General Yuzuru Chat

Meh, his Helsinki feat is still not enough for some. Had X skater landed this jump, he would have won. Had skater Y gone clean, he would have been champion.

What I find funny with those particular comments, and I've seen plenty of those is that if you reverse the situation, all hell breaks loose. Well he didn't, why are you dissing their win, etc. Now I actually do think it's wrong to say if so and so had only, he would have, so how come it's not applied to Yuzuru? In other words, hypocrites. Applied to some, not others.

They go hand in hand with ISU and how they're willy nilly about applying rules.

Unfortunately, /somehow/ ppl just have a whole new set of standards whenever it's Yuzu, which sometimes works unfairly against him because he is up against a much harsher measuring stick. Yes, they do give him the points when he's at the top of the game, but he has to be /very good/ to get that treatment and not many skaters can maintain tip top condition 24/7, 365 days. And when he is, not down, but just not at the very best, he is penalised, which is fair, but the issue is that other skaters are not treated to the same degree.

My thoughts are exactly the same. It seems sometimes (ahem, always, lately) that there is just one scale to judge his skating and another for the others'.

I'm glad Yuzu can handle such... approach (and win despite everything! what an amazing human being *__*), but I get more nervous every time because you never know what judges decide to see or not to see in Yuzu's and the others' programs.

Yatagarasu said:
What I find funny with those particular comments, and I've seen plenty of those is that if you reverse the situation, all hell breaks loose. Well he didn't, why are you dissing their win, etc. Now I actually do think it's wrong to say if so and so had only, he would have, so how come it's not applied to Yuzuru? In other words, hypocrites. Applied to some, not others.

They go hand in hand with ISU and how they're willy nilly about applying rules.

Remember 2015-2016 when he was ahead by a lot of points? What were people saying? The judges were too generous. The scores are an exaggeration. Like, what the heck do you guys want? Ah, for him to leave the competition altogether? Because that's what it suspiciously sounds like. 

Random: so in creating my Figure Skating Notebook of Doom I noted Yuzu's results through seniors and worked out his season averages.

- through his senior career so far, he's won gold 49% of the time and silver 28% of the time. In the past 3 seasons (2014-15~present) he's won gold 58% of the time, whereas in the first half of his senior career (2010~2014) he won gold 42% of the time, half of which were achieved in the 2013-14 season.

- His season average has been on an upward trend every season except 2014-15 and 16-17 (tho his LP average went up by 0.15 this season, his overall average was down by 5.42. His overall average for 2014-15 was down by 6.95)

- the difference between his average combined score from 2010-11 and 2016-17 is 75.14 (the difference is sp average is 20.17 and lp is 54.98)

- Each season his scores increase by an average of: +3.4 for SP, +9.2 for LP and +12.5 for combined scores (rounded to 1dp)

- His highest season average increases were 2015-16 (when compared with previous season +9.33 sp +18.86 Lp +28.17 combined, if compared to the 2013-14 season it's +5.75 sp +15.75 lp and +21.23 combined) 2011-12 (+19.64 for lp +24.30 combined) and 2012-13 SP (+9.42)

Ah figure skating, the thing that makes me do maths even though I hate maths.

Great stats. The upward trend in scores is not surprising because of all the tech he's added. What would be interesting to see as welll is stats on margin of victory (i.e. indication of dominance in the field). If he won gold, by how many points vs silver and bronze? If he won silver by how many points did he miss out on gold and win over bronze? Any noticeable trends on the margins?

Another interesting stat to see would be increase in average score vs. BV. How much of the increase was from tech and how much from average better execution?

jinabee said:
I just hope Yuzu has come to the realisation that these stupidly high standards FS commentators/writers/fans have for him are...stupid and should be ignored. No other skater is expected to skate perfectly every single time, no other skater is expected to hit new high scores every time they skate. It's bloody rediculous. tbh I think it did feed into the pressure he put on himself this season, I just hope he reached the point mentality where he knows they best he can do is train, try to go into a competition healthy, calm and do what he can. When Brian said 'trust your training', honestly I think that's the best advice. Errors are going to happen, but none of the programs are impossible to perform clean in competition, every part of it is something that has been trained.

Totally agree. Those unrealistic expectations are just ridiculous. He even got so much bashing at ACI - a senior B at the beginning of season when everybody bomb left and right. I read a comment about when judges give GOE for Yuzu, they compare it to his best to lower his mark while with other skaters, they compare them to their worst and boost as much as they can. Can't say I'm not agree with that :nah:

I think Yuzuru know all these things, I mean there's no way he can not know anything. Thats why this WC gold is so important for him. I hope he train smart and healthy. Just recall this time last year make me realize nothing's more important than his health :bow:

Moria Polonius said:
surimi said:
Ok, dumb question but where is the Purple Pants Church talk? It is the same as the invisible convos back on GS, isn't it? Those were hilarious & I miss them, but I can't find anything about it on Planet, just mentions of the Church? Or have I gone blind? 

I believe one needs 25 posts to access that part, it's labeled adult, just to be on the safe side.

Good thinking. And thanks! I need to be more proactive now. :angel3-smiley:

Ok, dumb question but where is the Purple Pants Church talk? It is the same as the invisible convos back on GS, isn't it? Those were hilarious & I miss them, but I can't find anything about it on Planet, just mentions of the Church? Or have I gone blind? :crazy:

I believe one needs 25 posts to access that part, it's labeled adult, just to be on the safe side.

Good thinking. And thanks! I need to be more proactive now. :angel:

Once you fulfill the requirement, you may go to "user control panel --> usergroups --> The Church" to apply for church membership

Arwen said:
the50person said:
Unfortunately, /somehow/ ppl just have a whole new set of standards whenever it's Yuzu, which sometimes works unfairly against him because he is up against a much harsher measuring stick. Yes, they do give him the points when he's at the top of the game, but he has to be /very good/ to get that treatment and not many skaters can maintain tip top condition 24/7, 365 days. And when he is, not down, but just not at the very best, he is penalised, which is fair, but the issue is that other skaters are not treated to the same degree.

My thoughts are exactly the same. It seems sometimes (ahem, always, lately) that there is just one scale to judge his skating and another for the others'.

I'm glad Yuzu can handle such... approach (and win despite everything! what an amazing human being *__*), but I get more nervous every time because you never know what judges decide to see or not to see in Yuzu's and the others' programs.

The good thing is, Yuzuru cannot win with 3 falls (like Patrick at WC 2013), he has to be clean. When people go and watch his winning WC performances on YouTube, they see a clean skate.:goe:

In 10 years or something, people will not care much about who won silver on that day (except it's hardcore fans of that other skater and are still mad)

GoldMedalist said:

The good thing is, Yuzuru cannot win with 3 falls (like Patrick at WC 2013), he has to be clean. When people go and watch his winning WC performances on YouTube, they see a clean skate. :goe:

In 10 years or something, people will not care much about who won silver on that day (except it's hardcore fans of that other skater and are still mad)

Well... aside from Sochi... *tip toes out*

But that's not a WC so you're good.

I have read the comments below the article.

Hanyu's ability to train like he does isn't just his culture - it's him.

Can't agree more.

Little late to this discussion. I also agree that Yuzu's ability to train hard and have discipline is not just a product of Asian (Japanaese) culture---it's intrinsic to him. Having raised two kids in Japan, I can attest to the fact that there are too many different personalities to describe Asians by the "hard-working, never question authority" stereotype :nono: , especially nowadays (and even before). I think it is true that kids may not question authority as much as in some Western countries, but when they are talking with their friends and maybe their parents, there's lots of debating.

Thanks for the tip, cherry.

And

What I find funny with those particular comments, and I've seen plenty of those is that if you reverse the situation, all hell breaks loose. Well he didn't, why are you dissing their win, etc. Now I actually do think it's wrong to say if so and so had only, he would have, so how come it's not applied to Yuzuru? In other words, hypocrites. Applied to some, not others

- I wish there was a 'like' button because this is so true.

p.s. whoever thought of adding 'full editor' to quick reply deserves a :pbow: (sorry, would have picked the flower emoticon, but smileys are not opening up for me at the moment) because practically every time I think a quick reply would do, I end up needing smileys. ^ ^

xeyra said:
GoldMedalist said:

The good thing is, Yuzuru cannot win with 3 falls (like Patrick at WC 2013), he has to be clean. When people go and watch his winning WC performances on YouTube, they see a clean skate. :goe:

In 10 years or something, people will not care much about who won silver on that day (except it's hardcore fans of that other skater and are still mad :roll: ) :s_dunno

Well... aside from Sochi... *tip toes out*

But that's not a WC so you're good.

Technically, he only had one fall at Sochi. It wasn't a mess like Patrick's 2013 WC :cool2:

Ladysci said:
I have read the comments below the article.
starrynight said:
Hanyu's ability to train like he does isn't just his culture - it's him.

Can't agree more.

Little late to this discussion. I also agree that Yuzu's ability to train hard and have discipline is not just a product of Asian (Japanaese) culture---it's intrinsic to him. Having raised two kids in Japan, I can attest to the fact that there are too many different personalities to describe Asians by the "hard-working, never question authority" stereotype :nono: , especially nowadays (and even before). I think it is true that kids may not question authority as much as in some Western countries, but when they are talking with their friends and maybe their parents, there's lots of debating.

His attitude towards skating and training is a combination of discipline, love, obsession and ambition. :bow: 

Amazing ava btw!!! :goe::POOH::POOH::POOH: