General Yuzuru Chat

Although the following thoughts were sparked by JNats, I'm posting here because they have more to do with Yuzu's future. I really wonder, given how brilliantly he skated in Nagano and how strong he seemed, if his best strategy for next season would be to skip the GP series and train largely in Japan. I'm assuming that his goal is a third OGM. I'm also assuming, perhaps wrongly, that qualifying for the Olys doesn't depend on participating in the GPS. I'm sure folks here will correct me if I'm wrong on that. 

My reasoning is that the wear and tear associated with traveling between Sendai and Toronto and all the GP venues may outweigh the advantages of racking up more competitive experience with his programs. He could still go to Toronto at some point to polish up the programs with his coaches and work on maximizing TES (hello, Nessie). But he wouldn't exhaust himself and risk serious injury (and exposure to COVID, which is not going to magically disappear, even with a vaccine). Let's remember that both ankle injuries happened during practices at competitions. 

Of course, he loves to compete and he hates to disappoint his fans. And I'm sure he'd love to r****** as the reigning GP champion, world champion and Oly champion. But the lesson of this year is that he's experienced enough and mature enough to train successfully on his own, and that there are benefits to conserving his strength for the things that really matter. 

So what do you think?

12 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

Although the following thoughts were sparked by JNats, I'm posting here because they have more to do with Yuzu's future. I really wonder, given how brilliantly he skated in Nagano and how strong he seemed, if his best strategy for next season would be to skip the GP series and train largely in Japan. I'm assuming that his goal is a third OGM. I'm also assuming, perhaps wrongly, that qualifying for the Olys doesn't depend on participating in the GPS. I'm sure folks here will correct me if I'm wrong on that. 

My reasoning is that the wear and tear associated with traveling between Sendai and Toronto and all the GP venues may outweigh the advantages of racking up more competitive experience with his programs. He could still go to Toronto at some point to polish up the programs with his coaches and work on maximizing TES (hello, Nessie). But he wouldn't exhaust himself and risk serious injury (and exposure to COVID, which is not going to magically disappear, even with a vaccine). Let's remember that both ankle injuries happened during practices at competitions. 

Of course, he loves to compete and he hates to disappoint his fans. And I'm sure he'd love to r****** as the reigning GP champion, world champion and Oly champion. But the lesson of this year is that he's experienced enough and mature enough to train successfully on his own, and that there are benefits to conserving his strength for the things that really matter. 

So what do you think?

I've been thinking just the same thing - it seems like Pooh-san is the only coach he needs :POOH:

I wondered myself if, after a successful Nats, he might consider staying in Japan to train for next year. 

I think he'd still probably like to go to Toronto during the Olympic year. It still offers him more privacy with all the scrutiny he'd be under, and just having his coaches/choreographers around to talk to and consult with would be easier, especially during times of frustration etc.. and who knows how he really feels about training in the middle of the night.  However, it would not surprise me if covid makes the decision for him. He's proven he's adaptable. I would not be surprised to hear he stays in Japan.

I think skipping the GP series was probably of the biggest benefit to him. Never underestimate the power of good physical and mental rest, coupled with a strong desire to compete.

11 minutes ago, Pammi said:

I've been thinking just the same thing - it seems like Pooh-san is the only coach he needs :POOH:

Pooh-san can be with him in K+C, but, and I want to very clear on this one - he has coaches! And they have been coaching him from 6000 miles away. Yuzu has done an enormous amount of work on his own and no one else could have done what he has, but please don't discount the importance of his contact with his coaches.  He may be alone in Sendai but he is not alone.

1 minute ago, barbara said:

Pooh-san can be with him in K+C, but, and I want to very clear on this one - he has coaches! And they have been coaching him from 6000 miles away. Yuzu has done an enormous amount of work on his own and no one else could have done what he has, but please don't discount the importance of his contact with his coaches.  He may be alone in Sendai but he is not alone.

Yes I do know of course ... it was meant as a light hearted comment :squishedPooh: (Pooh made me write it)

In one of the interviews I've seen today, Yuzu mentioned something about the coaches. Something in the lines like "If he can manage himself, he'd participate in the competition alone" as if to say he could have coaches if he really needed/wanted to but he did not pursuit it out of whatever the reason he believes. Seeing Lambiel and Lee Barkell accompanying their athletes, I thought maybe it was possible for Yuzu to ask one of the TCC coaches to accompany him but he's chosen not to. I'm not sure about travel restrictions between Canada and Japan but I'm sure the coaches and athletes traveling from overseas had more relaxed rules re isolation, etc in Japan.

16 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

In one of the interviews I've seen today, Yuzu mentioned something about the coaches. Something in the lines like "If he can manage himself, he'd participate in the competition alone" as if to say he could have coaches if he really needed/wanted to but he did not pursuit it out of whatever the reason he believes. Seen Lambiel and Lee Barkell accompanying their athletes, I thought maybe it was possible for Yuzu to ask one of the TCC coaches to accompany him but he's chosen not to. I'm not sure about travel restrictions between Canada and Japan but I'm sure the coaches and athletes traveling from overseas had more relaxed rules re isolation, etc in Japan.

In the interview he specificallyl mentioned that he thought about asking his coach or coaches to come to Japan, but decided against it because of the risks it would inmpose on them.  He missed not having his team around him to help, e.g., when he was feeling pain in his legs after practice (he was not injured, just a routine ache).  He hit the bottom in October when he started to wonder whether it was all worth the effort (is it all in vain?).   But he came through and gained strengh, confidence and new insights about his own abilities to train, choreograph and take care of himself. 

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

So what do you think?

I think that, when it's safe, he should and will return to training in person with his coaches in Toronto. He is comfortable there and has privacy and the benefit of training mates, who can up his game.  He did insanely well with the isolation and restrictions the virus imposed on him, but that doesn't translate to staying isolated when he can train with his coaches live.  Skipping the GP series was truly a health issue and a wise decision.  If there is sufficient control of the virus by next summer (and I am hopeful there will be - we are expecting four effective vaccines before then), there is no reason he wouldn't be able to participate in the GP series.  He just needs to be cautious of where he skates and the physical toll the traveling takes.  And, come on, he LOVES competition and LOVES crowds. He will be there if at all possible.  We just need to see the world get healthier.

13 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

In the interview he specificallyl mentioned that he thought about asking his coach or coaches to come to Japan, but decided against it because of the risks it would inmpose on them.  He missed not having his team around him to help, e.g., when he was feeling pain in his legs after practice (he was not injured, just a routine ache).  He hit the bottom in October when he started to wonder whether it was all worth the effort (is it all in vain?).   But he came through and gained strengh, confidence and new insights about his own abilities to train, choreograph and take care of himself. 

Thanks for confirming. I couldn't find the interview among the flood of info/news/tweet but knew from the wording/phrasing I saw that he must have decided not to have coaches with him.

27 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

In the interview he specificallyl mentioned that he thought about asking his coach or coaches to come to Japan, but decided against it because of the risks it would inmpose on them. 

And isn't that just like him? When i saw Lee Barkell, I wondered if it would have been possible for one of the TCC coaches to go too, but their health status/risk factors are unknown, and both are older, so I thought he probably would think of them first and not ask.

3 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

So what do you think?

But I think skipping the gps will be difficult to gain points for world standing. Also, I think it is still good to get ice time infront of real audience and esp going head to head with Nathan before Beijing. It's going to be more difficult and challenging but after all he is a competitor. But one thing we all know for sure is he rises above hardships. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!

--

2020 actually hasnt been a bad year for him. He won both 4CC and Nationals, broke a sp record, topped world standing, skated squeaky cleaned first time since gpf15, has stayed healthy and focused, scored over 300, graduated university. Every year there are blessings to be counted.