Team Russia

30 minutes ago, Fay said:

Technically that’s a sequence, not a combination, though. 

Do we know why she isn't that great a doing combinations? She has great solo jumps, but even with 3Lz+3T she's had troubles in the past... Is it because she doesn't have great outflow from all her jumps? She doesn't cheat the jumps, so that automatically makes it harder for her, but still with her jumping capabilities she's had too much trouble.

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Do we know why she isn't that great a doing combinations? She has great solo jumps, but even with 3Lz+3T she's had troubles in the past... Is it because she doesn't have great outflow from all her jumps? She doesn't cheat the jumps, so that automatically makes it harder for her, but still with her jumping capabilities she's had too much trouble.

She jumps high, but not far - her jumps don’t go that far horizontally, and she doesn’t have that much flow out of her bigger jumps, I guess. And she goes into her jumps quite slow, in fact. 

Why on earth they ignored working on SS is something I will never get. But that’s Mishin’s philosophy - what matters is jumps, jumps, jumps....

1 minute ago, Fay said:

She jumps high, but not far - her jumps don’t go that far horizontally, and she doesn’t have that much flow out of her bigger jumps, I guess. And she goes into her jumps quite slow, in fact. 

Why on earth they ignored working on SS is something I will never get. But that’s Mishin’s philosophy - what matters is jumps, jumps, jumps....

Yeah, that too. It all contributes to that lack of outflow to make it stable enough for combos, I guess. Also, I remember people said her 3A was better than mao's, but Mao had better air position and better flow in and out IMO, so I guess air position in some jumps could be better.

I think Mishin's philosophy can be criticized, but still it stands that he's trained good combination jumpers in the past. Plus, Plushy's basics weren't bad either, when he was at his best. :/

Just now, hoodie axel said:

Yeah, that too. It all contributes to that lack of outflow to make it stable enough for combos, I guess. Also, I remember people said her 3A was better than mao's, but Mao had better air position and better flow in and out IMO, so I guess air position in some jumps could be better.

I think Mishin's philosophy can be criticized, but still it stands that he's trained good combination jumpers in the past. Plus, Plushy's basics weren't bad either, when he was at his best. :/

Er... not his lutz and his flip, though! 

1 minute ago, hoodie axel said:

Basic skating, I mean. Not as lacking as Tukt, IIRC.

Ah. For his time, yes. Actually, better at the beginning of his senior career than later. The latest years he felt antiquated. 

On 3/1/2019 at 1:06 PM, AKC said:

This music is from Act 3 of Tosca - she needs to look like a dying swan.  She doesn't just die, she dies dramatically, tragically.

I rewatched this. I don't think that user meant "dying swan" in the way of tragedy or drama at all. In her step sequence she looks like she is just going through the motions, and doesn't bring a good form or outward expression that doesn't resolve to looking simply generic. Better speed, and especially being able to accentuate the cymbal crashes better (hops have been well-placed with some of them, but she needs to hit them) would make it look much better. She needs to hit some of her poses more dramatically. Kwan did a good job there. I do think the step sequence is the best part of the program (although overall I'm just not a fan of that program), so hopefully she'll do a better job at worlds.