General Yuzuru Chat

FaOI Nagoya pamphlet Yuzu interview photos:

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4776310184872679

DeepL translation - as always, I don't speak Japanese, I tried to make it readable, but it is not fully reliable.

! Do not repost outside of Planethanyu !

First part (this was already in the Makuhari pamphlet, can be skipped)

Spoiler

Q: After three years, Fantasy on Ice (FaOI) is about to start. How do you feel now before the show? What are you particularly looking forward to, and have you missed anything in the two years without the show?

A: I am feeling nervous because it has been a long time since I have performed here. I have learned a lot in the past two years, so I want to prepare well to give an even better performance.

Q: Having performed in so many different ice shows, what do you find special about Fantasy on Ice?

A: Collaboration with artists is a very special part of FaOI. Usually in competitions, I think about what kind of music suits me and what I want to express when I choose a music piece, but in collaborations, I first decide on the artist and then decide what song I want to skate to, so I can create a programme with a completely different theme than my previous programmes. Of course there is a limit to what I can express myself and what I can express as a skater, but I also let FaOI and the artists help me expand my own range of expression.

Q: You have collaborated with a wide range of artists - what do you find interesting, challenging or rewarding about this? What do you think of the relationships you have formed with the artists you have met?

A: To begin with, most of the music used in figure skating is classical music or film music, so skating to pop music with lyrics is new and it can be difficult. Although it is easier to understand because the music has well-known lyrics, it is sometimes difficult to express the ideas, scenes, pace, intensity and dynamics that the audience has already in their mind, so we have to think about how to give that kind of performance that people expect from us. It is because of these past two years that I have been able to think deeply about this, and I will do my best in this collaboration as well, and do my best to make everyone feel that I have improved even if just one more step.

Q: What did you have in mind when you chose the song for this programme, which will be revealed on the day of the show, as a surprise?

A: I chose this song because I wanted to make a programme that would be filled with my current emotions, my past experiences, my feelings going into the Beijing Olympics, and my thoughts on the 4A, which I am still aiming for.

Q: At the Beijing Olympics, your quadruple Axel challenge inspired many people around the world. Now that some time has passed, what does the quadruple Axel mean to you?

A: It is still something that I should aim for. It's something I can put my energy into more than anything else. Practicing for it, even for the Beijing Olympics, I can't say it's fun, but it's something I can devote myself to, and including the fear, the pain and the hardships, I can feel the experience of being alive.

Q: After experiencing your third Olympics, have you gained any new understanding or insights about the sport of figure skating?

A: It may be outside the context of "competitive sport", but I realized that not only a perfect performance can make people feel something or convey a message. Perfection is not everything, and it's because of the human nature that emerges from the broken moments in expression and skating, as was the case with "Romeo and Juliet" at the 2012 World Championships. Falling on a non-jump element, getting up and fighting on even when you're in a daze - you can't do that with choreography or acting. I think it was because I was truly myself there, and I was fighting so hard, that I was able to make this programme. At the Beijing Olympics, many things I have done up to now, including the 4A and the SP, are still in everyone's mind, and that's why, even if it wasn't a 4A that I could be satisfied with, I think I was able to create something that will remain in everyone's hearts. I would like to continue to skate in such a way that is typical of me.

Second part (this is mostly new)

Spoiler

Q: You have been practicing alone since the Corona disaster. How did you decide what you thought you needed from the people around you and what not?

A: When I am practicing on my own, I usually know the reasons for my successes and mistakes, so basically I rarely asked for advice from anyone. If I did, I usually verbalized what I was paying attention to, what I felt were the reasons for my mistakes and what I needed to improve, recorded it with a voice recorder or wrote it down in my notes. For me, it is very clear what is necessary and what is not, and perhaps this is unique to figure skating, but I have always thought that what is successful and what leads to success is what is necessary and what does not lead to success is what is not necessary. It doesn't necessarily mean immediate success, but whether there is a vision of success ahead for me. I also considered my decisions based on what is suitable for my current level.

Q: What do you feel is the connection between your performance on the ice and your personal life experiences?

A: It is all going together. Skating has taught me endurance and the ability to face difficult experiences and keep going, and I think it's very important in life too. The way I studied and got good scores on tests is connected to the way I practice skating, and everything is connected to everything else. Maybe I am just trying to find such connections, but no matter what I have experienced, even if it was painful, even if I look back on it and think it was a failure, it is because of that experience that I have my current feelings, my current actions, my thoughts, and so on.  I try to live my life so that I can think in this way.

Q: When you use music with lyrics in your performances, how much of the meaning of the lyrics do you incorporate into your performances? Do you use music with English lyrics for competitions and Japanese lyrics for shows?

A: All of it. I often listen to the FaOI songs before the choreography starts, or after the programme is finished, or even just before the performance. But I have to perform not only to the lyrics, but also to the music, so it's really difficult to find the right balance between the two.

Q: Ice shows are different from competitions in terms of lighting and so on, what are you particularly concerned about when making costumes for ice shows?

A: I have to make sure that the costumes look good in dark lighting, that my fingertips are visible, and that the design and weight of the costumes are appropriate for a show, so for some programmes, the design is more important than the comfort while skating. But it is useless if I can't give a good performance, so I am trying to be creative where I can, but I don't want it to affect my performance. Also, the temperature of the rink at FaOI is basically quite high, so I ask to take care of the materials so that I don't get exhausted.

Q: Figure skating is not only a technical sport, it is also, ultimately, a sport in which beauty is measured and judged. What do you find beautiful or inspiring? Paintings, theatre, poetry, landscapes, human behaviour, sound effects, space... whatever it is.

A: I don't often have the opportunity to see paintings or theatre, but I like natural landscapes. Trees, flowers and grass. I am not familiar with all the names and types of trees, but when mountain scenery is shown on TV, the autumn colours of the leaves, and the timing of leaf colouring, and various other things change depending on the character and personality of each tree, and this creates a variety of natural scenery, which I think is beautiful. I want my skating to have different characters depending on the programme, too, so that people can feel attracted to them. 

Q: Tell us what 'little luxuries' you have done recently (for example, doubling the bath salt). 

A: It's not small at all, but I received the new customized earphones I ordered before last year's All-Japan Championships and I really like them. But there are so many more earphones I want... (laughs)

Q: What advice would you give to young children who have seen Hanyu's success and want to start figure skating?

A: There are a lot of things that are difficult and things you can't do, but if you really try, the time will come when you can change from not being able to do to being able to do, and then everyone will praise you, you will be glad and have many happy moments. If you don't want to lose, work really hard! Work harder than anyone else! Don't forget that there are people who are supporting you, so go for it!

Q: An ice show is an opportunity to present your performance to the audience, regardless of scores or winning or losing, but looking at yourself from an objective point of view, what kind of performer do you consider "Yuzuru Hanyu" to be?

A: I think I am very human. Not everything looks beautiful, and when I look at myself, I can see some bad postures, but then I see that this is also very much a part of myself. In many of my programmes, there are emotions and stories that I want to communicate, but I think it's also okay if they don't reach the audience as intended. I want to be the kind of performer who can connect with something inside the audience, or who can simply immerse them in the experience of watching and enjoying it.

Q: What comes to your mind when you hear the word 'Nagoya'?

A: "Nagoya Castle".

Q: Finally, do you have any ambitions for this year's Fantasy on Ice and anything you would like to say to the audience?

A: I know it's not easy to get back to normal life after the Corona disaster, but I hope everyone enjoys it! I'll do my best to skate through it. And please, go home in good health afterwards!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
38 minutes ago, birnasan said:

Nagoya pamphlet Yuzu interview photos:

DeepL translation - as always, I don't speak Japanese, I tried to make it readable, but it is not fully reliable.

Hide contents

Q: After three years, Fantasy on Ice (FaOI) is about to start. How do you feel now before the show? What are you particularly looking forward to, and have you missed anything in the two years without the show?

A: I am feeling nervous because it has been a long time since I have performed here. I have learned a lot in the past two years, so I want to prepare well to give an even better performance.

Q: Having performed in so many different ice shows, what do you find special about Fantasy on Ice?

A: Collaboration with artists is a very special part of FaOI. Usually in competitions, I think about what kind of music suits me and what I want to express when I choose a music piece, but in collaborations, I first decide on the artist and then decide what song I want to skate to, so I can create a programme with a completely different theme than my previous programmes. Of course there is a limit to what I can express myself and what I can express as a skater, but I also let FaOI and the artists help me expand my own range of expression.

Q: You have collaborated with a wide range of artists - what do you find interesting, challenging or rewarding about this? What do you think of the relationships you have formed with the artists you have met?

A: To begin with, most of the music used in figure skating is classical music or film music, so skating to pop music with lyrics is new and it can be difficult. Although it is easier to understand because the music has well-known lyrics, it is sometimes difficult to express the ideas, scenes, pace, intensity and dynamics that the audience has already in their mind, so we have to think about how to give that kind of performance that people expect from us. It is because of these past two years that I have been able to think deeply about this, and I will do my best in this collaboration as well, and do my best to make everyone feel that I have improved even if just one more step.

Q: What did you have in mind when you chose the song for this programme, which will be revealed on the day of the show, as a surprise?

A: I chose this song because I wanted to make a programme that would be filled with my current emotions, my past experiences, my feelings going into the Beijing Olympics, and my thoughts on the 4A, which I am still aiming for.

Q: At the Beijing Olympics, your quadruple Axel challenge inspired many people around the world. Now that some time has passed, what does the quadruple Axel mean to you?

A: It is still something that I should aim for. It's something I can put my energy into more than anything else. Practicing for it, even for the Beijing Olympics, I can't say it's fun, but it's something I can devote myself to, and including the fear, the pain and the hardships, I can feel the experience of being alive.

Q: After experiencing your third Olympics, have you gained any new understanding or insights about the sport of figure skating?

A: It may be outside the context of "competitive sport", but I realized that not only a perfect performance can make people feel something or convey a message. Perfection is not everything, and it's because of the human nature that emerges from the broken moments in expression and skating, as was the case with "Romeo and Juliet" at the 2012 World Championships. Falling on a non-jump element, getting up and fighting on even when you're in a daze - you can't do that with choreography or acting. I think it was because I was truly myself there, and I was fighting so hard, that I was able to make this programme. At the Beijing Olympics, many things I have done up to now, including the 4A and the SP, are still in everyone's mind, and that's why, even if it wasn't a 4A that I could be satisfied with, I think I was able to create something that will remain in everyone's hearts. I would like to continue to skate in such a way that is typical of me.

Second part (mostly new)

Hide contents

Q: You have been practicing alone since the Corona disaster. How did you decide what you thought you needed from the people around you and what not?

A: When I am practicing on my own, I usually know the reasons for my successes and mistakes, so basically I rarely asked for advice from anyone. If I did, I usually verbalized what I was paying attention to, what I felt were the reasons for my mistakes and what I needed to improve, recorded it with a voice recorder or wrote it down in my notes. For me, it is very clear what is necessary and what is not, and perhaps this is unique to figure skating, but I have always thought that what is successful and what leads to success is what is necessary and what does not lead to success is what is not necessary. It doesn't necessarily mean immediate success, but whether there is a vision of success ahead for me. I also considered my decisions based on what is suitable for my current level.

Q: What do you feel is the connection between your performance on the ice and your personal life experiences?

A: It is all going together. Skating has taught me endurance and the ability to face difficult experiences and keep going, and I think it's very important in life too. The way I studied and got good scores on tests is connected to the way I practice skating, and everything is connected to everything else. Maybe I am just trying to find such connections, but no matter what I have experienced, even if it was painful, even if I look back on it and think it was a failure, it is because of that experience that I have my current feelings, my current actions, my thoughts, and so on.  I try to live my life so that I can think in this way.

Q: When you use music with lyrics in your performances, how much of the meaning of the lyrics do you incorporate into your performances? Do you use music with English lyrics for competitions and Japanese lyrics for shows?

A: All of it. I often listen to the FaOI songs before the choreography starts, or after the programme is finished, or even just before the performance. But I have to perform not only to the lyrics, but also to the music, so it's really difficult to find the right balance between the two.

Q: Ice shows are different from competitions in terms of lighting and so on, what are you particularly concerned about when making costumes for ice shows?

A: I have to make sure that the costumes look good in dark lighting, that my fingertips are visible, and that the design and weight of the costumes are appropriate for a show, so for some programmes, the design is more important than the comfort while skating. But it is useless if I can't give a good performance, so I am trying to be creative where I can, but I don't want it to affect my performance. Also, the temperature of the rink at FaOI is basically quite high, so I ask to take care of the materials so that I don't get exhausted.

Q: Figure skating is not only a technical sport, it is also, ultimately, a sport in which beauty is measured and judged. What do you find beautiful or inspiring? Paintings, theatre, poetry, landscapes, human behaviour, sound effects, space... whatever it is.

A: I don't often have the opportunity to see paintings or theatre, but I like natural landscapes. Trees, flowers and grass. I am not familiar with all the names and types of trees, but when mountain scenery is shown on TV, the autumn colours of the leaves, and the timing of leaf colouring, and various other things change depending on the character and personality of each tree, and this creates a variety of natural scenery, which I think is beautiful. I want my skating to have different characters depending on the programme, too, so that people can feel attracted to them. 

Q: Tell us what 'little luxuries' you have done recently (for example, doubling the bath salt). 

A: It's not small at all, but I received the new customized earphones I ordered before last year's All-Japan Championships and I really like them. But there are so many more earphones I want... (laughs)

Q: What advice would you give to young children who have seen Hanyu's success and want to start figure skating?

A: There are a lot of things that are difficult and things you can't do, but if you really try, the time will come when you can change from not being able to do to being able to do, and then everyone will praise you, you will be glad and have many happy moments. If you don't want to lose, work really hard! Work harder than anyone else! Don't forget that there are people who are supporting you, so go for it!

Q: An ice show is an opportunity to present your performance to the audience, regardless of scores or winning or losing, but looking at yourself from an objective point of view, what kind of performer do you consider "Yuzuru Hanyu" to be?

A: I think I am very human. Not everything looks beautiful, and when I look at myself, I can see some bad postures, but then I see that this is also very much a part of myself. In many of my programmes, there are emotions and stories that I want to communicate, but I think it's also okay if they don't reach the audience as intended. I want to be the kind of performer who can connect with something inside the audience, or who can simply immerse them in the experience of watching and enjoying it.

Q: Finally, do you have any ambitions for this year's Fantasy on Ice and anything you would like to say to the audience?

A: I know it's not easy to get back to normal life after the Corona disaster, but I hope everyone enjoys it! I'll do my best to skate through it. And please, go home in good health afterwards!

Thank you<3

57 minutes ago, birnasan said:

Nagoya pamphlet Yuzu interview photos:

Reveal hidden contents

Second part (mostly new)

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks so much for sharing! What a beautiful interview, especially when he talked about the trees and the personalities of the trees...

1 hour ago, LiaRy said:

Can someone translate, please? It looks like Nagoya day 1 will also get 1 hour of footage (at least that's what auto-translation spit out)

There will be three different (?) programs on three different channels and two of them will be rebroadcasted (so the total of 5 programs). There is no mention of which day they will show. My guess is some sort of compilation of show highlights, but there is not much info besides the times and channels.

1 hour ago, birnasan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Second part (mostly new)

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you so much.:10742289:

Hi 

I was looking on ISU site. The dates for the Grand Prix events have been published, but the event arenas have not yet been allocated. The Rostelecom/ COR is still listed for Nov, but due to international events there was a previous notice on ISU site asking for applications for replacement venue to host COR.

Does anyone have any news about venues for each GP stage and which country/ venue might host alternate to CoR?

https://www.isu.org/media-centre/press-releases/2022-4/26974-isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-final-2022-allotted-to-torino-ita/file

@birnasanthank you so much, again. 

I love how Yuzu first talks about strategising and is super efficient in what brings success and what doesn't only to next talk about the trees, variety of colours and characters in a very nice way. Love the duality of him: a strategic, goal- and future-oriented fighter,  a perfectionist working hard without compromises, but also a poet on ice, letting himself fall to various emotions and conveying these to the audience, emphasising feelings almost every time in his interviews. Really, he has it all. 

5 minutes ago, Sun_Rise said:

@birnasanthank you so much, again. 

I love how Yuzu first talks about strategising and is super efficient in what brings success and what doesn't only to next talk about the trees, variety of colours and characters in a very nice way. Love the duality of him: a strategic, goal- and future-oriented fighter,  a perfectionist working hard without compromises, but also a poet on ice, letting himself fall to various emotions and conveying these to audience, talking about feelings. Really, he has it all. 

Well said!!!

5 hours ago, birnasan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks a lot again! <3

It's always a pleasure to read Yuzu's thoughts and feelings :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

11 hours ago, birnasan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you so much @birnasan! Reading about Yuzu's thoughts and reflection regarding his programs and parts of his career really help to give more context to his performances.