WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA

yuzuangel

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Well, that's a shame. I know the Planet doesn't encourage politics so all I'm going to say is that the very fact we even have to have this discussion and/or give using the flags a second thought, is an indication of things being very, very wrong in places,  and also that innocent people are suffering for no good reason. 

That aside, what about going back to words? "Hong Kong fans for Yuzu" , "Chinese fans for Yuzu" etc - would that work? I have no objections to carrying "Canuck fans for Yuzu"...hopefully he'd know what a Canuck is...

We‘ve already had a whole discussion about this in the PM thread. I think it’s wiser to keep the discussion there as it is a sensitive issue. If you‘d like we can add you to it. 

5 minutes ago, robin said:

We‘ve already had a whole discussion about this in the PM thread. I think it’s wiser to keep the discussion there as it is a sensitive issue. If you‘d like we can add you to it. 

No, I've said my bit and am only suggesting design options now. And basically what I'm saying is that text-only might be our answer. 

Or we could just try collaring some of the commentators who keep insisting we're all Japanese and try to explain to them what they're getting wrong. 

25 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No, I've said my bit and am only suggesting design options now. And basically what I'm saying is that text-only might be our answer. 

Oh, sure but the reason we cannot use your design idea is also political so that‘s why I suggested it. And we‘ve already had that suggestion in the PM. 

Hope this explanation is enough for you then :) 

10 hours ago, Veveco said:

Alright, here are some very rough black & white designs. I used the sentence "we love Yuzuru from all over the world" but obviously it can be anything else, it's just for the concept.

Basically it's going to be a trade-off between having a big & accurate map versus freedom for the design. (A big map is better to put the many pins on but limits the space we have for the words or other potential elements).

Idea #1 : have a big map in the center

I used the maps @Salior posted before as an example. The first one is the simplest design, text above & below map. The second one is with the words in the blank space (in that case, it only really works with the Pacific in the center), but note that it restricts the size of the words.

Hide contents

BkFdixz.png

Hide contents

003CSsq.png

Idea #2: if we focus less on having a huge map, we can play a bit more with the design & aesthetics.

I'm showing one example, it's simple & somewhat similar to the heart-shaped world idea for the smaller banner but in a circle version, just to give an idea. (FYI, I "stole" the UN logo because it was the one example I could think of of a round map with all countries on the spot. Using a round (or heart) map makes it difficult to have all countries at once in general. I tried having the 2 hemispheres instead since there are several "O" in the sentence, it works and gives more space for the pins but it looks a bit strange in terms of space management...). The biggest problem with changing the shape of the map from the traditional rectangle will be to transfer the locations to the new shape. It's doable technically, but not straightforward.

Hide contents

ZKQB5uw.png

So... that's what I imagined based on all the ideas, but I'm curious to see if people have completely different concepts in mind? :think:

Oh-oh-oh! I have an idea! Maybe instead of red (hearts) we can use pink!:tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

#JusticeForPinkColor:tumblr_ln66kd4pDq1qdlkyg:

hahaha, joke. unless?

:68468287:

Sorry fans from Hong Kong and Taiwan that you have to put up with this, especially after what the ISU allowed to happened to the Asian Open. Yuzu isn’t even competing in China this season. Taiwan and Hong Kong will compete under their own flags at the Beijing Olympics, too, so what will happen then? Very disappointed that this lovely project has been allowed to be squashed by people who probably don’t even visit this forum.

I’m done.

I am equally bummed out about the reason we were asked to reconsider the usage of flags and I did not want to cave to it initially. So I want to highlight why I personally prefer to not use flags to give you a different point of view. 

For some people certain flags are symbols for a nationalism they do not want to endorse. I personally am not comfortable with carrying or proudly displaying the flag of my parent‘s country or the country I have grown up in, a flag which represents a nationalism that excludes me. You might not have noticed but I’ve never used the country option here for that reason. 

It’s important to contextualize, flags have different meanings from country to country. Some people have to fight for their right to carry their flag and I feel for them. In my context flags have an oppressive nature. If we had continued to use flags in this project we‘d be excluding a number of people and making others uncomfortable. So I hope you guys understand why we came up with this decision.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:14 AM, SparkleSalad said:

Sorry fans from Hong Kong and Taiwan that you have to put up with this, especially after what the ISU allowed to happened to the Asian Open. Yuzu isn’t even competing in China this season. Taiwan and Hong Kong will compete under their own flags at the Beijing Olympics, too, so what will happen then? Very disappointed that this lovely project has been allowed to be squashed by people who probably don’t even visit this forum.

I’m done.

On 9/23/2019 at 7:30 AM, Frenchkiss70 said:

I am sorely disappointed that we are pressured by politics to let go of an act of showing our love to Yuzu. A world map doesn’t have the same impact as individual flags.

I’m done.

Just wanted to say that it's not solely due to that issue. Some Spanish and German fans had expressed reservations for displaying their flags too due to painful parts of their history, and was relieved to hear that we'll go with a flagless alternative.

[Admin edit]

10 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Sorry but I’ve seen fans from Taiwan and Hong Kong physically threatened over this on Twitter. I think there’s a huge difference between not wanting to display your own flag and censoring other people. 

Yes I feel sad about that too, but there were many considerations when we chose to go for the alternative route, and this is not the only reason. We worked hard to make sure everyone is respected and this is the best solution we've came up with, your initial comment sounded like you think we bended over backwards to satisfy unreasonable demands, which is not true and we did agonise a lot over it.

Showing your location on the map still enables us to "show our love to Yuzu" without the political baggage associated with flags that several countries, not just those demographics, were suffering from. We should stop acting like the original design is the one and only best solution, because there were concerns from other countries as well, just that they were not as outspoken and they deserve to be addressed too, not belittled like this.

Robin made a very good case in the reply here, it is just one of the many examples that we've received. 

3 hours ago, robin said:

I am equally bummed out about the reason we were asked to reconsider the usage of flags and I did not want to cave to it initially. So I want to highlight why I personally prefer to not use flags to give you a different point of view. 

For some people certain flags are symbols for a nationalism they do not want to endorse. I personally am not comfortable with carrying or proudly displaying the flag of my parent‘s country or the country I have grown up in, a flag which represents a nationalism that excludes me. You might not have noticed but I’ve never used the country option here for that reason. 

It’s important to contextualize, flags have different meanings from country to country. Some people have to fight for their right to carry their flag and I feel for them. In my context flags have an oppressive nature. If we had continued to use flags in this project we‘d be excluding a number of people and making others uncomfortable. So I hope you guys understand why we came up with this decision.

15 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I’m done.

10 hours ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

I am sorely disappointed that we are pressured by politics to let go of an act of showing our love to Yuzu. A world map doesn’t have the same impact as individual flags.

I’m done.

1 hour ago, Salior said:

Yes I feel sad about that too, but there were many considerations when we chose to go for the alternative route, and this is not the only reason. We worked hard to make sure everyone is respected and this is the best solution we've came up with, your initial comment sounded like you think we bended over backwards to satisfy unreasonable demands, which is not true and we did agonise a lot over it.

Showing your location on the map still enables us to "show our love to Yuzu" without the political baggage associated with flags that several countries, not just those demographics, were suffering from. We should stop acting like the original design is the one and only best solution, because there were concerns from other countries as well, just that they were not as outspoken and they deserve to be addressed too, not belittled like this.

Robin made a very good case in the reply here, it is just one of the many examples that we've received. 

Okay okay, I don't think that @SparkleSalad or @Frenchkiss70 are accusing us of giving up in the face of criticism here; they're just unhappy that fans are making this into an issue in the first place. We are disappointed that we are pressure by politics, NOT that we "gave in" to politics, because in the end that was the right thing to do.

To clarify though, we didn't change the project because fans were unhappy about it. We changed it because certain fans made the case that this might affect Yuzu. That it might throw Yuzu into a controversy through no fault or doing of his own. This doesn't make sense to me but we can't say for sure that these reactions would not occur, so we took them seriously. Some fans even hinted that there might be violence in the arena if fans are seen holding up certain flags (!!)

I don't know the extent of the risk, because I am not an expert on cross-strait relationships and how it influences the culture and behavior of people involved, but we don't want any risk at all. If it was literally just certain fans being unhappy with the flags because of their own politics, with no risk at all to Yuzu or his fans, we would have ignored it.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:11 AM, Yuzurella said:

Now that you mentioned it, I realized that this might indeed be a potential problem. It's really great that you thought of this, @yuzuangel!

It's sad that we live in a world where there is so much political contention that even the show of a certain flag might mean a certain political message or cause trouble, but this is, unfortunately, the case. So, yes, we really have to be careful about this and not risk any potential problems.:tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

Thank all of you ladies who talked about this and came up with great new ideas! :grouphug:

I think showing a map of the world is really a great solution! After all, our message of support for Yuzu comes from all over the world.

But why not just a map of the world in heartshape? I think it's not even necessary to pinpoint on the map where you come from? I mean, a world map really represents all of us.

Also, I think it would be nice to have something from Planet Hanyu. Do we actually have an official Planet Hanyu logo?

Thank you so much to @yuzuangel for putting this project together and thank you to everybody involved in this! :10742289:

Thanks for the support, but it's not really me who thought of it. There were many fans who brought this to my attention via Twitter and PH :) 

I've read the update about the banner this morning and thought about all day, and I still don't know what to write to express what I feel about it.

Thank you to everyone who took part in creating this project, I was very excited to take part in it, but I just removed myself from the form.

I hope everyone who will be lucky to watch Yuzu live this season will have a great time! And a big :grouphug: to fanyus from Taiwan and Hong Kong.