Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting etc.

yuzuangel

Does anyone do any sewing/knitting/crocheting etc.? :D

I've been working on a couple of figure skating outfits because they're (famously) really expensive and need to be made to fit, which requires ~way~ too many fittings haha. If anyone does any sewing/dressmaking/apparel-making or other related hobbies like knitting, crocheting, embroidery, needlework, etc. please post them here! :grouphug:

B5xAMQc.jpg9WT9To1.jpg

(Before I blinged it lol, tbh I don't really bling my dresses very much, but I do like the act of blinging, it's very...therapeutic almost.) This dress was mostly difficult because of dying the skirt (previously white silk) to match the top (spandex/stretch material) as well as trying to do like the ombre effect. I tried many different ways and failed many different times but eventually I think I learned how to do silk dyeing as well as dip dyeing -- will hopefully be easier next time! So I used typical silk dye, the kind you have to dissolve in water and then heat-set, but then upon studying some figure skating dresses as well as Satomi Ito's book, I concluded that most skating costumes actually use some sort of fabric *paint* (specifically, probably spray paint). So I'll try to see if I can get my hands on that next time.

ETA: This is what it looks like after adding some ~*bling*~ :animated-smileys-character-075: (still WIP)

jJZLPOD.jpg

Just now, yuzuangel said:

I've been working on a couple of figure skating outfits because they're really expensive and need to be made to fit, which requires ~way~ too many fittings haha. 

B5xAMQc.jpg9WT9To1.jpg

(Before I blinged it lol, tbh I don't really bling my dresses very much.) This dress was mostly difficult because of dying the skirt (silk) to match the top (spandex/stretch material) as well as trying to do like the ombre effect. I tried many different ways and failed many different times but eventually I think I learned how to do silk dyeing as well as dip dyeing -- will hopefully be easier next time!

I have so bitter experiences at dyeing anything, that for me, such an effect on two different fabrics look somehow "magical".

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I've been working on a couple of figure skating outfits because they're (famously) really expensive and need to be made to fit, which requires ~way~ too many fittings haha. If anyone does any sewing/dressmaking/apparel-making or other related hobbies like knitting, crocheting, embroidery, needlework, etc. please post them here! :grouphug:

B5xAMQc.jpg9WT9To1.jpg

(Before I blinged it lol, tbh I don't really bling my dresses very much, but I do like the act of blinging, it's very...therapeutic almost.) This dress was mostly difficult because of dying the skirt (previously white silk) to match the top (spandex/stretch material) as well as trying to do like the ombre effect. I tried many different ways and failed many different times but eventually I think I learned how to do silk dyeing as well as dip dyeing -- will hopefully be easier next time! So I used typical silk dye, the kind you have to dissolve in water and then heat-set, but then upon studying some figure skating dresses as well as Satomi Ito's book, I concluded that most skating costumes actually use some sort of fabric *paint* (specifically, probably spray paint). So I'll try to see if I can get my hands on that next time.

ETA: This is what it looks like after adding some ~*bling*~ :animated-smileys-character-075: (still WIP)

jJZLPOD.jpg

completely useless with a everything related to sewing and ect(tho I'm a proud granddaughter of an amazing woman who used to cut and sew men's formal suits)but i love the color and i'm pretty speechless about the ombre effect, is it sorcery?:176:

I clearly rememberrSatomi using an airbrushes so maybe that's the secret!

Well, I sewed my own facemask recently, so there's that! :xD:

I'd like to sew my own garment someday, but it certainly won't happen in the near future. Any other sewing I did before the mask were just mending/fixing works.

I also knit — I last knitted a red cowl with herringbone stitch, fit for winter. Before that I knitted fingerless mitts and a pair of socks. I haven't knitted garments more complicated than socks/mitts though 😅🙈🙈

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

but then upon studying some figure skating dresses as well as Satomi Ito's book, I concluded that most skating costumes actually use some sort of fabric *paint* (specifically, probably spray paint).

From the videos on YouTube of her working, it looks like Satomi uses an airbrush to custom colour her fabrics. I would guess that either liquid dye or fabric paint could be used with that.

I knit. I've been exploring ways to make some colour charts for knitting projects inspired by Yuzu's costumes, still working the idea out though. I also know how to sew and crochet, though I don't do either one very often. I love free-hand embroidery, and have made things like embroidered pillowcases. If I had more free time I'd definitely be a all-round needlecraft person and do everything. 

I knit - anything to keep my hands busy, although socks are probably my favorite.  They're portable while you're working on them, the yarn is so fine that they take a long time to do, and then they're practical when they're done. I worked in a yarn store in college, actually.

12 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

From the videos on YouTube of her working, it looks like Satomi uses an airbrush to custom colour her fabrics. I would guess that either liquid dye or fabric paint could be used with that.

I knit. I've been exploring ways to make some colour charts for knitting projects inspired by Yuzu's costumes, still working the idea out though. I also know how to sew and crochet, though I don't do either one very often. I love free-hand embroidery, and have made things like embroidered pillowcases. If I had more free time I'd definitely be a all-round needlecraft person and do everything.

I've thought about knitting some sort of lace shawl and hand-dying the yarn in a gradient like Hope and Legacy's. Or Origin 2.0, and then knitting in some silver beads. Although my yarn dyeing skills are not quite up to my knitting skills, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, river said:

I've thought about knitting some sort of lace shawl and hand-dying the yarn in a gradient like Hope and Legacy's. Or Origin 2.0, and then knitting in some silver beads.

H&L would make a lovely shawl, also a great sweater. You could even include the shoulder ruffle. But I don't knit fast enough so I'm thinking hats. Nice warm ones for the arena. The ones I have on mind are H&L/Etude, Origin, Seimei. I think if I figure out one chart then it will be easy to adapt for the others. 

3 hours ago, river said:

I knit - anything to keep my hands busy, although socks are probably my favorite.  They're portable while you're working on them, the yarn is so fine that they take a long time to do, and then they're practical when they're done. I worked in a yarn store in college, actually.

I've thought about knitting some sort of lace shawl and hand-dying the yarn in a gradient like Hope and Legacy's. Or Origin 2.0, and then knitting in some silver beads. Although my yarn dyeing skills are not quite up to my knitting skills, unfortunately.

Wow, that would look so beautiful! His costumes pair the best colors tbh.

19 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Well, I sewed my own facemask recently, so there's that! :xD:

I'd like to sew my own garment someday, but it certainly won't happen in the near future. Any other sewing I did before the mask were just mending/fixing works.

I also knit — I last knitted a red cowl with herringbone stitch, fit for winter. Before that I knitted fingerless mitts and a pair of socks. I haven't knitted garments more complicated than socks/mitts though 😅🙈🙈

Cowls and mitts and socks sound like the best things to knit though. Especially for the cold winters! I actually haven't knitted (I only sew), but it seems like a therapeutic thing to do.

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Cowls and mitts and socks sound like the best things to knit though. Especially for the cold winters! I actually haven't knitted (I only sew), but it seems like a therapeutic thing to do.

It is, especially for cowls/scarves because you don't have to measure things out/keep in mind how big the knitted thing is going to be (for me at least, the longer/wider the scarf/cowl, the better 😂😂) — that's not quite the case for sweaters/cardigans.

I also have always wanted to knit a sweater, but I don't have enough yarns and don't have the right knitting needles. yeah I know, sounds like I'm making excuses, but....😅😫😫🙈

Anyhow if you have the chance to try it then try it :D , I personally recommend you to start with bigger needles and yarn, you'll finish the knitted thing quicker ;)

51 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This is key. Otherwise it's very easy to get bogged down and take years to finish something.

Like the blanket I started my first semester of college? The knitting's all done, it just needs to be blocked and for the squares to be seamed together. Yet... here we are. Hence why I like socks, all you have to do is sew in two loose ends and graft a toe on each one (usually). Scarves, hats, all of those are good for this, too.

To put this in Planet terms, I started that blanket before Yuzu made his junior international debut. :headdesk:

My first knitting project was a small red scarf for my Yuzuru doll. I wanted it to look like the Ghana hot chocolate yuzuru photos. I also made half of a scarf for myself...probably should finish that. It's been over a year now lol. 

I also sew. Mostly Christmas tree skirts, blankets, pillows and fixing my brother's clothes. I would love to be able to make clothes someday. I've never tried. 

Has anyone tried felting with wool little birds or animals? I recently did. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

On 7/18/2020 at 4:21 AM, Glory said:

My first knitting project was a small red scarf for my Yuzuru doll. I wanted it to look like the Ghana hot chocolate yuzuru photos. I also made half of a scarf for myself...probably should finish that. It's been over a year now lol. 

I also sew. Mostly Christmas tree skirts, blankets, pillows and fixing my brother's clothes. I would love to be able to make clothes someday. I've never tried. 

Has anyone tried felting with wool little birds or animals? I recently did. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

So many talents! Projects of all sizes. It takes a lot of patience to achieve all of these. But once it's done, so much pride you must have !

As far as I'm concerned, I sometimes crochet (mainly scarves) and make pearl jewelleries. I learned how to knit in elementary school but I  was never enthusiastic about it.. I have the impression that the work never ends... 

2 hours ago, Marie-E said:

So many talents! Projects of all sizes. It takes a lot of patience to achieve all of these. But once it's done, so much pride you must have !

As far as I'm concerned, I sometimes crochet (mainly scarves) and make pearl jewelleries. I learned how to knit in elementary school but I  was never enthusiastic about it.. I have the impression that the work never ends... 

aww thank you. My favorite thing to sew are the Christmas tree skirts. I love to make them very sparkly! 

I've never tried crochet. Do you think it's more enjoyable than knitting? I did get tired of knitting pretty quickly 😆

And making jewelry sounds like so much fun!