they'd have a story of the once-underdog turning absolute champion and finally turning GOAT. It's a win-win either way.

Of course, no prizes as to which scenario I prefer, simply because unlike most underdog winning over established champions stories where the underdog is depicted to have serious skills that rival that of the champion's even on a good day for the latter. If that were the case, I'd root for both and be happy if either one wins. But this one can only really win if the reigning champion bombs himself out of contention, and the other contenders having to make significant mistakes besides.  

Still, it's what the Japanese media has so it's hard to begrudge them the action of capitalizing on whatever opportunity comes along to help the sport garner an even stronger following.