General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, kaerb said:

Thanks for sharing an interesting read, on one of my bucket list topics for photography since I discovered Yuzu :laughing: I'm impressed by how sharp some of her photos are, especially since I remember her saying she used manual focus, which is understandable for skating since autofocus would probably freak out trying to capture a moving subject. For reference, her 70-200mm lens is a beast and definitely not something I would ever carry around casually, so props to her dedication. If I ever get a chance to go to a skating event live, I'm going to have to live with what my 105mm can capture (I managed to photograph Federer at the Aus Open with it, so I'm happy I ticked off one sports photography bucket list item).  

Sorry, but how do you manual focus on a moving object?? :O:O

6 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

constant adjustment of the focusing ring and practice i imagine XD

I have the 70-200 f2.8 but I don;t manual focus on moving objects because .... hahaha no, my camera AF is shitty (I have a 70D) but it holds up okay so long as i'm around f3.5, below that the af just totally goes to shit.

I'm going to upgrade my camera to the 5d mark 4 before pyeongchang tho so I should be able to get some nice photos. Though I am considering renting another lens (maybe a 300mm or 400mm. my 70-200 was still real far out at 4cc. i have A seats for SP but B and C for lp and gala so a zoomier lens might be better...) I don't have many photos of yuzu cuz i only went to 4cc and didn't really take photos there but i have a lot of photo of idols here

Just now, CupidsBow said:

constant adjustment of the focusing ring and practice i imagine XD

I have the 70-200 f2.8 but I don;t manual focus on moving objects because .... hahaha no, my camera AF is shitty (I have a 70D) but it holds up okay so long as i'm around f3.5, below that the af just totally goes to shit.

I'm going to upgrade my camera to the 5d mark 4 before pyeongchang tho so I should be able to get some nice photos. Though I am considering renting another lens (maybe a 300mm or 400mm. my 70-200 was still real far out at 4cc. i have A seats for SP but B and C for lp and gala so a zoomier lens might be better...) I don't have many photos of yuzu cuz i only went to 4cc and didn't really take photos there but i have a lot of photo of idols here

Actually one of your photos of yuzu is one of my favorite photos ever! 

16797698_10210384204895976_6523630837549

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Actually one of your photos of yuzu is one of my favorite photos ever! 

16797698_10210384204895976_6523630837549

ahhhh yes that is mine! I'm hoping my B seats for the FS are a bit closer than the ones I had for 4CC so I don't need to lug around another lens XD

I'm fond of this one even though the focus is a bit >> soft

tumblr_olnz3rSbpa1vckx7qo2_1280.jpg

I'm really looking forward to trying to photograph his again with a better camera body XD

1 minute ago, CupidsBow said:

ahhhh yes that is mine! I'm hoping my B seats for the FS are a bit closer than the ones I had for 4CC so I don't need to lug around another lens XD

I'm fond of this one even though the focus is a bit >> soft

tumblr_olnz3rSbpa1vckx7qo2_1280.jpg

I'm really looking forward to trying to photograph his again with a better camera body XD

I'm surprised you could photograph at all, I know if I were watching Yuzu I wouldn't risk the millisecond it takes for me to move my eye to the lens -- I might miss something!! LOL. Or I just wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of him.

Anyway, manual focus for sports photography sounds so hard. Maybe I mostly work with portrait lenses (like >50mm) but focusing takes minutes and sometimes is still slightly off haha.

8 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I'm surprised you could photograph at all, I know if I were watching Yuzu I wouldn't risk the millisecond it takes for me to move my eye to the lens -- I might miss something!! LOL. Or I just wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of him.

Anyway, manual focus for sports photography sounds so hard. Maybe I mostly work with portrait lenses (like >50mm) but focusing takes minutes and sometimes is still slightly off haha.

I only took photos of the warm up for that reason XD there was no way I could take photos of his actual performance. We'll see how I feel at Pyeongchang but I'll probably be scared of the sound of my shutter bothering him or something XD

I used to just work in macro, often extreme macro where manual is the only way, but I rely on my AF a lot when I'm doing sport or street or idols. I'm very much in the school of 'whack it on al servo, make sure all your other setting are good, press your finger down on high speed continuous shooting and hope for the best' when it comes to sport photography XD

Just now, CupidsBow said:

'whack it on al servo, make sure all your other setting are good, press your finger down on high speed continuous shooting and hope for the best' when it comes to sport photography XD

Hey! That's me when it comes to any photography!! :laughing: That and "Well there's always photoshop to completely recreate the scene from 5 different photos, each where only one thing is correctly focused" haha (I rely on photoshop too much perhaps).

Just now, yuzuangel said:

Hey! That's me when it comes to any photography!! :laughing: That and "Well there's always photoshop to completely recreate the scene from 5 different photos, each where only one thing is correctly focused" haha (I rely on photoshop too much perhaps).

Hey, If you can get the shutter speed, aperture, iso and colour balance right and have a decent try to with framing...... :laughing:

Photography can be tricky

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Adjusting and praying. But at least on MF, your camera doesn't lock the shutter if AF freaks out (I've missed a perfect shot when I was actually focused but AF thought it was destined to focus on the background...never again lol).

@CupidsBow, your photos are great! Do figure skating venue allow you to bring larger telephoto lenses? I know the tennis actually checked your bags and banned lenses that were 200mm+