Charity Donation (as discussed in Yuzu Cheer Project) - Which charity would you choose?

4Nessie

Charity Donation (as discussed in Yuzu Cheer Project) - Which charity would you choose?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After Worlds 2019, we decided, we should do something like a cheer project for Yuzu. One of the ideas is making a donation in his name. 

All important info is here:

Here are the charity options researched by @Veveco:

Spoiler
On 3/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, Veveco said:

Doing a bit of research on possible charities that we might want to support (as an alternative to a material gift to Yuzuru), if we are being serious about the idea. On the assumption that (1) it has to be on a 100% voluntary base (people could contribute to the "book" and not give money and vice versa) and (2) we want something related to Yuzuru so most likely "disaster relief" or "sport/FS" in Tohoku (or more broadly Japan).

As far as disaster relief goes, a lot of foundations (both Japanese and international ones) have stopped focusing on Tohoku in favor of other causes after 2014 or 2015. So, this is what I found (under spoiler because of length). It's a starting list, I'm sure a Japanese speaker for instance could find additional (and probably more local) options. Also, if anybody has an opinion on these organizations, it's obviously very welcome since I am mostly relying on their website/SNS information.

Hide contents

In no particular order:

• Japan Red Cross Societyhttp://www.jrc.or.jp/english/ Why? One of the major actors of disaster relief in Japan, currently acting to help the areas of Okayama prefecture and Hiroshima prefecture (floods & landslides in 2018) and Hokkaido (2018 earthquake). I am certain that most people are familiar with the crucial role of the Red Cross, not just in Japan. Pros: Very-well established & trust-worthy society. Easy to make donation. Information available both in Japanese & English on their website. Cons: More generic (understand: less directly Yuzuru-related)
  • Apricot Childrenhttps://apricotchildren.org/ Why? Ongoing effort to support mental health for people affected by the Tohoku earthquake (as well as other disasters in Japan). They work with local mental health professionals to treat depression, PTSD and other mental illnesses of survivors and their families. Worth mentioning: Jason Stinton has been hand-cycling (!) all across Japan (south -> north, ~3000km), starting on 3/11, to promote their action. He's in Hokkaido right now so only a couple days left. You can follow his adventures here: https://www.facebook.com/outspire.org/   Pros: Long-term action in Tohoku. The mental aspect is an interesting "twist" and too often overlooked. Easy link for donation on the website and information in Japanese & English. Cons: not as well-known NPO (unless some favor a smaller organization vs a "giant"?), less detailed reports of the exact actions/spending (although they seem legit as far as I can judge).
  • Blue for Japan. http://blueforjapan.com/english.html Why? Japanese NPO created by various retail shop & restaurant owners across Japan to support orphans of the Tohoku disaster. Their main focus is on education and care. Pros: Japan-based organization, focused on helping children. Given their business background, they appear to be very well organized in terms of fund-raising. Focus on education. Cons: Limited information in English (since it's a purely Japanese NPO), although nothing that can't be countered with a good online translator. No direct link for donation on their website, but, if my translator is not lying to me, the necessary information should be at the bottom of this page: http://blueforjapan.com/member.html
  • Playground for Hope. https://poh.ngo/en/  Why? The original focus was to rebuild children playgrounds around Tohoku in order to promote and stabilize the social aspect of life in affected regions, but they have expended their activities to other regions since, for instance the regions affected by the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake. Pros: They have been directly active in Tohoku. Focus on children. Information available in Japanese & English. Easy donation link (and you can chose which type of project to support). Cons: Not sure if they are still active in Tohoku right now? (if that is a main concern) Like Apricot and Blue for Japan, it is a more recent and thus less well-established organization (compared to the Red Cross), but as far as I can tell, they seem legit as well.

As far as sports & FS go... hum, sorry not many options from my disappointing research. Very difficult for me to find any serious foundation or NPO so I welcome any input :13877886:

Hide contents
  • The obvious option would be Sendai Ice Rink. https://icerink-sendai.net/ Why: I won't insult anybody's intelligence by developing this. Pros: Well. Yuzuru Hanyu. Figure skating. Sendai. Enough said. Cons: No information in English (not unexpected, and translating app really are life-savors). No straightforward way to make a donation (which makes sense since it is not a foundation... but an ice-rink). So I assume that we would need to contact them directly (and probably in Japanese) to figure out how to proceed.
  • I was hoping to find a cause along the lines of "supporting sports for children" or "promoting FS for kids" (that seems like the sort of causes that Yuzuru would approve of) but I couldn't find anything truly relevant. I

think a Japanese satellite (or one familiar with Japan) would have to step up here to provide better information if we want this kind of theme. Sorry - I really tried. :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:

In the end, we've picked Sendai Ice Rink and Playground for Hope as the best candidates.

Edit: (here is a nice article about Playground for Hope project: 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2013/09/06/our-lives/playground-of-hope-project-builds-communities-benefits-affected-kids/#.XLX4mOgzbIU )

Which one do you think, we should choose to donate to?

When do you think you'll be making the donation?  I just ask because I won't get my new job until June.

I picked the ice rink because Yuzu is so personally involved in that charity though either is fine.  To me, the most important thing is a note making it clear that this donation is inspired by Yuzu.

2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

I like the playground just because the Ice Rink is already funded by Yuzu. But either way is fine.

I feel the same personally :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

10 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

When do you think you'll be making the donation?  I just ask because I won't get my new job until June.

We'll try to organize the donation soon-ish, but we're still debating the practical details. Long story short, but individual donations (rather than a group donation) might be more efficient to avoid additional international transfer & currency exchange fees. In which case, feel free to make your donation at a later date if that works better for you! No pressure.

Once we have decided our pick, we'll finalize the details so we can coordinate everything efficiently.

If everyone did individual donations perhaps all we need is for everyone to send a note saying something like "on behalf of Planet Hanyu from all around the world to show our love for Yuzu".  I think it is a simple and unpretentious way of showing just another way in which he has been a worldwide inspiration, not just Japan.

p.s. I've been adding up the various donations raised by Yuzu and so far I have:

Blue Flames, Blue Flames 2 book royalties to Ice Rink Sendai

2019 Olympic Winnings to Miyagi prefecture

2019 Olympic winnings to Sendai city

2019 charity auction to reconstructions

2018 charity auction to reconstruction

2016 charity auction to reconstruction

revenue from merchandise sold from Hanyu exhibitions

Total is 98, 770, 514 yen which is

$882, 514.54 US

784, 838.16 Euro

1,180,208.87 Canadian

But I'm still going through the history.  Looks like I'm still missing some Ice Rink Sendai donations.  Didn't the surplus from the parade go there?

10 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

If everyone did individual donations perhaps all we need is for everyone to send a note saying something like "on behalf of Planet Hanyu from all around the world to show our love for Yuzu".  I think it is a simple and unpretentious way of showing just another way in which he has been a worldwide inspiration, not just Japan.

p.s. I've been adding up the various donations raised by Yuzu and so far I have:

Blue Flames, Blue Flames 2 book royalties to Ice Rink Sendai

2019 Olympic Winnings to Miyagi prefecture

2019 Olympic winnings to Sendai city

2019 charity auction to reconstructions

2018 charity auction to reconstruction

2016 charity auction to reconstruction

revenue from merchandise sold from Hanyu exhibitions

Total is 98, 770, 514 yen which is

$882, 514.54 US

784, 838.16 Euro

1,180,208.87 Canadian

But I'm still going through the history.  Looks like I'm still missing some Ice Rink Sendai donations.  Didn't the surplus from the parade go there?

The parade surplus went to charity for sure, I can't remember which one.

According to this article:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/11/1c20c652a9c7-olympic-figure-skater-hanyus-parade-brings-16-mil-benefits.html

The committee has around 22 million yen left after the cost of running the parade was deducted from its total revenue generated from sales of T-shirts and other goods as well as donations and sponsorship fees.

The money will be donated to a local skating federation in Miyagi in line with Hanyu's wishes and is expected to be used to train future skaters.”

6 hours ago, holina said:

The committee has around 22 million yen left after the cost of running the parade was deducted from its total revenue generated from sales of T-shirts and other goods as well as donations and sponsorship fees.

Thanks.  That brings the totals to

120,770,514  yen

1,079,084.54 US Dollars

1,445,019.20 Canadian

959,484.20 Euro

Just realized I'm still missing his 2014 Olympic winnings.  will be back.

eta: didn't find and exact number for 2014 but an article said almost $60,000 USD and I figured it was likely a round number so I went with 6,500,000 yen. seems paltry compared to 2018 Olympic winnings

127,270,514.00 yen
1,137,162.04 US Dollars
1,522,791.70 Canadian
1,011,124.68 Euro

sorry i forgot to vote...anyhow as much as I care about Ice Rink Sendai for obvious reasons I think playground is a wonderful idea,I work with children with great health problems and sometimes something to take their minds of the terrible situation is a gift from above:tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

Looks like the vote is even right now.

So we should probably just do both and let the satellites make their own choice. Just do somewhat organized donation, so it would be clear we donated because of Yuzu.

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

Looks like the vote is even right now.

So we should probably just do both and let the satellites make their own choice. Just do somewhat organized donation, so it would be clear we donated because of Yuzu.

the only problem I have with this is we might need more help with contacting them/researching. But regardless, I'd support both!

3 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

the only problem I have with this is we might need more help with contacting them/researching. But regardless, I'd support both!

I'm wondering if we could just use a crowdfunding site to collect all the donations in one place and then give them in a lump to the charity of choice, saying they're from Planet Hanyu in honour of Yuzu. 

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm wondering if we could just use a crowdfunding site to collect all the donations in one place and then give them in a lump to the charity of choice, saying they're from Planet Hanyu in honour of Yuzu. 

Planet uses GoFundMe. Would this be a good site to use? I've never used it