General Yuzuru Chat

44 minutes ago, Muffinator said:

@SummerMemories If Yuzu wants to be free of the ISU, then he isn't likely to ever want to be a coach, either.

I agree. As a coach, he would definitely teach his philosophy of skating to his students. But as we all know, this kind of skating isn't valued anymore by those who are in power. As a result, Yuzu would have to suffer through his students getting the same treatment as him. He would very likely not do this to himself.

In fact, I don't think Yuzu will do anything that is even remotely affiliated with the ISU and their cronies. (Unless they change their ways and get reformed. But I'm afraid that's rather unlikely.)

On 7/19/2022 at 2:49 AM, Whoopiewoop said:

True, but that's a wake up call for them to change things. They have been relying too much on the money Yuzu brought in and only focused on promoting their favourite ones. They need better marketing and PR, and that is on them.

Now this is what worries me a bit on the other hand. Little funding means less support for the skaters and I don't want to see them struggling more than they already are. 

Maybe I$U needs to allocate more money to figureskating and less to speedskating, which does not even charge admission.  I am bitter, I$U and J$U, mentally and psychologically abused the GOAT of figureskating...for someone as sensitive and competitive as Yuzu, it must have been exquisite torment, to have a skewed playing field with changing goal posts only for him.

2 hours ago, Perelandra said:

I can see Yuzu participating in summer games, archery or trap shooting

Upon discovering the translations of the interviews, please don't ever let Yuzu be subjected to this kind of mental cruelty again.

If Yuzu decides he wants to compete in FS in the future.

By all means. but only after a full investigation and overhaul of the IJS, with strong safeguards to ensure that bias in judging is eliminated through the use of a high definition multi-angle camera system and a AI movement analysis with an instant review and appeal system, for GOE, like gymnastics and a transparent judging and refereeing process. The ISU should be trialled, having to demonstrate strict adherence to a pre-agreed code of practice, good governance and external audit for all competitions and competition results, having to report and be submitted subject to regular review by a wider international sports governing body or ombudsman. 

I would have suspected as an MD (you had to go to a psychiatrist during your course) that you felt in the words of the signs, I would rather say : moral harassment which is terrible (mental cruelty is a floor above  :cursing: ) and as a fanyu wrote it, he described his suffering well in reason and the title "real face" too and all this is the "mediocrity" of the human being  :yucky: and that YES Yuzu spends a pleasant summer in activities that he couldn't do :peekapooh:before

7 hours ago, Terra_degli_angeli said:

So basically what he tries to say is as soon as his marks (especially the component score) started to level off with the rest oа field, he started to feel unwanted ?

I don't think he meant levelling off with the rest of the field but the way his scores got lower despite him getting better. Of course, this is just on the surface. I do believe there were factors behind the scene that led him to think this way as well.

PS: interesting he did not flat out state how wacked certain skaters' scores compared to what they put out on the ice. I'd be damned if that did not affect him.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:00 AM, Faithyu said:

Simple answer: Yes!

Don't even have to think about it, because I want to keep art in figure skating and still hope we will get fair judging one day and maybe, just maybe your campaign can help a little bit, who knows. And to be honest, I think the campaign will be more effectiv with Yuzu no longer active. It shows that it's not about a single person, but the sport itself.

So if I can agree with what will be written in the letter, yes, I will send it.

But if you decide you don't want to do it anymore, of course we will respect your decision. It's your time and effort. I would be just one of hopefully many that will hit print and take it to the next mailbox.

I might be jumping late into this but I think the time is ripe for the letter. Of course, we have seen how the unfairness has affected Yuzu, but this goes way beyond him. ISU (and the feds) need to be made accountable. If Yuzu went through this, others might as well though they cannot say anything because they don't have the fan base and sponsorship support to be able to voice the mistreatment. Imagine those skaters who want to continue involved in competitive figure skating as coaches or choreographers. They have to stay quiet.

I also agree that Yuzu won’t come back. Something I picked up all these years is that Yuzu doesn’t do things in halves. He mentioned thoughts of stepping down after every competition post PC. Cumulative experience has led him to this decision. I think Beijing, his recent injury and the latest rules finally made up his mind.

It hasn’t been a week since his switch to a pro athlete so it’s also too early to tell and you can never say never with Yuzu but definitely think he’s done with that life now. And I think once we get all the translations of the interviews and the presscon as a whole, we’ll really get an idea of what he’s trying to convey.

Also got me thinking, there were accounts from Beijing staff of his mum crying watching his practice, I wonder if she knew then too that it would be the last time she’d accompany Yuzu to a comp. 

Something I’ve been entertaining in my head for a while is the possibility of Yuzu bringing back Pro Comps, it’s been mentioned before but it’s exciting to think about.

8 hours ago, MsWinnie said:

Hi everyone, I have been watching this forum for quite some time. Two days ago I think I should join as a member and I am ready to do so. That’s why I am here now. :coolio: I really enjoyed the resources that you guys shared, especially the translation. Thank you!

After watching that interview a few days ago, I really want to give a few words to Hanyu (in my amended lyrics from Jay Chou’s song :roll:)

世代的狂 冰上的王 
我想我不需要画框
它框不住 冰刀的速度 
我的旋转 全部是未来艺术

Hanyu does not need “frame” anymore. I am so happy that he may finally have the bandwidth to do whatever he wants, and his arts :heart:

welcome!:tumblr_inline_mm2wnxgTbV1qz4rgp:

and absolutely, his skating is bigger than any evaluation ISU could give him. Subjecting himself to the whims of people who can't or don't want to tell skills apart properly had become pointless. What he loved of comps was honestly facing other people, strenght against strenght, and may the best win. But when the game is rigged fom the start, when one has to run 100m and the other only 50...what's the point? that's not even a real competition anymore, it's just a show and you are just a puppet in it, entirely in the hands of others.

7 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

I have always wondered why I never heard about any trouble of Yuzuru's skating boots.
Some time ago, I was very surprised to read in a skating magazine that a person from the maker of the boots Yuzuru uses said that his boots hardly get scratched. The person who is taking care of his blades said something similar in another magazine.  It's just a miracle how cleanly skating can make such a thing possible :shocked:

It's so mindblowing!

Even admitting he partially protects them with boot covers, and that he trains on ice a lot less than some other people (tho we have no idea how much he trained in Sendai), even admitting he drilled slightly less quads than (a few) others (after all, the skaters with 4 types of quads or more are still a handful), he has been drilling friggin 4As and 4-quads runthrough on those boots (and taking quite a number of hard falls:smiley-scared003:)

The longevity of his boots is very impressive (and hopefully meaning that his joints&back have been kept in good enough health too:smiley-angelic001:)

6 hours ago, Terra_degli_angeli said:

So basically what he tries to say is as soon as his marks (especially the component score) started to level off with the rest oа field, he started to feel unwanted ?

welcome to you too!

Spoiler

it's not about simple levelling off, you would have never seen Yuzuru feeling slighted for getting same SS as Patrick Chan, or for a well landed lutz of his getting comparable goe with MishaK's or Boyang's, or Jason's spins being scored as well as his.

It's about knowing what he does, the level of difficulty, seeing what others do, and then looking at the scores and seeing that things just do not add up.

One who knows the sport can tell when there's a difference in skill because, while taste and bias are a thing, some things are still objective. Yuzuru has always been a student of the sport, able to grasp at other strenght's and analyze them and himself with a clear head. He was never a Patrick (sorry Pchiddy!), oblivious of what happened around him. He was always up to date to what everyone else did. Always searched answers on how to improve in scoresheets. And things like WC21 SP told him squarely "what you do is pointless, you can try to fullfill the rules however much you want, and succed, but I'm not judging what I see anyway"

Add his fed representatives talking about replacing him, everyone suddenly sayng "but after all he's not that special. After all, his 3A/4S/SS/whatever isn't that good...Jason/Yuma should get higher SS! (but god forbid if one dare point out the actual insanity was NC getting mor ethan all of them...these weren't even nobodies on twitter, but former skaters)

And in at least an instance journos have even framed people's puzzled :confused: reaction when his (too low) scores came up as them being disappointed in him (NHK19, I think it was the FS)  :banginghead:

Plus, the kind of skating promoted as ideal had become very different from his -- and from what was expected in theory --. And every rule change in the past years stripped it more and more of what it had always represented for him. So it may have felt that they were saying his very vision of FS was outdated, and not needed anymore

6 hours ago, Mor2904 said:

Well, this has been painfully obvious with Russian girls… with the applause of ISU, many journalists, and many coaches. 
It’s disgusting. 

the simple fact that they barely ever criticized that system before Beijing mess, and happily celebrated the Best coach, IMO tells everything about the prevalent views in the FS community. It's such a rotten environment and there are two chances: you stay and conform, or you run away. Heck, even the way judges are picked is such that judges are actively encouraged to please higher ups, rather than following their own conscience

6 hours ago, Faithyu said:

Guys, I can't keep up🙈.

Do we have a Yuzu "next chaper" archive or thread in the forum where all the interviews and videos are safed so one can easily find it later?

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Ooh would you be able to throw them in a Google drive? I can make a section in the video section. What should it be called? Announcement of pro career or Next Chapter?

4 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

May I suggest we just make a general video category under 2022 Ice Shows called 2022 Media Appearances (or sth similar) and we put everything we get in the future in there as well? :D People are now using "Others" category and just dumping everything there...

EDIT: I saved most of today's stuff on our streamable but we just need a permission from the original streamer to publish them! If we don't get it, Xiupia's help would be very welcome indeed 🙏

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Done! Would a thread be helpful too? To compile tweets and stuff. But I feel like people prefer to post in the general chat?

Would it be possible to have a thread only compiling the news from this week? Even just as a copy-paste of the related section in the News&Updates thread.

When we had Media Day, there was a dedicated thread where people coul go and read the discussion.

Now we have the media compilations, yes, but still, if in the future someone wants to go and relieve this fundamental week, it would be easier if there was at least one dedicated thread where to start, even just containing links

Also, IMO we could actually have a dedicated video subsection too, withing the "2022 media", called something like "an announcement of resolution" or how Yuzuru actually called his presscon (yeah I forgot, I'm a bad fanyu:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:)

It could collect media just starting from the big announcement on July18 to maybe this sunday 24th. I expect the flow to dwindle now, and at that point the "announcement" part of his new career will be finished, and the actual new career will be starting, and vids of his future activities as pro-athlete can be merely added to the 2022media section

IMO the significance of this week deserves a dedicated subsection, just like e.g. Olys and other big comps have theirs

2 hours ago, liv said:

I've been away from the board a few days, and I see there are some interviews etc., that I haven't had time to read.... but does anyone get any impression hat he's not totally, absolutely,  done competing? I mean, he's resolute now in becoming professional, but his insistence on not retiring and only improving makes me wonder a tiny bit if in his mind there's a tiny Crack in that now closed door. Makes me wonder if, after a time of mental and physical healing (I'm not sure that ankle has ever really healed), and after seeing what the amateur skating field looks like (and how the judging and scoring is going, big factor there), he might try his luck again. Obviously, he's done it all and he's looking forward to his future, but some great athletes exit and return,  across many sports, so I was just pondering out loud. 

Never say never, because he still has the official comeback options afaik, and he's proved to be "unpredictable" (at least to some of us😅), but the things he's been spilling, while still honestly moderated and not calling names, must be burning some bridges with the ISU establishment/judges.

At some point they may be desperate enough to forget the shade he's been casually throwing these past few days and be ready to welcome him back with open arms....but tbh the only Zu&ISUreunion I can wish for right now is Yuzuru actually making them develop a sound AI-based scoring. Building a better competitive environment for skating overall may feel worth working for them again

14 minutes ago, EisElle said:

Would it be possible to have a thread only compiling the news from this week? Even just as a copy-paste of the related section in the News&Updates thread.

Also, IMO we could actually have a dedicated video subsection too, withing the "2022 media", called something like "an announcement of resolution" or how Yuzuru actually called his presscon (yeah I forgot, I'm a bad fanyu:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:)

First part- GREAT idea-The whole week in one place including translations, twitters etc

Second part- There is a folder for the video/prescons etc already 

From what I have read and watched so far from the translated interviews (both English and Chinese). It’s extremely unlikely he will return to competition.

Please do support him for the next stage of his career. This is a happy moment and truly, I love that he’s putting himself first. congratulations, yuzu, on turning pro.

5 minutes ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I totally agree, especially after what he said in those interviews. He must understand that whoever he coaches will go through the same treatment as he did.

a coach will also need to play by ISU rules with politicking. I don’t see him doing that and my heart want him to be as far away from ISU as possible. They don’t deserve him even spending 1 second on them.