Team Japan

Soooo, Do you guys think Shoma will add 4Lz next season?

Yes, there's no doubt about it. It's the 'best' weapon he has against Yuzu and Nathan. Even though I'm not sure how his 4Lz will work out... I kind of want to see his attempts at PIW to see if he's keeping the outside edge or if it would be !/e.

Here are some calculations, assuming all in first half and applying the GOE as per rules (but those are not likely to always be applied):

3Lz BV

4Lze

Severe wrong edge take off F/Lz (sign “e”) -2 to -3

BV + GOE

9.50 plus -1/-2/-3 GOE = 8.30/7.10/5.50

4Lz!

Unclear wrong edge take off F/Lz (sign “!”) -1 to -2

BV + GOE

13.60 plus -1/-2/-3 GOE = 12.40/11.20/9.60

4Lz

Unclear wrong edge take off F/Lz (no sign)

BV + GOE

13.60 plus -1 GOE = 12.40

This is assuming no underrotation call (<), which would further lower the BV of the jump.

Sources:

[link=http://static.isu.org/media/207718/1944-sptc-sov-communication-2015-2016.pdf]1[/link] | [link=https://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Technical%20Panel%20Handbook_Singles%20Skating.pdf]2[/link]

At Worlds: 1.3 points. 103.43 vs 104.74

But I think Shoma might go for 2 4F next season. Of course Yuzuru could up his BV too though.

Technically, Shoma's layout at Worlds would have been 105.14 BV, if he got all his spins at level 4 (he missed a level at Worlds). The difference with Yuzu's BV would have been 1.71 in that case. However, for WTT he included a 4F2T combo in the second half (BV 107.34), which would make the difference with Yuzu's BV 3.91.

If Shoma adds a 4Lz, removes the 3Lz, goes for 5-quads and otherwise keeps the layout as it is, his BV could be 114.94 (4Lz 4Lo 4F // 3A3T 4F2T 4T 3A1Lo3F 3S). Higher than any BV iteration Yuzu might have with his 4Lz, actually. Of course, there's always the possibility the BV would lower with edge and/or UR calls on his 4Lz. Or that he won't go for 5 quads at all.

Haha, pre-rotation discussion popped up and it wasn't me... and it didn't even take a week either :grin:

I'm not surprised hearing that Shoma tried the 4Lz... I'm not even sure I want to see it though. I can't believe he gets that outside edge when a few weeks ago his triple was still a clear flutz. It's quite depressing and I know I'll spend all of next season ranting so much if no miracle happens. But yeah, as long as the TPs and judges basically tell Shoma that he doesn't need to work on things, it makes sense that he won't.

(If you get a 4Lz with a 4F and vice vers for free now, then please someone tell Boyang. His 4Lip would at least still be a great jump, and he has the 4Lo too. All quad + 3A layout here we come :cool: )

I would like to take a peek into AU where Shoma belongs not to team Japan but to team "we're fewer but still good". His program layouts would be different for sure.

(If you get a 4Lz with a 4F and vice vers for free now, then please someone tell Boyang. His 4Lip would at least still be a great jump, and he has the 4Lo too. All quad + 3A layout here we come :cool: )

:rofl2: :goe:

Haha, pre-rotation discussion popped up and it wasn't me... and it didn't even take a week either :grin:

I'm not surprised hearing that Shoma tried the 4Lz... I'm not even sure I want to see it though. I can't believe he gets that outside edge when a few weeks ago his triple was still a clear flutz. It's quite depressing and I know I'll spend all of next season ranting so much if no miracle happens. But yeah, as long as the TPs and judges basically tell Shoma that he doesn't need to work on things, it makes sense that he won't.

Been ranting about that for quite a while, I just wasn't on GS to say so :tongue:

(Max Ambesi started saying that in, like, October so... :grin:)

I've been whining about it since... I can't even remember, and I'm just always happy if I'm not alone with all my drama :tongue:

I would like to take a peek into AU where Shoma belongs not to team Japan but to team "we're fewer but still good". His program layouts would be different for sure.

You mean they would call him stricter and therefor he wouldn't attempt something like the 4F? More TR to get the PCS? Or even more crazy jumps because low PCS anyway?

You mean they would call him stricter and therefor he wouldn't attempt something like the 4F? More TR to get the PCS? Or even more crazy jumps because low PCS anyway?

I think they'd call stricter, give him less GOE love and 4F wouldn't even be ratified in the first place. PCS wouldn't be that generous too imo.

I don't think it's drama, I think it's facts, it's just some people that twist it into drama (because we are "oh-so-crazy-haters".) :grin:

I mean, I love Wakaba, but if someone tells me that she has a lip I won't tell them they're haters, so...I don't do double standards :tongue:

I'm a Shoma fan, much more than some people here, and even I can't help but *facepalm* at his 4Lz talk (and wince at his 4F, when comparing it to Nathan's). I am, on the other hand, kind of in love with the 3A4T combo he was doing at practices.

I think they'd call stricter, give him less GOE love and 4F wouldn't even be ratified in the first place. PCS wouldn't be that generous too imo.

Thanks for clarifying, and I agree. Though the 4F.... pre-rotation sadly isn't called in general, even if the rule book says it should. But the GOE would very likely be different. As for PCS, I think the high PE & IN marks are justified, SS halfway, but TR.... similar to Nathan in that regard (tough Shoma is better overall).

Gio, yes it's facts, but I'm ranting so much I feel like sometimes I just have to laugh at myself. And lol, yes Wakaba has a really pretty... 3 lip :laugh: I love Anna too, but her Lutz take off is meh. There are sadly quite a lot of skaters with questionable technique.

I'm a Shoma fan, much more than some people here, and even I can't help but *facepalm* at his 4Lz talk (and wince at his 4F, when comparing it to Nathan's). I am, on the other hand, kind of in love with the 3A4T combo he was doing at practices.

:goe: nobody ever said your favourite skaters have to be flawless, it would be nice if more people knew that

Joey I see what you mean...I try to do that when I become too salty. So I won't repeat here a bad bad joke I did once about 2 4F in a program. :tongue:

Yes, but Wakaba's jumps are overall great...someone should just take her away from that team :eh: (besides great lutz uber alles, who cares about having a lip :devil: )

Yes, Sota has moved to Seniors since last season... I don't know about the injury status, but he was in that Oly team camp, so I'm trying to be optimistic.

Yes, but Wakaba's jumps are overall great...someone should just take her away from that team :eh: (besides great lutz uber alles, who cares about having a lip :devil: )

True, but I doubt she will change her team now... maybe after next season, but I can't see it happening now. I just hope she gets 2 great programs (I loved loved loved her SP, and while I didn't like her LP as much, it was still a good program IMO) and that she lands her 3As like the one in that WTT practice video. I just need some ladies out there attempting the 3A, otherwise I get itchy :laugh: (and no, quads don't make up for it, 3A >>>> quads!)

(Of course there is also princess Rika :love: )

Ehehehe, and of course, that doesn't need to be said, inside edges are overrated :space:

True, but I doubt she will change her team now... maybe after next season, but I can't see it happening now. I just hope she gets 2 great programs (I loved loved loved her SP, and while I didn't like her LP as much, it was still a good program IMO) and that she lands her 3As like the one in that WTT practice video. I just need some ladies out there attempting the 3A, otherwise I get itchy :laugh: (and no, quads don't make up for it, 3A >>>> quads!)

(Of course there is also princess Rika :love: )

Ehehehe, and of course, that doesn't need to be said, inside edges are overrated :space:

I honestly doubt she'll change in general, she recently said she feels great with her current team, so I don't see it happening anytime soon. Which is a shame, all she needs is a better layout. Agree re: programs, her SP was my favourite SP of the season among ladies, and her LP wasn't bad at all. I'm curious about music choices for next season...these programs really highlighted how mature she is as a performer :grin:

Yes, ladies with a 3A :love: her 3A looked super impressive, I do hope she'll land it in competition soon. It could be a great push for her too, especially since Japanese ladies have only 2 spots. (Rika is just unreal tbh :love: )