Skating on the Planet

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

I have trouble with the mohawk in the figure eight crossovers. Why is it on the first adult test??? And why do I have so much trouble with it? You'd think mohawks would be easy for me, good turnout is literally the only thing I've got going for me :headdesk2:

those crossovers are terrifying!

3 hours ago, guitarist said:

I have trouble with the mohawk in the figure eight crossovers. Why is it on the first adult test??? And why do I have so much trouble with it? You'd think mohawks would be easy for me, good turnout is literally the only thing I've got going for me :headdesk2:

Oh thanks for reminding that! And I'm on the same boat with the mohawks... I have 50% success rate on them, 50% of time they worked out fine, 50% of time I tried hard not to kiss the ice :facepalm: good thing that we only have one mohawk in the first adult test

The judging for the first few adult tests are pretty forgiving though. Their goal is to encourage you to get into skating because they know skating as an adult is really terrifying :P  That being said the things that are on the pre-bronze test are really hard! The edges require a ton of control and the transitions between the crossover lobes can get scary because the crossovers force you to generate so much (sometimes unwanted) speed. But edges are like the basis for all of our future skating so I guess they want you to get that down before anything else. I'm glad they left the three turns to the silver test though because I hated 3 turns for most of my time skating (and still hate left forward inside 3's).

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

The judging for the first few adult tests are pretty forgiving though. Their goal is to encourage you to get into skating because they know skating as an adult is really terrifying :P  That being said the things that are on the pre-bronze test are really hard! The edges require a ton of control and the transitions between the crossover lobes can get scary because the crossovers force you to generate so much (sometimes unwanted) speed. But edges are like the basis for all of our future skating so I guess they want you to get that down before anything else. I'm glad they left the three turns to the silver test though because I hated 3 turns for most of my time skating (and still hate left forward inside 3's).

I hate left forward inside 3s too! my right ones are okay now, but it was only recently I started getting an okay success rate on them

ugh, I want to skate now. but I havent been able to because I've been traveling for the past month and a half and now I'm under quarantine. plus my home rink is shut for the first half of 2020 :sadPooh: I'll probably have to relearn left forward inside 3s :13877886:

mohawks took me a while too, I found outside 3s way easier. but my turnout is pretty average

8 hours ago, shanshani said:

I hate left forward inside 3s too! my right ones are okay now, but it was only recently I started getting an okay success rate on them

ugh, I want to skate now. but I havent been able to because I've been traveling for the past month and a half and now I'm under quarantine. plus my home rink is shut for the first half of 2020 :sadPooh: I'll probably have to relearn left forward inside 3s :13877886:

mohawks took me a while too, I found outside 3s way easier. but my turnout is pretty average

haha that's interesting. i got mohawks on my right foot wayyyyyyyyyy before i got any 3 turns. mohawks on my left foot took a while longer tho

i've been working on silver moves, and there are all 8 types of 3 turns on it. i'm still working on checking them lol

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

haha that's interesting. i got mohawks on my right foot wayyyyyyyyyy before i got any 3 turns. mohawks on my left foot took a while longer tho

my LFO 3turn was easy peasy, it only took a session or two and I got it before my two foot turn lol. RFO is a harder but I feel like that has to do with my ongoing boot/blade issues for my right foot, plus I strongly prefer turning counterclockwise to clockwise. but I got both like a month before I got my inside mohawks. I got right to right to left open mohawk first, but left to right didn't take much longer. but it's not as good--I always exit on too deep an inside edge lol. I have a hard time straightening my 3 turns and mohawks in general, my coach kept making me redo my half flip entry because my turn kept being too swingy

inside 3 turns are the devil though. at least I have the RFI one down (after literal months of struggle), that one's more useful anyway. before I took a break I still had to psych myself up and warm up my LFI ones up before I could do them. I also did like, several accidental rockers trying to learn them lol

5 minutes ago, shanshani said:

my LFO 3turn was easy peasy, it only took a session or two and I got it before my two foot turn lol. RFO is a harder but I feel like that has to do with my ongoing boot/blade issues for my right foot, plus I strongly prefer turning counterclockwise to clockwise. but I got both like a month before I got my inside mohawks. I got right to right to left open mohawk first, but left to right didn't take much longer. but it's not as good--I always exit on too deep an inside edge lol. I have a hard time straightening my 3 turns and mohawks in general, my coach kept making me redo my half flip entry because my turn kept being too swingy

inside 3 turns are the devil though. at least I have the RFI one down (after literal months of struggle), that one's more useful anyway. before I took a break I still had to psych myself up and warm up my LFI ones up before I could do them. I also did like, several accidental rockers trying to learn them lol

Haha well LFO is useful for more stuff actually so that's good -- like flip entries, salchow entries, toe loop entries if you want, and it's part of your CCW spin entry. RFI is also useful for more stuff like toe loop entries, loop entries if you do multiple 3 turns, and it's even part of your backspin entry so it's good that those are your best 3s haha

I don't think i EVER use the LFI, maybe that's why it's still the hardest one :P

3 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha well LFO is useful for more stuff actually so that's good -- like flip entries, salchow entries, toe loop entries if you want, and it's part of your CCW spin entry. RFI is also useful for more stuff like toe loop entries, loop entries if you do multiple 3 turns, and it's even part of your backspin entry so it's good that those are your best 3s haha

I don't think i EVER use the LFI, maybe that's why it's still the hardest one :P

yeah it's fortunate that my stronger turns are the more useful ones. I can do LFO 3s in my sleep (just not particularly straight lol) and counterclockwise waltz 3s are now part of my warm up routine. weirdly I also find doing RFO 3 turns a little easier in the context of waltz 3s than by themselves, I guess because you carry angular momentum into the turn

lol I remember that I finally achieved a sort of decent 1 foot spin and also managed to do a crappy forward scratch spin before I had to stop training for a while. ugh I'll probably have to work to earn those things back too.

lol actually today i was working on my LFI 3 turns, and my coach kept telling me to skate faster into it. LFIs are so forced for me (like I get around by jerking my whole body around violently instead getting deep enough on the edge that you basically *have* to turn naturally like you're supposed to if you want to do smooth 3 turns), and i can't go into them with any speed because then it's scary

i never use my LFI 3 turn so i think that's why it's so comparatively underdeveloped 

even my back inside 3 turns are better

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2020 at 4:09 AM, FlyingCamel said:

Hey, how is everyone practising now that most rinks are closed and most people are staying home?

i tried to roller skate, but it's also been raining, and roller skaters have no grip in the rain (i have so many bruises from falling 5 times in 20 minutes when i tried to roller skate in the rain)

On 3/28/2020 at 4:09 AM, FlyingCamel said:

Hey, how is everyone practising now that most rinks are closed and most people are staying home?

Stretching, yoga, and cardio when I can, but work (and a general dislike of off-ice training) is making it hard right now. If I can't skate, at least hopefully I won't be completely out of shape when the rink finally reopens.