Team Japan

20 minutes ago, Katt said:

If he can manage to make his Lutz to flat edge, that's already a huge improvement. There are just a few skaters who have correct edge on both Flip and Lutz so for me, 1 correct edge and 1 flat are good enough :laughing: Good thing that he still manage time to go to coach jump in US :smile:

And one thing, if they want a correct Lutz.... most and foremost they should learn: NOT pre-rotate the jump like almost 2/3 of the first rotation on the ice. 

Lutz is a Toe Assisted jump, not an Edge jump in disguise of a lutz. They should teach the skaters to NOT pre-rotate it EXCESSIVELY. 

At least he's working on his weaknesses. It doesn't mean he will succeed, but it means that he's aware of them, even if they're not (yet) called.

That's the kind of behavior that could make me warm to him finally.

7 minutes ago, Altie said:

At least he's working on his weaknesses. It doesn't mean he will succeed, but it means that he's aware of them, even if they're not (yet) called.

That's the kind of behavior that could make me warm to him finally.

Frankly Shoma never has a true Flip and Lutz. What he has been is edge jump disguised as toe jumps, from 10 years old. So it will be interesting to see how they address it. 

One thing, having a flutz but with correct tapping method is better cause you only have to fix the edge (even though it's difficult). He doesn't just have wrong edge, he doesn't use the toe pick correctly.

one thing why Jason Brown can fix his Flutz somewhat, even though not totally, because he doesn't have pre-rotation, his toe pick strike right onto the ice. So Jason has learned to leave the ice immediately before he flutz. Even though his lutz still gets e now and then, he can somewhat improve it.

The key is that Shoma doesn't strike the toe pick on the ice, he side way it and rotate it on the ice and leaves on the right back outside edge. There is no way to call that a toe jump. Seriously I don't think they can fix it in one summer. 

3 hours ago, meoima said:

And one thing, if they want a correct Lutz.... most and foremost they should learn: NOT pre-rotate the jump like almost 2/3 of the first rotation on the ice. 

Lutz is a Toe Assisted jump, not an Edge jump in disguise of a lutz. They should teach the skaters to NOT pre-rotate it EXCESSIVELY. 

Yes I know, but this can't be fixed in just one or two session, right ? Yuzuru somehow can fix his flip because he only have problem with edge, not the rotation/air position/toe pick. But Shoma's problem with Lutz is more complicate and it would take way longer. May be an e call at WTT is a good sign for him ( And dont go for the 4flutz, please :drama:) One can hope that the tech panel will give the right call. But at least, he's trying to fix, even if the result won't come soon. 

On 5/30/2017 at 14:21, xeyra said:

Full translation of Keiji and Shoma's interview for Quadruple 2017. There are some parts here that made me laugh so hard and others that are really sweet about their friendship.

Shoma and his fart bombs :laughing: I would really never have expected this of him.

Speaking of Shoma, there was an announcement today that he's getting sponsored by Toyota, though actually the wording that was used from the posts I've read is that he's "joining" Toyota as an employee?? Not quite sure what this means. Or is this just really a creative way Toyota refers to the people they sponsor?

6 minutes ago, katonice said:

Shoma and his fart bombs :laughing: I would really never have expected this of him.

Speaking of Shoma, there was an announcement today that he's getting sponsored by Toyota, though actually the wording that was used from the posts I've read is that he's "joining" Toyota as an employee?? Not quite sure what this means. Or is this just really a creative way Toyota refers to the people they sponsor?

I think it's sort of like what Yuzu has with ANA. From what I understood, you're basically an employee as in you receive a salary and are part of the company. Someone who knows better can help out?

17 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I think it's sort of like what Yuzu has with ANA. From what I understood, you're basically an employee as in you receive a salary and are part of the company. Someone who knows better can help out?

Yuzu's relationship with ANA has always been athlete-sponsor, not employee. My memory is a bit hazy but ANA funds his training/travels as his sponsor (partial?). 

I’m not sure what relationship Shoma has with Toyota, but the articles I’ve seen were very specific about the word employee and mentions its being temporary while he still attends chukyo uni.

5 minutes ago, ShiroKJ said:

Yuzu's relationship with ANA has always been athlete-sponsor, not employee. My memory is a bit hazy but ANA funds his training/travels as his sponsor (partial?). 

I’m not sure what relationship Shoma has with Toyota, but the articles I’ve seen were very specific about the word employee and mentions its being temporary while he still attends chukyo uni.

Thank you for clarifying!

40 minutes ago, ShiroKJ said:

It sounds like a weird set-up, but maybe it's because I'm just used to the typical athlete-sponsor concept. I guess his main job description will be to keep doing what he's doing and skate lol.

2 hours ago, katonice said:

It sounds like a weird set-up, but maybe it's because I'm just used to the typical athlete-sponsor concept. I guess his main job description will be to keep doing what he's doing and skate lol.

Ok this is just a guess but going by some of the things that happen in Western companies, I imagine it's a little bit like this. Toyota as a company is also a huge sponsor for various events, including sports. They must have a department that deals with this, and I am guessing this is where Shoma comes in. They have him signed now and he'll be going as a 'Toyota employee' to do various promotion. Technically he should even be a part of event organization etc but lbr, he's not going to do any of those. In essence, it's a cushy gig.

Now I think Shoma is studying something related to sports? I am not sure if it is sports management or what but multinationals like Toyota can probably even keep him on later, depending on what he wants to do, once his skating is done.

3 hours ago, MrPudding said:

:sign0009:  

I read somewhere that Yuzu's main sponsor is ANA thus he cannot receive any other sponsors(?). Can an athlete have multiple sponsors?

It probably depends on the contract but for Yuzu I think he is limited to ANA as his affiliate. It doesn't matter though since his training and travel expenses are more likely than not all covered and he has so many endorsement deals.

I asked my Japanese friend (who's in his early 20's and doesn't follow figure skating) which Japanese figure skaters he's heard of, and other than Yuzu and Mao, he said Fumie Suguri and Miki Ando. I found that kind of interesting, but it makes sense since Fumie skated for like a decade and Miki did win 2 WC's.