General Yuzuru Chat

I thought for a time Machida roomed with Daisuke during Sochi? Idk no source but I recently went through Matchy's GS fanfest and I thought someone said that it was when they were like "partying" (not the exact word used) in the room and how Matchy was able to get over his shyness and was able to kind of befriend Dai.

23 分ぐらい, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

I thought for a time Machida roomed with Daisuke during Sochi? Idk no source but I recently went through Matchy's GS fanfest and I thought someone said that it was when they were like "partying" (not the exact word used) in the room and how Matchy was able to get over his shyness and was able to kind of befriend Dai.

I dunno how room assignment works at the Village exactly but I'm guessing that when there are 3 representatives per country per gender max for Singles FS, the odd person out will end up rooming with someone of a different nationality, or someone from a different FS field (pairs and dance), or even someone who does a different sport. So I'm guessing that when Hanyu moved out after he fell ill, Machida  and whoever Takahashi was rooming with switched rooms so M and T get to have a fellow countryman or Singles figure skater to chat with and that other dude now gets a room to himself? That's what makes the most sense to me, anyway.

But Hanyu made it clear that he and Machida were roomies before and during the event. Unless he was this sad outcast who imagined the whole thing and deluded himself into believing that it's true and all this while he's really been rooming with an imaginary friend he calls Machida.

5 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I dunno how room assignment works at the village exactly but I'm guessing that when there are 3 representatives per country per gender max for FS, the odd person out will end up rooming with someone of a different nationality, or someone who does a different sport. So I'm guessing that when Hanyu moved out after he fell ill, Machida  and whoever Takahashi was rooming with switched rooms so M and T get to have a fellow countryman or figure skater to chat with and that other dude now gets a room to himself? That's what makes the most sense to me, anyway. But Hanyu made it clear that he and Machida were roomies before and during the event. Unless he was this lonely outcast who imagined the whole thing and believed it to be true.

:rofl:

I'll take this theory, I mean, not the part I bolded. Tbh I think it must have started that way with the rooming and then maybe Hanyu moved out. Wasn't there a clip when Hanyu went to the Olympic village cafeteria and grabbed a fruit drink too?

Talking to Ueda he must have simplified it. Some things are just easier said and done by keeping it short.

8 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I dunno how room assignment works at the Village exactly but I'm guessing that when there are 3 representatives per country per gender max for Singles FS, the odd person out will end up rooming with someone of a different nationality, or someone who does a different sport. So I'm guessing that when Hanyu moved out after he fell ill, Machida  and whoever Takahashi was rooming with switched rooms so M and T get to have a fellow countryman or Singles figure skater to chat with and that other dude now gets a room to himself? That's what makes the most sense to me, anyway.

But Hanyu made it clear that he and Machida were roomies before and during the event. Unless he was this sad outcast who imagined the whole thing and deluded himself into believing that it's true and all this while he's been rooming with an imaginary friend he calls Machida.

I was reading this thing about repressed memories and how malleable memories are - basically that we have memories of our memories, and sometimes the clearest memories of our childhood are things that never happened or things that happened to our best friends and we were told about so much that we've pretty much inserted outselves into the real events in our heads... or similar things. And careful and consistent suggestion can create new memories that we can be convinced are true, too.

Not that I think Yuzu does this or anything. The whole conversation is just reminding me of that memory thing.

If my memory can be trusted. Apparently nobody's can.

About the room assignment in Sochi, there were many comments/reports that contradict each other. Probably it was changed several times depending on the situation, like assigning a room for each man before Men’s event and once it was over each lady could use a room or something like that. Yuzu was spotted in the footage filmed in the restaurant in the Olympic village aired before the team event or Men’s event, so he must have been staying there at the beginning of the Olympic games. However, after he won the OGM he was very busy and sick (he had swollen tonsils,) so he probably moved to the multi-support house provided by Japan Sports Council.
You can read a quote from an article reporting his condition after Men’s event here. (though it's in Japanese)
I can’t provide a link to the news footage filmed in Olympic village though. It’s very old. Found it.

31 分ぐらい, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

Talking to Ueda he must have simplified it. Some things are just easier said and done by keeping it short.

Ueda only asked about the Village and who he roomed with when he was staying there. The interview itself could have been before he fell ill (though it was after the medal ceremony), so he may have been still staying at the Village at the time.

But even if it was after, talking about anything else would've been irrelevant and a waste of precious airtime, of which I believe each station only has very limited amount, seeing as there's a long line of other news outlets waiting for their chance to interview the newly minted men's FS Oly champ.

That or Ueda had only been cleared to ask about the Village and not later arrangements because Hanyu didn't want the part about him falling ill highlighted. Understandably so, too, because what mattered was his win and the narrative should be focused on that and that alone. I only heard about him falling ill very casually mentioned once in passing at a different interview. (O: The article @sweetwater so kindly provided the link to is only the second time I heard mention of it and that's like 5 minutes ago. >_<