Junior Skaters of 2019/20 Season

7 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

Do you know why Samsonov is no longer on JWC list (only as substitude)? Injury?

No information from the coaches or the federation so far, so everyone’s busy guessing. Could be an injury, could be an illness like the flu. 

Just now, Fay said:

No information from the coaches or the federation so far, so everyone’s busy guessing. Could be an injury, could be an illness like the flu. 

Hmm, I read some strange tweet about broken vials, but not share what is the source and if it;s anything reliable.

29 minutes ago, Fay said:

Broken vials? Is it not about the banned Chinese Olympic champion? 

Maybe. It was next to sth about Samsonov, but not directly related, so it could be about very different topic as well. No names were given. Twitter world is chaotic. Sorry for confusion.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, rubyblue said:

Here's more info about Samsonov's WD. Team doctor said that he has some problem with joints:

https://rsport.ria.ru/20200228/1565328263.html

Thank you so much!

So the article says his growth force him to rest his joints, otherwise he may be harmed long-term. It had to happen at a moment or another, better now than in the Olympic season (I know a man who was his size until 17, then grew up in the next two years, to reach Yuzuru Hanyu's height — not figure ;-) ).

But after this spurt, he will have to re-learn all his skating, it will be hard. (It is hard for every skater of course.) I wish him the best.

33 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Thank you so much!

So the article says his growth force him to rest his joints, otherwise he may be harmed long-term. It had to happen at a moment or another, better now than in the Olympic season (I know a man who was his size until 17, then grew up in the next two years, to reach Yuzuru Hanyu's height — not figure ;-) ).

But after this spurt, he will have to re-learn all his skating, it will be hard. (It is hard for every skater of course.) I wish him the best.

It's good that he's resting now, but... I wonder about the timing of the reaction. Knowing Kanysheva's story, Tsurskaya's story and some of the other from this camp, his condition may be harsh at the moment if they decided to WD him from Worlds. They don't do it often last minute, they push their skaters the to the limit, even when injuries occures. He's very young, small and doesn't have an athletic body (yet) and he's at the age when puberty hits. Still, only this season they pushed him to jump 4lutz in GP and YOG, 4lutz and 4flip at RusNats and 4Sal at Jr RusNats. All with the technique which is far from solid and sustainable. He jumps multiplied pre-rotated quads, while even his 3axel is very unstable and often UR. I suppose, those problems with joints haven't appeared just right now from nowhere. So I have some doubts with this sudden care for his health. If they realy cared, they would have designed balanced training methods for such a talented skater. What's the point of endanger his health and entire future career like that in very first junior season? 

Anyway, hope they've learned sth, he will recover and get back on track with safe and careful development plan. 

We know Team Tutberidze do allow their pupils to have imperfect jumps in competitions, and correct them gradually after, unlike Yuzuru Hanyu. Maybe HE is rather the exception though.

I don't see why he wouldn't have learned quads before puberty. If I remember well, Eteri Georgievna Tutberidze herself said it was necessary (for girls).

Polina Tsurskaya has a genetic condition which normally should have stopped her completely when it was diagnosed, she wanted to continue, was allowed but quite logically had eventually to retire early. Alena Kanysheva had a serious injury in her previous skating team (and it can happen anywhere), then switched coaches but had to stop singles nevertheless, I have no element to think there was any fault from Tutberidze Team.

Plus, Daniil Samsonov was a pupil of Daniil Gleichengauz before they joined Tutberidze Team, and I feel there is a special bond of confidence between them.