It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

7 minutes ago, Yuzu_legend said:

No no no no noooo:dpooh: that’s not going to happen!!!!!!

If not Raf, who could be a possible choice in the US for him?? Because I do think he’s going to the US...

But would Raf take on someone who could be one of Nathan's stronger rivals? (I know it worked for Yuzu and Javi, but their relationship is celebrated for its uniqueness) On top of Stephen?

(I mean, personally I still believe that the of the 3 pretenders to the 2018 Olympic crown, none will stay the course for OGM in 2022, but what do I know?)

Eteri's not a worse choice, imo she's better than Raf and TomZ. I do think he already decided for new coach, just not announce yet. There's a tiny possibility of him switching to another japanese coach and doing some oversea camp at the same time.  Communication will be tough if he indeed moving oversea. 

2 minutes ago, TallyT said:

But would Raf take on someone who could be one of Nathan's stronger rivals? (I know it worked for Yuzu and Javi, but their relationship is celebrated for its uniqueness) On top of Stephen?

(I mean, personally I still believe that the of the 3 pretenders to the 2018 Olympic crown, none will stay the course for OGM in 2022, but what do I know?)

:lol: Does this mean that there could be friction between Nathan and Raf now? Those interviews weren't exactly good PR, and Raf did sound pretty disgruntled about Nathan not going to him for training as much as he thought he should... We could do a whole TV series out of this honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Katt said:

Eteri's not a worse choice, imo she's better than Raf and TomZ.

Eteri's technique relies literally on small frames -- the way Uno currently jumps. What does he have to gain with Eteri? I assume he's going to a place that will help him jump a 4Lz (whether a real one or not is a different issue), and he hasn't exactly managed to land one with exactly the way he jumps, which is also the way Eteri makes her pupils jump.

Of the three, Raf is the one who can do something for him.

9 minutes ago, Katt said:

Communication will be tough if he indeed moving oversea.  

Yes, I wonder what will happen. I don't think I've ever heard him speak English on any interview.

Well, this is interesting.. Shoma was determined before not to leave his Japanese coaches and to remain in Japan. I guess last season finally convinced him that he needed a change desperately. Though I admit I only expected him to find new choreographers and not move overseas.

I am really curious about where he is going. Shoma works hard and if motivated and with the right coach, I think he really had a good chance of improving his technique and getting back to top form. So, fingers crossed for a good place and good luck to him

2 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Imagine if Shoma does go to Eteri and Eteri tells Shoma no more pizza. 

truly a great tragedy

I'm just going to assume Shoma is going to Eteri until otherwise stated because it's the possibility I find the funniest.

Just now, shanshani said:

truly a great tragedy

I'm just going to assume Shoma is going to Eteri until otherwise stated because it's the possibility I find the funniest.

If Shoma goes to Eteri that Boyang HAS to change his mind and go to Brian, simply because..  The DRAMA at rinkside will be splendid, totally overshadow that on the ice...

1 minute ago, shanshani said:

truly a great tragedy

It is a really convenient circle of coincidence, that rumour and this announcement. :lol: 

21 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Eteri's technique relies literally on small frames -- the way Uno currently jumps. What does he have to gain with Eteri? I assume he's going to a place that will help him jump a 4Lz (whether a real one or not is a different issue), and he hasn't exactly managed to land one with exactly the way he jumps, which is also the way Eteri makes her pupils jump.

Of the three, Raf is the one who can do something for him.

Consitency (maybe) and some actual transition ? I just don't know why people freak out when its come to Eteri while other options aren't any better. 

I just read the post on his website. He left Mihoko/Yamada, haven't decide anything yet but will do an oversea traning camp soon. Actually there's nothing about going to for foreign coach atm. Maybe he can move to Hamada ?

26 minutes ago, Katt said:

Consitency (maybe) and some actual transition ?

Transitions and consistency into quads? Eteri hasn't proved herself with either of those.

26 minutes ago, Katt said:

I just don't know why people freak out when its come to Eteri while other options aren't any better.  

I am not freaking out with Eteri at all. I simply can't see what he will gain. And Raf IS a better option than eteri -- Nathan is pretty consistent with his quads, and he's shown to be, AND he has jumped all types at least once. Uno needs help on ALL his quads apart from the 4T.

36 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Or baby Yuzu leaving Nanami Abe all those years ago.

The thing is, Yuzu was, as you said,  practically a baby back then so it wasn't that shocking. Looking backwards, kinda natural progression. Shoma's leaving a coach under whom he got 2 world and 1 Olympic medal, so I see more similarities to Evgenia. He must have been really disappointed with his season, not that I'm surprised.

But let me be honest: from the outside pov, I don't see any coach who could improve Shoma's results other than Raf.  And Raf trains Shoma's greatest rival, so I'm not sure whether Shoma would consider going there. 

43 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

According to NHK, Shoma will train in several locations overseas to test out the atmosphere/environment before deciding on the final location.  On his own website, Shoma expresses deep gratitude for all the support he has received from his coaches and others, and will never forget that they were the ones who pushed him forward and are now sending him on this new beginning.

His careful selection of words reveals a strong resolve and new level of maturity.

https://shoma-uno.com/archives/1017

Can I be frank again? There goes Shoma's 2019/20 season. 

But I guess better sacrifice the 2019/20 season and then have 2 years to train for the Olympics. 

9 minutes ago, Katt said:

Consitency (maybe) and some actual transition ? I just don't know why people freak out when its come to Eteri while other options aren't any better. 

I just read the post on his website. He left Mihoko/Yamada, haven't decide anything yet but will do an oversea traning camp soon. Actually there's nothing about going to for foreign coach atm. Maybe he can move to Hamada ?

I think Eteri's skaters' consistency comes from doing a bajillion runthroughs, which I'm not sure Shoma's body can take, given how much he was already struggling with his ankle last season. All that is fine when you're 14, but when you're older there's a balance you have to strike between practice and managing injury risk.

I actually don't think Eteri would make him do more transitions. Based on Nathan's scores, that kind of thing is clearly not needed in men's and you're better off saving your energy for jumps. Eteri is the sharpest coach when it comes to maximizing points, so she'll probably take note of that. Does Morisi do a lot of transitions?