Skating on the Planet

5 hours ago, river said:

My coach told me to send her some music ideas for a program and we'd start working on one. Of course, now my mind's gone completely blank. My taste in music tends toward the dramatic, but I don't have the skill to pull anything like that off. One of the downsides to being an avid FS watcher is that you get all these choreo ideas that you'll never be able to do.

I'm tempted to send her a playlist with a bunch of warhorses as a joke.

Also, I can fairly consistently get a slow backspin around for a few revs now. So... yay?

i feel like a piece of music that has a slow part and a dramatic part makes for a good program. like r+j 1.0? :D 

• 2 months later...

Went for a skate at a public session recently and this old man who said he competed internationally back in the day watched me skate for a bit and basically coached me for the session and tried teaching me some old-school figures. It was very lucky and I think I did about a year's worth of improvement in like 90 minutes (exaggerating but also not really lol). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My rink just opened like a month or so ago, but only for lessons, so I only get to skate 30 minutes a week. Doing everything again after not skating for a year was rough, but fortunately things are coming back at a somewhat reasonable pace (given the 30 min/week practice time). It's weird, I feel like I'm going through skating 101 in fast forward. The first time I stepped on the ice again it felt like when I first started to skate, and each week since I get a few things back. This week: forward crossovers (these are way scarier than supposedly more “advanced” elements :13877886:), waltz jumps, and one-foot spins. I even did a not-completely-shit one foot slalom.

Maybe I'll sign up for two lessons a week just for the extra ice time, but ugh it's so expensive.

One thing that really surprises me is how tiring everything is. I think because I lost a lot of muscle over a year of not skating, so now my muscles have to work extra hard to do the same things. I guess since I gradually built muscle as I was originally learning how to skate, it wasn't so exhausting (since the stuff you do in the beginning isnt particularly intensive). Now, I have the muscle memory for various things but the actual muscles of a couch potato, so I am winded extremely easily. Skating with a mask can't help either. 

Hi everyone, so I haven't skated for like a year. But it's fine, I spent some time roller skating, until it snowed too much to do that too.

But I have a personal/moral dilemma? And I don't think anyone else will understand except for people here :P So I live and skate in the US (unfortunately) which means that if I wanna do testing or competitions most of the time I have to go through USFSA. Don't really want to give them a dime but most adult testing is through USFSA as well as competitions. There's ISI too which is unaffiliated but there are fewer competitions and they're a lot less serious, I think. IDK. Maybe I should just not test? Or maybe sign up for 1 year membership (which is $144 fyi) and try to do all the tests I can do and then cancel, and then only compete non-USFSA competitions? (if you want to compete you have to pass that level test.) I don't really know how this works haha. Sigh. Moral dilemma.

35 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Hi everyone, so I haven't skated for like a year. But it's fine, I spent some time roller skating, until it snowed too much to do that too.

But I have a personal/moral dilemma? And I don't think anyone else will understand except for people here :P So I live and skate in the US (unfortunately) which means that if I wanna do testing or competitions most of the time I have to go through USFSA. Don't really want to give them a dime but most adult testing is through USFSA as well as competitions. There's ISI too which is unaffiliated but there are fewer competitions and they're a lot less serious, I think. IDK. Maybe I should just not test? Or maybe sign up for 1 year membership (which is $144 fyi) and try to do all the tests I can do and then cancel, and then only compete non-USFSA competitions? (if you want to compete you have to pass that level test.) I don't really know how this works haha. Sigh. Moral dilemma.

haha. how much do you want to test/compete? If I were you I would probably train until I could be reasonably sure I could pass several of the tests in a row, then sign up and cancel. the USFSA isn't going to be able to do that much with $144. plus I'm sure the organization does a lot of things outside of politicking and pushing their own elite senior skaters

I'm curious to know how things go for you after you skipped a year of skating. the first time I stepped back on the ice I was shocked by how slippery the ice felt and how awkward and bad I was even at basic stroking. I mean, it's coming back quickly enough, but still. :13877886:THE ICE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THIS SLIPPERY. it's probably still going to be a few weeks before I feel comfortable working on the things that I was working on before. but you roller skated and iirc are more advanced than me, so it might be different

ugh I miss skating already. I wish rinks would open to the public soon. 

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Is the fee that high now?? iirc the Skating Club of New York is cheaper for adults. I think my membership was $90, you just can't compete in the regular junior/senior events. I was able to sign up for tests and compete with that membership. Idk if you're in the area, though (then again, there's plenty of skaters who live in different states from the clubs they represent). I think it really depends on how much you want to compete. I haven't really seen that many non-USFSA competitions, and the ones I've seen are fairly small. I agree that your best option is probably to try to take them all in a year. And maybe you can find a cheaper club.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned how to do a half lutz in my last lesson and definitely took a few falls in my efforts to ensure I wasn't doing a half-flutz lol. I think I managed to succeed on not flutzing but it definitely still feels unnatural. 

I think I'll try drilling it a lot next time I get the chance. I mean, if Yuzu can throw himself at the ice for 45 minutes trying to land 4A, I can stumble around a bit as a try to get a correct lutz takeoff. so inspirational

me, whenever i'm not on the ice:

10 hours ago, shanshani said:

I mean, if Yuzu can throw himself at the ice for 45 minutes trying to land 4A, I can stumble around a bit as a try to get a correct lutz takeoff. so inspirational

me, the moment i step on the ice:

not in the mood, i think i'll just practice these 3turns today :roll:

14 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

me, whenever i'm not on the ice:

me, the moment i step on the ice:

not in the mood, i think i'll just practice these 3turns today :roll:

lol well drilling Lutz entries did not happen today as planned

but that was because my coach decided to teach me the salchow today so I practiced that instead 😅 guess we're just learning one jump per lesson now. so now I can do a garbage half Lutz(!) and a garbage 1S loool. but finally, a jump with a listed BV!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 4:12 AM, hananistellata said:

Oh to be able to pick up figure skating. We only have a seasonal ice rink that only opens during Christmas but due to COVID-19 it wasn't open last year. I think it might open this year though since my country's vaccination process has been going smoothly. If I ever get the chance and find an ice rink, I will start figure skating as an adult. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

it's definitely loads of fun and good exercise

in fact skating is the only reason I manage to actually do an ok amount of exercise each week

• 3 weeks later...