Skating on the Planet

37 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Omg same. My problem is that my left outside edge is terrible (a combination of bad technique, not enough muscle, overpronation, and too much turnout making my hips hard to control), so I can't get into spins properly... 

Oh dear, does your coach have any tips on how to fix that? On the bright side, having great turnout will be good for stuff like Ina Bauers and Spread Eagles!! 

4 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Oh dear, does your coach have any tips on how to fix that? On the bright side, having great turnout will be good for stuff like Ina Bauers and Spread Eagles!! 

Yeah, we've been working on it, but it's tricky, I keep doing it wrong half the time, and it doesn't help that I'm the typical adult who is scared of bad falls, mostly because I'm really paranoid about hand injuries. We'd been working on it before the pandemic started, but now I'm honestly too lazy to go back to skating. But yes, spread eagles are the one thing I'm good at :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

9 hours ago, guitarist said:

Yeah, we've been working on it, but it's tricky, I keep doing it wrong half the time, and it doesn't help that I'm the typical adult who is scared of bad falls, mostly because I'm really paranoid about hand injuries. We'd been working on it before the pandemic started, but now I'm honestly too lazy to go back to skating. But yes, spread eagles are the one thing I'm good at :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

Haha I am jealous! I wish I was good at spread eagles 🙈

And yes I feel you so much, I’m terrified of everything... even trying to get a bit more speed into my jumps freaks me out haha. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been a much better skater today if only I wasn’t so scared of everything...

2 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Haha I am jealous! I wish I was good at spread eagles 🙈

And yes I feel you so much, I’m terrified of everything... even trying to get a bit more speed into my jumps freaks me out haha. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been a much better skater today if only I wasn’t so scared of everything...

No need to be jealous, I suck at everything else!

The answer to that is probably yes, but at some point you have to stop and really think about whether that fear makes sense for you or not. My coach knows I'm really scared of a lot of stuff, but she doesn't push because she knows that for adults it's not just a simple matter of getting over falls. If you get injured, you still have a life with responsibilities. If I get injured, I still have work, still have to cook for myself and do chores. So yeah, maybe I'd be a better skater if I weren't so scared, but I also don't want to get injured because I'll be screwed if that happens. 

Wish I'd started as a kid, back when injuries were easier to deal with. Unfortunately, I'm from a resort town in Mexico. No ice rinks there :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

3 hours ago, guitarist said:

No need to be jealous, I suck at everything else!

The answer to that is probably yes, but at some point you have to stop and really think about whether that fear makes sense for you or not. My coach knows I'm really scared of a lot of stuff, but she doesn't push because she knows that for adults it's not just a simple matter of getting over falls. If you get injured, you still have a life with responsibilities. If I get injured, I still have work, still have to cook for myself and do chores. So yeah, maybe I'd be a better skater if I weren't so scared, but I also don't want to get injured because I'll be screwed if that happens. 

Wish I'd started as a kid, back when injuries were easier to deal with. Unfortunately, I'm from a resort town in Mexico. No ice rinks there :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

I understand, I’m scared too because getting injured affects our daily activities so much like you said :( Although I’m not gonna lie, even if not for the inconvenience in daily life, I’m scared of the pain too XD 

If you’re worried about hand injuries, have you considered wrist guards? Those are usually worn by people while rollerblading although I don’t recall seeing people wear it in the ice... I supposed because of the hard plastic, it protects against wrist/hand injury but I also heard someone say before that because the ice is slippery, the plastic will end up sliding on it and you might end up getting an even worse injury... so maybe ask your coach about them?

For me sometimes I use kneepads! The soft kind that only has padding and no plastic so it won’t slide anywhere. I’ve also seen people wearing padded pants to protect the buttocks although I have no idea how good they are since I never tried them...

On 7/23/2020 at 8:41 AM, FlyingCamel said:

If you’re worried about hand injuries, have you considered wrist guards? Those are usually worn by people while rollerblading although I don’t recall seeing people wear it in the ice... I supposed because of the hard plastic, it protects against wrist/hand injury but I also heard someone say before that because the ice is slippery, the plastic will end up sliding on it and you might end up getting an even worse injury... so maybe ask your coach about them?

I guess you're right. When I used to go to the rink in the beginning, I wore wrist guards. And one day, a lady who skated pointed out to me that it was better to put gloves over the wrist guards because if I fell I would hurt myself even more because of the plastic.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:46 AM, guitarist said:

Omg same. My problem is that my left outside edge is terrible (a combination of bad technique, not enough muscle, overpronation, and too much turnout making my hips hard to control), so I can't get into spins properly... 

Mine is so bad too! 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, FlyingCamel said:

I'm just surprised because I don't think I've ever seen him using it? :smiley-whacky115:

And I'm the opposite of you, I find it easier to spin on the spinner than on the ice :sadPooh: :sadPooh:

Haha I think that's because I have a lot of bad habits when spinning on my skates that become very obvious and make it hard to spin on the spinner :surprised_pikachu: 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, yuzuangel said:

Haha I think that's because I have a lot of bad habits when spinning on my skates that become very obvious and make it hard to spin on the spinner :surprised_pikachu: 

What do you mean by bad habits? 
I find spinning on the spinner and the ice quite different though... like my balance point on the spinner is quite different from that on the ice blade and also I find camel spins feel very different... sit and upright feel more similar 👀

12 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

What do you mean by bad habits? 
I find spinning on the spinner and the ice quite different though... like my balance point on the spinner is quite different from that on the ice blade and also I find camel spins feel very different... sit and upright feel more similar 👀

Hm I guess like my center isn't completely over my left side when i do my forward upright spin, which somehow still allows me to spin on the ice but feels nearly impossible on the spinner. And  I can't do camel or sit spin on the spinner at all lol, haven't really tried, but the few times I've tried it was a fail lol

Anyway so I have been doing it more and have gotten a little better on the spinner. I hope it helps my on ice spins lol. Backspins are a lot easier on the spinner for me mehh

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Hm I guess like my center isn't completely over my left side when i do my forward upright spin, which somehow still allows me to spin on the ice but feels nearly impossible on the spinner. And  I can't do camel or sit spin on the spinner at all lol, haven't really tried, but the few times I've tried it was a fail lol

Anyway so I have been doing it more and have gotten a little better on the spinner. I hope it helps my on ice spins lol. Backspins are a lot easier on the spinner for me mehh

Hehe, I guess having the exact same spinner as Yuzu should serve as pretty good motivation to use the spinner :embSwan:

And I agree with you, somehow backspins are easier! I think I read online quite a few people feel this way too

For me, ranking from easiest to hardest to spin would be: spinner>ice>>>rollerblades :Poohgaveup:

7 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hehe, I guess having the exact same spinner as Yuzu should serve as pretty good motivation to use the spinner :embSwan:

And I agree with you, somehow backspins are easier! I think I read online quite a few people feel this way too

For me, ranking from easiest to hardest to spin would be: spinner>ice>>>rollerblades :Poohgaveup:

Yes the spinner is very cute! ANd i think the fact that when you do your backspin the spin is pulling you towards your center instead of away from it is why  it's so much easier on the spinner.

Wahh I've never successfully tried on roller blades! I watched this video on how to spin on rollerskates and i think it makes sense?

Unfortunately I don't have these types of skates and can't adjust my toe stop and my toe stop has worn away quite a lot so it's very far from the ground. I'm waiting to buy new ones hoping they'll be closer to the ground so i can spin. I got pic skates but now I wish i got the snow whites instead.

53 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Yes the spinner is very cute! ANd i think the fact that when you do your backspin the spin is pulling you towards your center instead of away from it is why  it's so much easier on the spinner.

Wahh I've never successfully tried on roller blades! I watched this video on how to spin on rollerskates and i think it makes sense?

Unfortunately I don't have these types of skates and can't adjust my toe stop and my toe stop has worn away quite a lot so it's very far from the ground. I'm waiting to buy new ones hoping they'll be closer to the ground so i can spin. I got pic skates but now I wish i got the snow whites instead.

Hmm I guess it does makes sense that having the toepick lower would help!! And I tried snow white before, I personally think it’s even harder to spin in than pic skates? Or maybe it’s just me because these Taiwanese skaters seem to have no problem at all:

She makes it looks so easy?? I don’t know how? (Also check out the Origin ending pose XD)

And I can’t say I can spin in rollerblades either, the best I can do is like 2-3 revolutions of an upright spin... :sadPooh:

But regardless of whether there are rink closures or not I feel like rollerblades are useful to have for skaters!! Like it saves money because it’s costly having to pay to use the ice every single time you want to practise :disdain:

I've been skating for almost two years... and I still can't do a good spin :-( . Even on two feet, it's still not optimal. I wish I could train more, but my head hurts quickly with these spins. ^^

I've never used a spinner, except during a camp in Colmar 2 years ago... and frankly I couldn't do anything with it ^^ (worse than on the ice).

When you talk about backward spins, you impress me! :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:  How long have you been skating?

@FlyingCamel You're right, roller skating is more economical ;-) . Because in addition to the entrance fee to the ice rink, there are also the transport costs (if the ice rink is far from your home). But what wouldn't we do for ice skating ? ;-)