Music talk

I'm not sure if anyone (or if I) have dropped this here already but I will continue to hype everywhere my desire for epic war instrumental music for a bombastic FS and no better than this album: [link=https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7_8KJvbYl3QZ9UWdyYA6ByWXsu0M9TjS]Sun by Thomas Bergersen[/link], and especially [link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izsjRpcgfmk&index=14&list=PL7_8KJvbYl3QZ9UWdyYA6ByWXsu0M9TjS]Empire of Angels[/link]. There have been some MADs made using music from this composer and they're always fantastically epic.

gahh shoma choose turanot for his fs, i love the song so much omg... i believe in yuzu's musicality, therefore.. yuzu, I'm counting on you!!! :bow: :bow: :cry: :cry:

Turandot is a great choice. Yuzu will need something similarly epic that's easy to sell. At least he knows exactly what he's going to be up against before making final decisions about his Olympic season FS.

Yes, in a sense Shoma did him a favor announcing his music for both programs so early. But I have to agree about Turandot. Although it is overused it is still a great choice for a winner program. If you do it clean, of course. :grin:

This music talk got me thinking...

I remember seeing something floating around on either Tumblr or the old FanFest about somebody sending Yuzu a list of pieces and then asked him to mark each of them as something he really likes, that he's okay with, or dislike? (Yuzu marked Asian Dream Song, half of which as we all know is remixed into Hope and Legacy, as something he loved; and he marked some pieces as okay, and didn't mark anything under a dislike... maybe he didn't want to upset the person sending him the list?)

I wonder if anyone has this list and, out of all the entries, is there anything that would suit Yuzu (preferably things in the "love" list that he hasn't skated to yet)? :pbow:

[attachment=0]CsRlyayUAAAgnfy.jpg[/attachment]

I believe this is the list, and the double circles are the ones he LOVES, which included :

Asian dream song

Merry christmas Mr.lawrence (this song would be beautiful for him to skate to, just don't know if it will be dramatic enough for olympic)

Theme from the 12 kingdoms (which is has very distinct Asian sound, a bit like seimei, but it's from an anime not some famous opera or musical or movie, so I don't know how many judges can relate.)

2 songs from man in the iron mask (very cinematic ...but man in the iron mask is sort of associated with yagoudin as we know...)

The name of life song from the movie Spirited Away(also a Joe hisashi composition, so don't know if he wants to repeat esp. The judges don't seem to favor this type of music...)

Oooh, I so much hope for something with a Japanese theme, by a Japanese composer, because it just creates such a fantastic atmosphere :bow:

Yuzuru's programs opened a whole new world of Japanese music for me and I'm hooked, hehe.

But honestly, I fall in love with every piece of music that he skates to :embSwan:

Okay, this subject is the one that I hold most dear regarding figure skating, probably. Being a musician, duh.

There are some splendid proposals here! I'd say Dvòrak's New World is definitely among those. In classical music, there is literally endless possibilities. I hope Yuzuru's team is working hard to find the best possible music ever for him. Something new and original. I don't quite care about other people's warhorses. They might be easy to skate to, but figure skating definitely needs to broaden its musical horizons. For real.

For today, I'll just propose a piece that has been on my mind for a while, for Yuzu's Short Program, which is Stravinsky's Petrushka, dance rùsse:

http://

This piece is fast, smart, virtuosistic, aggressive, dynamic. No other skater but Yuzuru would be able to skate to something like this. The accents appear randomly and switch places from one phrase to another - certain phrases look perfect for a spin, some accents are perfect for a jump. There's a middle, soft break to insert (for example) a beautiful counter-3A. And then, right after, the perfect phrase for the StSeq. But, you know, things can be arranged in many different ways. But I just- I see him skating to this. I feel like the music could fit into his skating and bring a wave of life and energy on the ice.

Only little problem: it's, like, 20 seconds too short. But I think Yuzuru's team might be able to do something about it, they are very good at modifying pieces without damaging the music.

The second piece I want to propose is for a hypotetical Long Program, and it's Ennio Morricone's Finale di un concerto romantico interrotto (Finale of an Interrupted Romantic Concert). It comes from the movie Canone Inverso, which is wonderful, and the music is, of course, wonderful as well.

We often talk about how a piece needs a lot of ups and a lot of downs - there aren't many downs in this piece. It's glorious, from start to finish. But I've tried putting this together with Hope and Legacy's layout (just to see whether the music could allow some space to the skating) and I was amazed because most jumps fit in the accents and the changes of the music PERFECTLY. *enthusiast squeal* This piece is for piano and violin, with orchestra. There are parts in which the violin is highlighted, and parts in which the piano is alone, and so on. It's very romantic. Ennio Morricone is a musical genius. I hope you people will appreciate this choice!

There's only one problem here, and it's the same as with the first piece: too short, by 20 seconds. But, oh well. They can make something up.

I just attended a Final Fantasy (Distant Worlds) concert, and a few weeks ago the Kingdom Hearts equivalent. Both JRPG series have so much fine music, I would absolutely love to see a program with one or more pieces from these (or other JRPG) series, possibly arranged for orchestra.

Or something Star Wars, just because we got cheated out of Leia's theme at Worlds. And it's May the Fourth be with you, so naturally I have to throw in a rec for that. :-)

[attachment=0]CsRlyayUAAAgnfy.jpg[/attachment]

I believe this is the list, and the double circles are the ones he LOVES, which included :

Asian dream song

Merry christmas Mr.lawrence (this song would be beautiful for him to skate to, just don't know if it will be dramatic enough for olympic)

Theme from the 12 kingdoms (which is has very distinct Asian sound, a bit like seimei, but it's from an anime not some famous opera or musical or movie, so I don't know how many judges can relate.)

2 songs from man in the iron mask (very cinematic ...but man in the iron mask is sort of associated with yagoudin as we know...)

The name of life song from the movie Spirited Away(also a Joe hisashi composition, so don't know if he wants to repeat esp. The judges don't seem to favor this type of music...)

Thank you for translating this!

Personally, the 12 Kingdoms idea tackles my fancy like whoa because it's one of my favorite anime ever. Now, which divine unicorn would Yuzuru play? :smile: (Taiki, of course.)

For the last week, I’ve been completely obsessed with the idea of Yuzu skating to

. FS, I’d say, even.

It has:

– lyrical parts AND badass energetic parts

– a lot of ups and downs!

– great guitar riffs which we already know Yuzuru interprets really well

– very nice lyrics

– iconic piece in general, and YET not really skated to??

I just feel like if he did it, it would be such an absolutely iconic skate. I know people (skaters? judges?..) still prefer classical pieces, and while I love classics, I’m so ready for more rock songs and more new stuff, and Yuzuru is so good at bringing new and unused things to the table and making everyone fall in love with them.

Other than that, I do love how he interprets classical music (Chopin!!!!), so I’m always up for that. I feel like piano and chamber pieces suit him even better than big orchestral compositions, I’d love to see more stuff like that. There’s a wonderful piece by Brahms,

, it could be a similar feel to Chopin… although, maybe, too similar? It is really lovely, subdued and emotional (all Yuzuru). But also, drums (a la Seimei) are so good too.

I just love this thread, love reading all suggestions *____*

another program like hananimare would be perfect

ABSOLUTELY!! i don't care that I've stated this many times before but Hana Ni Nare is my favourite program of all time and it makes me cry every time. i don't know why. Especially when he skated it again in 2014. Its just so emotional and th music is brilliant too! i read the translation of the lyrics and now i can't not cry when watching it. Its so beautiful and i definitely feel that this type of music suits him.

I would also very much love it if he skated to Yiruma.

This piece is perfect i feel. Or maybe something piano, but olden classical. Like Liebestraum No.3, La Campanella are just a couple off the top of my head.

Or actually, maybe it would be suitable to use korean music since olympics is in pyeongchang, so music like this would be amazing

(i also love this korean drama like mad even though its very old.)