General Yuzuru Chat

unicorn said:

Right? His zero prerotation flip is kind of hilarious, look at how he uses his picking foot (right foot) and how the blade is actually pointing outwards. It's the opposite of prerotation (picking inwards and then spinning on the ground towards the direction of rotation, meaning less air rotation), he actually makes the Flip harder in order to get the correct edge. :rofl2: The quickness of his entry (right out of choreography and really quick during his 3 turns) definitely helps to keep him from rocking to the outside.

Here's an example of one of Yuzuru's worst "Lip"s (he got called e) at 4CC 2011, look at how obviously his left leg bends and goes onto the outside edge. Go into settings and watch at 0.25x speed:

I'm glad he got called on it for years and improved that edge.

They way he + his team managed to fix his flip is really genious, tbh 

And I agree about being happy he got called on it. Judges calling things right is the first step for any skater to improve on one of their weakness, imo. If you get a pass on your weak points, you have 0 incentive to actually work on them. If judges tell you there's something to work on, you have all incentives to do so. If judges didn't call his lip a lip back in the day, we wouldn't have his flip today :)

Guest turquoiseblue
meoima said:
turquoiseblue said:

Do you know any other videos with her about other jumps? I would love to see more.

No, they only have that Lutz. Polina has same issue with other strong Lutzers, is that her Flip is weaker. Still good quality but not perfect Flip. Kind of sad to see what is happening to Polina. She is such a talent. But her body... I don't know if she can ever make it to Worlds or Olympic if her body is like that. :cry: 

That's a pity... but I'm glad they made that excellent Lutz video :love: 

I'm heartbroken about her situation and really hope she gets better and fulfills her dreams.

beki said:
I feel like if we keep saying "Yuzuru will never do a 4F," it will only make him determined to try ;)

:D which will come first, winning SC/4CC or 4F?

I think 4F is still a long, long time coming. He'd do it only for the sake of having a complete quad collection :rofl:

liha said:

Wasn't there reports that he tried it along with the 4Lz attempts at WTT?

Yeah but they said he didnt land it, and we dont even have a video evidence that it was indeed a 4F :)

This is completly off topic, but a few days ago I was showing some of Yuzuru's programs to a friend (who knows nothing about figure skating but was interested anyway) and one of the first I made him watch was the Boston Requiem, and at one point during a spin he said to me (without daring to let his eyes leave the screen) "Wow... It looks like the music is coming out of him" And he asked me to show him more :space:

And his words rang so true that I felt compelled to share :love:

Awww.... your friend's statement reminds me of that japanese talk show panel where they were discussing everything about yuzu and Kenji Miyamoto had this to say about his gpf 2015 Chopin performance "This season, it does not look like he moves his arms to the music but the music is produced by his arm movements. It is done like that."

You can read the whole translation here: https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/139053231562/

swanbeau said:
beki said:
I feel like if we keep saying "Yuzuru will never do a 4F," it will only make him determined to try ;)

:D which will come first, winning SC/4CC or 4F?

I think 4F is still a long, long time coming. He'd do it only for the sake of having a complete quad collection :rofl:

liha said:

Yeah but they said he didnt land it, and we dont even have a video evidence that it was indeed a 4F :)

We only talked about trying! Back when there were reports I didn't believe any of it, including the 4Lz bits, but now that we actually saw the 4Lz....

meoima said:
liha said:
beki said:

I highly doubt that those reporters at WTT actually can tell the different of Flip and Lutz entry though.

now that you say it :rofl:

swanbeau said:
beki said:

:grin: which will come first, winning SC/4CC or 4F?

My first thought at that qustion was: Why not win SC/4CC with 4F?! Crazy, I know

randomanon said:

-> looks like 4 rotations therefore "quad"

ETA : I think most quads will have some degree of prerotation though...

It's not just a matter of quads vs triples, tho.

Toe and Salchow are jumps where your hips are "open" to rotation at take off, as such it's just the movement you are doing that "cause" some rotation on ice before the actual take off.

When you do Loop, Flip and Lutz your hips are "closed" to rotation, but: with loop some degree of pre-rotation is again natural since it's an edge jump (so you don't have a "snap" picking up moment). Flip is not counter-rotated like lutz so it's normal if you have a tiny bit of prerotation more.

It's not by chance, imo, that ISU speaks about "cheated jump" when the prerotation goes to 180° and over, because a bit of PR is considered normal and just in the way you are supposed to take off. The only jump where you should have next to nothing PR is lutz, since pre-rotating it would mean doing everything but a lutz ;)

Hydro's mental theater

First GP Event.

"GUYS THE PLANNED LAYOUTS ARE OUT! :sadPooh:  " one poster says in all caps.

"Why the sad Pooh? :pbow: " Asks another, the image suddenly unavailable.

"IS THAT A 4A" posts another person, who managed to open the image

"I SEE NO 4Lz ANYWHERE WHAT IS HAPPENING"

After the FP:

Protocol shows: 4A with 1.35 GOE

-> looks like 4 rotations therefore "quad"

ETA : I think most quads will have some degree of prerotation though...

It's not just a matter of quads vs triples, tho.

Toe and Salchow are jumps where your hips are "open" to rotation at take off, as such it's just the movement you are doing that "cause" some rotation on ice before the actual take off.

When you do Loop, Flip and Lutz your hips are "closed" to rotation, but: with loop some degree of pre-rotation is again natural since it's an edge jump (so you don't have a "snap" picking up moment). Flip is not counter-rotated like lutz so it's normal if you have a tiny bit of prerotation more.

It's not by chance, imo, that ISU speaks about "cheated jump" when the prerotation goes to 180° and over, because a bit of PR is considered normal and just in the way you are supposed to take off. The only jump where you should have next to nothing PR is lutz, since pre-rotating it would mean doing everything but a lutz :wink:

sorry, i should edit my post to say most jumps have PR instead of quads

The thing about when prerotations >180 is that the skater probably does it too fast for it to be picked by up eye and they can't slow-mo it so what's the point....

Hydroblade said:
Hydro's mental theater

First GP Event.

"GUYS THE PLANNED LAYOUTS ARE OUT! :sadPooh: " one poster says in all caps.

"Why the sad Pooh? :pbow: " Asks another, the image suddenly unavailable.

"IS THAT A 4A" posts another person, who managed to open the image

"I SEE NO 4Lz ANYWHERE WHAT IS HAPPENING"

After the FP:

Protocol shows: 4A with 1.35 GOE

I really like your mental theater :goe: