General Yuzuru Chat

You guys probably noticed that Jimmy Ma's short program hip-hop routine to DJ Snake & Lil Jon's "Turn Down For What" got quite a bit of media attention for being bold and upbeat. Amongst others, it was featured in USA Today, Sports Illustrated and Billboard.

One of the local Vancouver news channels which never covers figure skating picked up on this and showed a bit of Jimmy Ma's routine, with the news team obviously impressed by his upbeat performance to music which to them was not traditional for figure skating.

I don't expect anything to come of it, but I sent them an email which started as follows:

I noticed that you guys featured a video from the 2018 US National Figure Skating Championships that are currently taking place in San Jose, California. It was the short program of Jimmy Ma which attracted a significant amount of attention in the US social media.

I don't expect you guys to feature anything that I am about to refer you to, but I wanted to let you know for your own edification about a really amazing figure skater – Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan.

I then went on to provide fairly detailed background information about Yuzuru and his accomplishments.

After providing details of his credentials and accomplishments, I said that the reason for the email was to refer them to Yuzu's version of upbeat figure skating in the form of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" and provided the link to the article by Maggie Hendricks in USA TODAY SPORTS entitled "How Olympic figure skating is going to sound different in 2018".

Under the subheading, "MUSIC IS MUCH MORE RECOGNIZABLE FOR FANS", she said: "During the 2016-17 season, world champion Yuzuru Hanyu from Japan took an incredibly well-known song and turned it into what is one of my favourite programs of all time. (Press play. Your day will improve.)"

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/lyrics-figure-skating-music-yuzuru-hanyu 

I also provided the direct YouTube link to the 2016 Grand Prix Final short program performance referenced in Maggie Hendricks article.

I went more than a bit overboard and the entire email was about five pages long! I provided Yuzuru's background including the earthquake and tsunami, his desire since childhood to win two consecutive Olympic Gold medals, his incredible personality, humility, intelligence and insight.

I also provided links to Yuzu's record-breaking performances at 2015 NHK Trophy, 2015 GPF, 2017 Helsinki WC FS and 2017 ACI SP.

I provided the link to The New York Times article, "The Greatest Figure Skater Ever Is Michael Jackson on Ice Surrounded by Winnie The Poohs".

Finally, I provided a link to the Olympic channel video of Yuzu's 2014 Sochi SP performance to Gary Moore's PW and said that it was serendipitous that I just happened upon this while channel surfing during the 2014 Olympics and it changed my life. (Actually, it was the team competition SP that I chanced upon, but I did not want to complicate my explanation!)

I think I need to check myself into a Yuzuru Hanyu Addiction Rehabilitation Centre for intensive treatment...:slinkaway:

4 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

You guys probably noticed that Jimmy Ma's short program hip-hop routine to DJ Snake & Lil Jon's "Turn Down For What" got quite a bit of media attention for being bold and upbeat. Amongst others, it was featured in USA Today, Sports Illustrated and Billboard.

One of the local Vancouver news channels which never covers figure skating picked up on this and showed a bit of Jimmy Ma's routine, with the news team obviously impressed by his upbeat performance to music which to them was not traditional for figure skating.

I don't expect anything to come of it, but I sent them an email which started as follows:

I noticed that you guys featured a video from the 2018 US National Figure Skating Championships that are currently taking place in San Jose, California. It was the short program of Jimmy Ma which attracted a significant amount of attention in the US social media.

I don't expect you guys to feature anything that I am about to refer you to, but I wanted to let you know for your own edification about a really amazing figure skater – Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan.

I then went on to provide fairly detailed background information about Yuzuru and his accomplishments.

After providing details of his credentials and accomplishments, I said that the reason for the email was to refer them to Yuzu's version of upbeat figure skating in the form of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" and provided the link to the article by Maggie Hendricks in USA TODAY SPORTS entitled "How Olympic figure skating is going to sound different in 2018".

Under the subheading, "MUSIC IS MUCH MORE RECOGNIZABLE FOR FANS", she said: "During the 2016-17 season, world champion Yuzuru Hanyu from Japan took an incredibly well-known song and turned it into what is one of my favourite programs of all time. (Press play. Your day will improve.)"

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/lyrics-figure-skating-music-yuzuru-hanyu 

I also provided the direct YouTube link to the 2016 Grand Prix Final short program performance referenced in Maggie Hendricks article.

I went more than a bit overboard and the entire email was about five pages long! I provided Yuzuru's background including the earthquake and tsunami, his desire since childhood to win two consecutive Olympic Gold medals, his incredible personality, humility, intelligence and insight.

I also provided links to Yuzu's record-breaking performances at 2015 NHK Trophy, 2015 GPF, 2017 Helsinki WC FS and 2017 ACI SP.

I provided the link to The New York Times article, "The Greatest Figure Skater Ever Is Michael Jackson on Ice Surrounded by Winnie The Poohs".

Finally, I provided a link to the Olympic channel video of Yuzu's 2014 Sochi SP performance to Gary Moore's PW and said that it was serendipitous that I just happened upon this while channel surfing during the 2014 Olympics and it changed my life. (Actually, it was the team competition SP that I chanced upon, but I did not want to complicate my explanation!)

I think I need to check myself into a Yuzuru Hanyu Addiction Rehabilitation Centre for intensive treatment...:slinkaway:

I might need to join you, have half a mind to rewrite that NYT article....

3 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

I think he owns even more expensive ones... :tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:

If I remember correctly he has a FAD Piano Forte VIII or IX. Either way Piano Forte VIII is 800+ USD and the IX is nearly 1000 USD. And tbh he probably still has more expensive ones if you want to include customs and what not

Great news about the documentary! However, as much as I'd like recent footage and news, I'd rather they leave him alone with such things this year, so, I'd prefer it if it was from the off season. Given that screenshot, maybe we'll see the making of Chopin 3.0 and Seimei 2.0...