General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For some reason my brain went '5S! 5T!' :fear: when I read that....y'all maybe think Yuzu's going to chill down into some kind of glorified ice dancer after he's done competing but I think he'll just be free of all constraints then...and no Uncle Ghislain to reign him in... the Lord above only knows what we'll see then. 

Yuzu is certainly a world above all other skaters - but I don't see him attempting quints (or even perfecting his 4A) without some sort of coaching.  Those harnesses make it possible to practice without risk of injury and I think, there is no way to underestimate the value of a jumping coach.  Yuzuru has great confidence in himself, but I doubt he truly believes it would be in any way prudent to push ahead with jumps no one else has done without guidance.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

Yuzu is certainly a world above all other skaters - but I don't see him attempting quints (or even perfecting his 4A) without some sort of coaching.  Those harnesses make it possible to practice without risk of injury and I think, there is no way to underestimate the value of a jumping coach.  Yuzuru has great confidence in himself, but I doubt he truly believes it would be in any way prudent to push ahead with jumps no one else has done without guidance.

Considering he's already done them on harness though, and what we saw at GPF...basically if the coaches weren't there saying 'nonono!' I'm pretty sure that boy would be swinging from the rafters by now. Yes he knows the value of safety but only as a tool to get him where he wants to be. 

Think of Yuzu as a mountain climber  - he's not the type who'd be happy with Everest, he'd be out there trying new routes up K2 or Annapurna's most inaccessible faces.

42 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Considering he's already done them on harness though, and what we saw at GPF...basically if the coaches weren't there saying 'nonono!' I'm pretty sure that boy would be swinging from the rafters by now. Yes he knows the value of safety but only as a tool to get him where he wants to be. 

Think of Yuzu as a mountain climber  - he's not the type who'd be happy with Everest, he'd be out there trying new routes up K2 or Annapurna's most inaccessible faces.

But with a rope....  I am pretty sure he knows how to protect his ankles with the 4A, without a harness.  I was really thinking of quints....  And, I wonder, why did he practice the 4A at GPF when he wasn't going to include it in his FS? Yes, he showed that he knows how to protect himself when he can't quite land it, so maybe it's a sort of intimidation. "I am not doing this one this week, but just wait....".

21 minutes ago, barbara said:

But with a rope....  I am pretty sure he knows how to protect his ankles with the 4A, without a harness.  I was really thinking of quints....  And, I wonder, why did he practice the 4A at GPF when he wasn't going to include it in his FS? Yes, he showed that he knows how to protect himself when he can't quite land it, so maybe it's a sort of intimidation. "I am not doing this one this week, but just wait....".

I think there was this interview where he said something along the lines of the venue being an important place to him because Plushenko won there, so since he has low chances of winning after his SP mistake he wants to leave something special behind in that place (4A). :) 

edit: here it is!

5 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

I think there was this interview where he said something along the lines of the venue being an important place to him because Plushenko won there, so since he has low chances of winning after his SP mistake he wants to leave something special behind in that place (4A). :) 

edit: here it is!

And he did.   (I can't understand a thing he's saying here, but I love to watch him talk, anyway).  In addition to his 4A attempts, he was more gracious (as always) in getting his silver medal than I could ever have been.  And that SP still makes me cry.

25 minutes ago, barbara said:

And he did.   (I can't understand a thing he's saying here, but I love to watch him talk, anyway).  In addition to his 4A attempts, he was more gracious (as always) in getting his silver medal than I could ever have been.  And that SP still makes me cry.

^ Turn on the cc for english subtitles 

:winky:

16 hours ago, Songster01 said:

I assume Jun will also be at both events and now that we know that Jason is on both teams, TCC should have three coaches at 4CC and Worlds: most likely Brian, Tracy, and Ghislain, since Ghislain travels with both Yuzu and Jun. 

Brian and Ghislain will be at 4CC for Yuzu and Jun. Ghislain will also be coaching Alison Schumacher, the ladies silver medalist at the Canadian Nationals. With Jason Brown heading the US contingent, Tracy Wilson should be there as well.

3 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Yes, I'm sure he said something about wanting to 'make his mark' in Torino. He certainly did. 

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Brian and Ghislain will be at 4CC for Yuzu and Jun. Ghislain will also be coaching Alison Schumacher, the ladies silver medalist at the Canadian Nationals. With Jason Brown heading the US contingent, Tracy Wilson should be there as well.

I was looking at the entry list. It's basically a TCC vs York Region vs Oakville three-way competition when you look who all the athletes train with. Oh, and the Chinese team. Who I sincerely hope will all be able to travel. This Wuhan thing is pretty worrying. 

21 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I was looking at the entry list. It's basically a TCC vs York Region vs Oakville three-way competition when you look who all the athletes train with. Oh, and the Chinese team.

4CC, also known as "Yuzu & friends 2020" featuring (in no particular order) Jason, Jun, Nam, Roman, Keegan, Camden, Kazuki, Boyang, Han Yan, and more.... Should be a fun competition. I foresee gala shenanigans :studsmatta:

31 minutes ago, Veveco said:

4CC, also known as "Yuzu & friends 2020" featuring (in no particular order) Jason, Jun, Nam, Roman, Keegan, Camden, Kazuki, Boyang, Han Yan, and more.... Should be a fun competition. I foresee gala shenanigans :studsmatta:

I was feeling upset and tense , anticipating this competition, until now. That's lightened my expectations considerably. :space:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I was looking at the entry list. It's basically a TCC vs York Region vs Oakville three-way competition when you look who all the athletes train with. Oh, and the Chinese team. Who I sincerely hope will all be able to travel. This Wuhan thing is pretty worrying. 

China has quarantined large areas and no travel is permitted in or out of those regions. If there are any Chinese team skaters trapped in those areas, they will not be able to travel.

South Korea has now designated all of China as coronavirus contaminated and all visitors arriving from China will be screened and be required to provide detailed health histories (1:21).

If you turn cc on for English subtitles, there is a typo or misinterpretation (or Freudian slip) at 1:21: “South Korea will detonate all of China…”