This is like the 5-6th years of knowing Yuzuru, he surely will upgrade layout. Who knows maybe he will do 4A lol...

I have to say there is a tiny part of me that wants this simply because I would laugh myself out of this Galaxy due to all the crying that would happen if he landed a 4A in the Olympics and won. It would be glorious!

No, actually scratch that. I would laugh myself out of this Universe.

Yes I've got a tny part in me saying the same thing... But then I realize that if that happens, he'd have realized all his dreams and probably r*** afterwards, and I'm not ready yet.

yeaa I agree my heart can't take it just yet :cry: I am just hoping to see some 4A in action after ice shows or during practice :goe: would be so glorious but still scared of risking injuries on him.. *sigh* it's hard wanting to see something but also wanting to see a healthy yuzu

I have just seen this on Twitter, a quick lesson to compare what is a true Lutz and what is a Flutz:

I feel bad for Nathan and Boyang...

I can finally (clearly) see the difference between the jumps. I can also picture in my mind that drawing Meioma has done before. Thank you :pbow: :pbow:

I have just seen this on Twitter, a quick lesson to compare what is a true Lutz and what is a Flutz:

As much as I'm not fond of Nathan's wobbly landings, he does have amazing edges on both the flip and lutz (which I don't see very often so that's got to be very difficult)

And once again I'm reminded of Boyang's amazing height on his lutz. he has airtime to spare before his landing foot even touches the ice! no wonder it always looks like he's flying when his lutz is in full mode

Actually Shoma's landings sometimes bothers me more. When he does those crazy turns out of his jumps.. it looks really unstable

Lol we don't talk of Shoma's landings here.. or it'll turn into pages and pages of analysis and gifs/videos :rofl2:

Nathan's and Boyang's jumps have room for improvement but it's entirely different for Shoma (as in, he doesn't just 'wobble'; it's much worse than that lol). Tbf his body type might be at a disadvantage compared to other jumpers in the field, but it is what it is and doesn't change the fact that he has rather poor techniques on his jumps

That is not a flutz it's a extra flutz :omg: . I feel in aw everytime he dont get a call for it! :mad: And those forced landing! I really think he's lucky that he doesn't have a hipp or a knee injury. I hope he can fix those jumps because I really like Shoma and I don't wanna see him getting hurt. :s_sad

I'd agree that Boyangs body alignment overall is pretty good, and that it's a problem with his feet/ankles when his landings wobble so much. What he sometimes messes up too is the landing edge... he lands too much with a flat edge (or even inside), instead of an outside edge.

However, I was positively surprised that his jumps looked better in that regard in practices in Helsinki, so maybe it's more of an old habit still creeping in in competition. He looks better in that regard this season compared to last in general too. So I hope they work further on it, it is fixable in my opinion, at least very much so compared to Nathan and especially Shoma.

And when he lands his jumps like the 4Lz in his WC LP, there is zero to complain about. I haven't seen Patrick or Javi land their jumps better than that.

Oh, that was by far the best jump of all competition IMO!!! :bow:

Of the three, I am most interested in Boyang's longterm development. Because he might stick around long enough to become a complete skater. And with hard work and some creativity, his deficiencies are fixable. There is progress already. When he first came on the scene, his programs were emptier than Nathan's. Shoma has the best second mark, but I don't think he can fix his jumps.

Boyang has hard landings occasionally and I think like Fresca said it is because his knee is a bit stiff (unlike Yuzu), similarly I feel the same with Nathan. But I have other problem with Nathan, the way he checks out and opens up his jump is a bit weird sometimes. I am not sure if it will affect him in terms of injury though or whether it is just style and will not affect someone so much.

I think i remember somewhere someone said Nathan tilts to one side too much when landing? not sure if that's what you're referring to, please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Maybe, but I am talking more about the way he unwraps his free leg. It does not necessarily mean that it is wrong though, it just bothers me but I can't explain why :p Maybe fresca can explain better

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by this. It makes his jumps look so clumsy and unstable even when he lands them.

can someone please point me to this drawing? thanks :bow:

I guess they are this

No, Anna's legs and thighs have correct shape for the outside edge. Is this clearer: http://imgur.com/5fibDHP

If you can not see their edge, look at their thighs.

this

True Lutzers bends their knee to keeps the outside edge and it creates this shape bending shape. While Fluzters always straighten their legs at take off.

Miki (true Lutz) Vs Daisuke (Flutz): http://imgur.com/IAWph7Q

Yes, this is why Gracie is a Lipper: http://imgur.com/pJvVv6s

and these

this is Yuzuru when his Flip was still meh, this was at JWC 2010, he got flat ! call for it): http://imgur.com/6CdF0gd

You see his outside edge? And even if you do not look at his edge, you see his left leg was not straightened, this was when he's 15.

And look at the close-up here in 2017: http://imgur.com/7FfH7cK

Gif: https://media.giphy.com/media/LNHRbLTxb6sF2/giphy.gif

You see at the take-off, his left leg was straightened a bit right at the take-off. That's the improvement. That straight leg even just for a half second means it's a Flip. You can feel the motion pulling to the right (and inside). Or you can say his left leg is slightly straightened. So it is counted as an acceptable Flip.

I don't remeber if there was something else :s_scratchhead

Fixing balance and alignment is much trickier because it requires you to develop an understanding of what muscles to engage and adjust to keep yourself in balance/alignment. A teacher can tell you how to position yourself or even move you into the correct position but remembering what that position feels like so you can move into it again or adjust yourself to maintain it is a different matter. To explain, [link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCWsIXxcLLw&t=1094s]here is ballet dancer Tetsuya Kumakawa describing to Dai this adjustment.[/link]

The Tetsuya Kumakawa part is very interesting. It's a pity that Takahashi seems not quite followed up his description. I wonder if Yuzu can appreciate it more, because he certainly learned a lot from the talking with Nomura Mansai.

Well Yuzuru is as good at understanding the theory behind figure skating as at skating itself :goe:

His analyses are always a pleasure to read, they are deep and accurate. More so he is very eager to learn more about sport in general. I recall that conversation he had with the gymnast Kenzo Shirai about jumps :smile: :bow:

(Also: 25 posts yessss! :yay: )

yes, i have always been impressed with him about this. there's that video where he was still in his early senior career talking about mastering quad toe loop. he doesnt really talk about it as a 'feeling' as i thought skaters would usually say, but gave a really analytical explanation about how to regain the balance even if the axis was off.

I think he would definitely click more with Tetsuya Kumakawa than Dai. His explanation about jerking his muscles to adjust his air position (and his F1 example lol) is very interesting. Dai looks so lost...

Anyway, i have a question. The reason yuzu 'jump a salchow that look like a toe loop' and vice versa was because his sp was all edge jump and it'll 'look boring' otherwise right? (edit: wait dont tell me its just because he wants to challenge himself? lmao) Because it's not like it gave him any advantage risk-wise and score-wise... (i still cant believe he's this extra about small details) but what does he meant by that? the entry? transitions? i remember he said something about edge jump and something about curve... but i dont remember much else

Edit: also reading this thread made me remember how after that mayor suggesting shoma to jump quint, ppl were like 'maybe he'll jump it by accident xD' (joking ofc but still) and i cant help but laugh at how ridiculous it sounds :rofl2: ppl... you cant jump quint... by accident... especially one with less than stellar technique :smile: