Team Japan

On 1.3.2018 at 9:43 AM, Sombreuil said:

I hope he stands firm and does whatever it takes to recover.  He did the 'skating while injured to preserve places' in 2013 and got the three places for the Olympics enabling Machida and Takahashi to go ( much good it did them) and I didn't get the impression that anyone was especially appreciative of the effort.  He's  not 18 any more, it's not a pre Olympic season, Uno can step up to the plate and will and if they want to go, so can Tanaka and Mura.  I don't want to see him injure himself further for places that won't actually lead to anything for that third participant if history is anything to go by.

Not denying that Yuzu accomplished a herculean feat with his leap from 9th after the SP to 4th overall while injured, but whenever people imply that he secured those spots entirely by himself or that he enabled Tatsuki and Daisuke to go to the Olympics I'm a little...eh? I'm all for credit where credit is due, meaning that Tatsuki's Olympic spot didn't hinge on Yuzu's placement at all and Daisuke (who competed with an inflamed knee himself) helped earning his own spot by placing 6th. Rounded out by Yuzu's 4th and Takahito's 8th place finish the scenario was: 4 + 6 = 10 (3 spots) / 4 + 8 = 12 (3 spots) / 6 + 8 = 14 (2 spots)

Takahashi and Mura missed securing the third berth by one (!) point. Had Yuzu withdrawn due to his injury they more than likely would have either secured the three spots on their own (because then Daisuke would have finished 5th and Takahito 7th = 12) or with the help of Nobu, who would have replaced Yuzu. Ergo Daisuke deserved his berth that he helped earn by his own efforts (while, similarly to Yuzu, putting his knee on the line for the team, because at that point obviously noone knew who would get the spots in the end).

That said I too don't want Yuzu to compete this time around and potentially aggravate his injury and believe that Shoma, Keiji and Takahito will be up to the task, especially in this significantly depleted field. It will be interesting to see who would get to occupy the third spot next year. Might be none of Tanaka or Mura, but possibly Tomono or Sumoto instead. :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:

9 hours ago, saltycandy said:

Takahashi and Mura missed securing the third berth by one (!) point. Had Yuzu withdrawn due to his injury they more than likely would have either secured the three spots on their own (because then Daisuke would have finished 5th and Takahito 7th = 12) or with the help of Nobu, who would have replaced Yuzu. Ergo Daisuke deserved his berth that he helped earn by his own efforts (while, similarly to Yuzu, putting his knee on the line for the team, because at that point obviously noone knew who would get the spots in the end).

Fair enough - perhaps it was his own stubbornness that made him skate on that occasion, unnecessarily.  I hope that Tanaka and Mura manage to do themselves justice on this occasion.

2 hours ago, cinemacoconut said:

Who do you think has a brighter future.

Marin Honda or Rika Kihira??

Marin gets soo much media coverage in Japan compared to her actual results. She was off the podium on her grand prix debut yet she gets like 3 documentaries solely focuses on her while Rika gets none. Its unfair

Rika.

Because JSF clearly doesn't care about media darlingness, and Marin's been having training and motivation issues. Plus, yes she can emote but we see that PCS and performance scoring is almost purely political anyway :salty:, and your PCS isn't going to budge unless you land the jumps. Marin has never been consistent her entire career, although she did peak at the right time to win 2016 Junior Worlds gold and the 2017 silver medal. But with her small jumps, questionable technique, and lack of consistency, I don't see Marin being much of a challenger. Rika was underscored at nationals this year and still got on the podium whereas Marin has never been on a senior nationals podium. Very surprising given what she's achieved (on the junior circuit) and her hype.

As for her X-factor/performance ability, I agree that she does emote to the rafters and beyond, which is a great gift. Her flow and glide on the ice is one of the best I've ever seen. Not many skaters are able to do that. But she's still missing something in her expression, maybe depth? I can't count how many times she does dramatic lunges or reaches out with her hands to faux-grab something in her programs lol. But that's something that can come with maturity and better choreography.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:36 PM, yuzuangel said:

Rika.

Because JSF clearly doesn't care about media darlingness, and Marin's been having training and motivation issues. Plus, yes she can emote but we see that PCS and performance scoring is almost purely political anyway :salty:, and your PCS isn't going to budge unless you land the jumps. Marin has never been consistent her entire career, although she did peak at the right time to win 2016 Junior Worlds gold and the 2017 silver medal. But with her small jumps, questionable technique, and lack of consistency, I don't see Marin being much of a challenger. Rika was underscored at nationals this year and still got on the podium whereas Marin has never been on a senior nationals podium. Very surprising given what she's achieved (on the junior circuit) and her hype.

As for her X-factor/performance ability, I agree that she does emote to the rafters and beyond, which is a great gift. Her flow and glide on the ice is one of the best I've ever seen. Not many skaters are able to do that. But she's still missing something in her expression, maybe depth? I can't count how many times she does dramatic lunges or reaches out with her hands to faux-grab something in her programs lol. But that's something that can come with maturity and better choreography.

[Admin: Please refrain from commenting and speculating on skaters' weights. It's inappropriate. I've edited it out of your post.]

If she loses weight wont her jumps become bigger and better?

The documentary starts at 45 minute mark and she mentions that she has only one meal per day. 

On 3/4/2018 at 1:33 AM, cinemacoconut said:

[Admin: Please refrain from commenting and speculating on skaters' weights. It's inappropriate. I've edited it out of your post.]

The documentary starts at 45 minute mark and she mentions that she has only one meal per day.

all competitive athletes have a diet of some shape or form. And jumps is more about body and muscle structure, if you notice most of the big jumpers in ladies have very muscular legs.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:33 AM, cinemacoconut said:

I don't think starving yourself for dinner everyday and only drinking tea constitutes for a healthy diet either. And size isn't the only factor affecting jumps. Wakaba and Satoko are the same height but Satoko is a thinner built than Wakaba and guess who has the higher jumps?

7 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

I don't think starving yourself for dinner everyday and only drinking tea constitutes for a healthy diet either. And size isn't the only factor affecting jumps. Wakaba and Satoko are the same height but Satoko is a thinner built than Wakaba and guess who has the higher jumps?

Maybe its because Russians eat alot of bread (simple carbohydrates) that she needs to starve dinner? I dont know what russians eat

Midori Ito the first woman to jump the 3A had quite a stocky build.    I don't like the criticisms one sees all over social media of athletes physiques - haven't there been enough cases of eating disorders in skating and gymnastics to put an end to this?