General Yuzuru Chat

22 分, Mary_kyoさんが言いました:

Hmmm, I think Yuzu should actually be chosen to go to Olympics because he had consistent good results in the past 3 years, post Olympics. Currently, he is the only Japanese skater who scored above 300 frequently. So, although I would feel bad for skaters like Shun but Yuzu is very deserving to represent his country IF he is able to compete by that time. However, if in the nationals, Yuma and Shoma wouldn’t both make the top two, that would be hard to choose. What a hard unfair season for Yuzu tbh.

Agree. PB and world ranking are part of the selection criteria. Nobody is stopping the other skaters from skating well and earning a high PB. Unless any skater other than Yuma/Shoma wins JNats or they score higher than Yuzu/Yuma/Shoma's normal range, I think Yuzu will be chosen. As of now, the normal range of the top 3 and the others' barely overlap (though I do enjoy Kazuki's skating). Whether Yuzu wants to go is another question.

Though I do see how this decision may be harder than the 2018 one if he doesn't go into any competitions before OG, and he will be under even more pressure and scrutiny if he is sent.

Anyway, OG or not, I will continue to pray for Yuzu's health and support his decision. :cheer:

Imagine Yuzuru Hanyu as the reigning 2-time Olympic champion, 5-time national champion, WR holder, only one of two skaters to score above 300 in the new system and potentially the first ever skater in history with all 6 types of quadruple jumps in his arsenal NOT being selected by the JSF for the Olympic team  :darklordyuzu:

EDIT:

I actually think that - in that absolutely hilarious case - the IOC would give him the opportunity to compete as an IOA (Independent Olympic Athlete). If he himself wants to go. That would be a good solution for everyone actually. Yuzu wouldn't take away any spot from Japanese skaters and Yuzu himself would be independent from JOC and JSF.

Only issue: He would be forced to compete neutrally under the Olympic flag and no Japanese anthem on the podium for him.

18 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

EDIT:

I actually think that - in that absolutely hilarious case - the IOC would give him the opportunity to compete as an IOA (Independent Olympic Athlete). If he himself wants to go. That would be a good solution for everyone actually. Yuzu wouldn't take away any spot from Japanese skaters and Yuzu himself would be independent from JOC and JSF.

Only issue: He would be forced to compete neutrally under the Olympic flag and no Japanese anthem on the podium for him.

And now imagine the backlash he would get from the media/haters/JSF for it.

14 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Imagine Yuzuru Hanyu as the reigning 2-time Olympic champion, 5-time national champion, WR holder, only one of two skaters to score above 300 in the new system and potentially the first ever skater in history with all 6 types of quadruple jumps in his arsenal NOT being selected by the JSF for the Olympic team  :darklordyuzu:

I actually think that - in that absolutely hilarious case - the IOC would give him the opportunity to compete as an IOA (Independent Olympic Athlete). If he himself wants to go.

He could represent Pooh's Forest. :10814716:

But seriously now, if Yuzu wants to compete in the Olympics and is in shape to do so, he will get his spot.

Considering how badly the Beijing committee wants him to be there, I think China fed would offer him a spot. Of course, he'd never accept, but if he did it would be all-time epic shade on JSF!

:LOL:

Another thought: What a delicious irony that the one with the most to lose if he doesn't go is NBC. 

KOSE has shown us Origin costume in their shop tour of Maison Kose Ginza (17:50~).

You can also see Yuzu's photo in Believe orange costume (2:56~).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWS3m64j3_Y/

I went there to see Origin costume last Saturday between Dance FD and Ladies Free, but couldn't see it.

Because too many people visited there to see the costume, they distributed the numbered tickets.

My time slot was 18:30, which was in the middle of Ladies Free and I couldn't get out of the venue.

I heard that the costumes will be on display until the end of January, so I'm betting on the next opportunity!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
1 hour ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Just to reconfirm in case I misunderstood the selection criteria Japan has. Do world standing and PB count or is whoever wins X or Y tournament chosen?

Both actually.

Read here for more info.

On World standing, I understand that Yuzu is currently in third. He might move down to 5th if Jason medals next week and Shoma gets on the podium in GPF. I'm not so sure about season world standing tho.

On scoring potential, in this quad, there really are only 2 male skaters in the world who have scored higher than 300 so often. Also, Yuzu is the only skater who can potentially jump all 6 quads. Japan can have a podium sweep with Yuzu in the team.

So then, taking all these into consideration, would JSF be stupid enough not to send Yuzu if he doesn't compete at JNats? That is my question. 

I agree that it may seem unfair if the JSF selects Yuzu for the Olympic team over the boys who have been competing all season, HOWEVER, besides Yuma and Shoma none of those other guys (Shun, Sota, Kao) have been able to deliver consistent results that would put them in medal contention at the Olympics. 

World ranking and results over the last 3 years does matter and are taken into account when making the team selection. On that basis alone Yuzu would be selected - even if he does not go to Nationals. The only ones who would be upset with putting Yuzu on the team despite his absence would be the coaches/parents of those other boys and the bitter JSF officials who don't like Yuzu anyway. I believe almost everyone expects Yuzu will be chosen for the team regardless. The outcry of Yuzu being left off the team would be deafening. As has been said before, Beijing REALLY wants Yuzu to compete, and by extension, I believe the IOC also wants Yuzu in Beijing since he is THE STAR of the winter Olympics. 

The only understandable reason that Yuzu would be left off the team is if Yuzu himself requests it or refuses to go.

8 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

Considering how badly the Beijing committee wants him to be there, I think China fed would offer him a spot. Of course, he'd never accept, but if he did it would be all-time epic shade on JSF!

:LOL:

Another thought: What a delicious irony that the one with the most to lose if he doesn't go is NBC. 

The Chinese fed would welcome him on their hands and knees, especially considering how popular Yuzu is in China, how even official media see him as a role model and how much importance the Olympic Committee for the Beijing games puts on him. Of course Yuzu would never represent any other country than Japan.

You're right about NBC. But it's not just the Olympics. If Yuzu should r*****, NBC would lose in general. And of course the ISU. They'd be the greatest losers, not only morally and ethically as they are now, but also financially once cash cow Yuzu is not there anymore.

Just now, Whoopiewoop said:

And now imagine the backlash he would get from the media/haters/JSF for it.

Honestly. If Yuzu withdrew from Nationals, he would get bashed and ridiculed either way. People already do. Media is playing dirty games, paparazzi are invading his privacy, antis are gloating, although Yuzu doesn't do literally anything. Just staying quiet in Sendai.

I just pray, that they won't go any further and that Yuzu is properly protected, wherever he is and whatever he does  :grouphug:

In a way, I hope that he won't have anything to do with the Olympics at all. On the one hand, they try to force him to compete. On the other hand, they wish him to hell. This is an impossible environment to compete fairly. It's like being a puppet, where your strings are pulled by different people in different directions ripping your arms off.

20 minutes ago, daisyjune said:

KOSE has shown us Origin costume in their shop tour of Maison Kose Ginza (17:50~).

You can also see Yuzu's photo in Believe orange costume (2:56~).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWS3m64j3_Y/

I went there to see Origin costume last Saturday between Dance FD and Ladies Free, but couldn't see it.

Because too many people visited there to see the costume, they distributed the numbered tickets.

My time slot was 18:30, which was in the middle of Ladies Free and I couldn't get out of the venue.

I heard that the costumes will be on display until the end of January, so I'm betting on the next opportunity!

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd start to organize lotteries for tickets to see Yuzu's costumes... :LOL:

I hope you'll get to see the costume at the next opportunity! :fingerscrossed:

2 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Honestly. If Yuzu withdrew from Nationals, he would get bashed and ridiculed either way. People already do. Media is playing dirty games, paparazzi are invading his privacy, antis are gloating, although Yuzu doesn't do literally anything. Just staying quiet in Sendai.

I just pray, that they won't go any further and that Yuzu is properly protected, wherever he is and whatever he does  :grouphug:

In a way, I hope that he won't have anything to do with the Olympics at all. On the one hand, they try to force him to compete. On the other hand, they wish him to hell. This is an impossible environment to compete fairly. It's like being a puppet, where your strings are pulled by different people in different directions ripping your arms off.

I believe in Yuzu and trust that he makes the right decisions for himself. :nod2:

He's been in this business for so many years. He wouldn't have been so successful if he didn't have the mental strength to withstand not only the pressure in the athletic and competitive area, but also everything else that goes on like media, politics, antis, rumors etc.

And he's always been very smart about focusing on himself by staying out of social media and such. He doesn't have anything left to prove to anyone and he knows that. I'm sure he won't allow any outside party and their agendas to influence him when it comes to his person, his career and his actions. I'm confident that regardless of all the noise that's going on, Yuzu will stay centered and focused on himself and his own desires, wants and needs.

I like to think that the Japanese men all know that 1 spot is Yuzu's by default and they're all fighting for the 2nd or 3rd spot. :)

Of course, things are a bit different from 2017 this time, but in 2017, by JNats, nobody knew if Yuzu was healthy enough to go to the Olympics. Of course, Shoma was most likely to win JNats that year. I remember watching the men's FS and Mura having a good skate. He was very happy. Then, Keiji came, overtook him in the FS and placed 2nd. When that happened, it was as if they knew and accepted that Mura would not be going to the Olympics, despite placing 3rd, because 1 spot was Yuzu's by default.

Of course, everyone is working hard and deserves a chance too, but seeing how much Yuzu is truly respected by the other Japanese men, I feel that they train with the thought that Yuzu will be the choice over them.