Team Canada

9 minutes ago, Fay said:

Kaetlyn is a tremendous jumper when she lands her jumps and has glorious skating skills. 

I’ve seen the videos, Evgenia sorta sticks out... and not very favorably. 

I personally think that Kaetlyn is skating better now than when she won World's. And she's just a strong woman overall, with a powerful physique. 

As for Evgenia, there was a cute moment at the end of the show. As part of the finale, the skaters are stroking around in a circle, doing pivots to go alternately forwards and backwards but travelling in the same direction. Paul Poirier was leading and he set a really fast pace, with Kurt bringing up the rear. Evgenia was really trying, but she just couldn't keep up with the Canadians,  and by the end when they all peel off and head for the end of the rink, a gap had opened up between her and the others. Because Kurt was behind her, he had to slow down too, and she looks back at him, looks sort of embarrassed. He gives her a smile and a gentle little push to get her back up to speed and she laughs. He was saying something to her, not sure what. 

Anyway, I don't want to draw conclusions but I couldn't help but remember what Brian said in interviews last season about her speed. This was a graphic representation of what he meant. And it's got to be technique, because even Meagan Duhamel, who is shorter and has shorter legs than Evgenia and is three months pregnant, could skate faster. ALL of the Canadians could skate faster. I guess this is what people mean when they talk about Canadian skating skills. 

That’s just what I meant. Actually, she looked quite good compared to Rika in Korea, but here everyone skates excellently, and her lack of basics is just glaring. 

Sorta wish we had a sneak peep of Yuzu compared to all these guys. But no such luck. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

That’s just what I meant. Actually, she looked quite good compared to Rika in Korea, but here everyone skates excellently, and her lack of basics is just glaring. 

Sorta wish we had a sneak peep of Yuzu compared to all these guys. But no such luck. 

I would love to see that. Because from what I saw at ACI practices, he likes to go fast. Him on the ice with Kurt, Elvis, and Patrick would be a sight to behold. 

Incidentally, my seat was really close to the ice so I could observe the skaters' feet, and Patrick places his feet down on the ice differently from everyone else. It's so subtle but when you can see him skating with the others, you notice the difference. I wonder if that's what gave him the edge. His skills are far and away better than the others. Or maybe I should say his feet? That one-footed sideways slide and stop that he does... I don't know how he makes it happen. You'd topple over normally. It's got to be in his feet. 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I would love to see that. Because from what I saw at ACI practices, he likes to go fast. Him on the ice with Kurt, Elvis, and Patrick would be a sight to behold. 

Incidentally, my seat was really close to the ice so I could observe the skaters' feet, and Patrick places his feet down on the ice differently from everyone else. It's so subtle but when you can see him skating with the others, you notice the difference. I wonder if that's what gave him the edge. His skills are far and away better than the others. Or maybe I should say his feet? That one-footed sideways slide and stop that he does... I don't know how he makes it happen. You'd topple over normally. It's got to be in his feet. 

Haha... that's what gave him the *edge* tee hee. i remember reading Yuzu saying after his first competition with Patrick *years ago* that he was following behind him on the ice at practice and he just could not skate like Patrick could, something about how he used the edges and knees. He said he could do it for a short time, but couldn't do it for longer. Say what you will about Patrick, but how he touches the blades to the ice is just one of a kind... or, at least, it's not something you see anymore since the focus is different now and really you don't have many who can teach it... which is why I always hope Patrick does end up coaching young ones one day, to pass on that secret/skill...

Well, Med probably learned a lot this tour if she did notice the skills of the *old timers* ... all 3 of those men are world champions and known for their feet....

12 minutes ago, liv said:

Haha... that's what gave him the *edge* tee hee. i remember reading Yuzu saying after his first competition with Patrick *years ago* that he was following behind him on the ice at practice and he just could not skate like Patrick could, something about how he used the edges and knees. He said he could do it for a short time, but couldn't do it for longer. Say what you will about Patrick, but how he touches the blades to the ice is just one of a kind... or, at least, it's not something you see anymore since the focus is different now and really you don't have many who can teach it... which is why I always hope Patrick does end up coaching young ones one day, to pass on that secret/skill...

Well, Med probably learned a lot this tour if she did notice the skills of the *old timers* ... all 3 of those men are world champions and known for their feet....

I was thinking exactly that last night. I hope she's just being a sponge and absorbing ALL THE KNOWLEDGE... because even Nam has those skills and you can totally see it in the show. 

If I had to describe Patrick's technique, I'd say he put his blade down heel first, if that makes sense...except that's not possible in every single step..but that's what it looks like - like the rear half of his blade makes contact with the ice before the front does. But it's so, so, so subtle of a difference - most of the other skaters are making contact in the middle area of the foot I think. I'm not 100% sure even of this observation, because they all move so darn fast. It's like they're playing a game of 'the floor is lava' and stepping so quickly that each foot doesn't touch the ice for long unless they're holding an edge. 

1 hour ago, hoodie axel said:

Stojko wasn't known for his skating skills though? 

He has them though.

Anyway, it was a different era, the programs were constructed differently.  He was definitely known for fast feet in the footwork sequences. They don't even do footwork any more. It's step sequences now. 

4 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

He has them though.

They don't even do footwork any more. 

Of course he has them. They weren't exactly great, like with Browning or Chan, who were mentioned... I wouldn't use him as an example for great skills, although definitely good.

Agreed here.

7 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

Of course he has them. They weren't exactly great, like with Browning or Chan, who were mentioned... I wouldn't use him as an example for great skills, although definitely good.

Agreed here.

He's not in Chan's league, no. On the other hand, I challenge anyone to sit rinkside during SOI Canada, watch those guys skate side by side, and try to spot a weakness in any of their skills. For that matter, try and spot a weakness in any of Radford's, Poirier's, Poje's, or Nguyen's basic skating skills. It's just not there.