General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, citrusjunos said:

Nam puts down Pyeongchang Seimei for most memorable program, and Yuzu and Javi as athletes he admires :softYuzu: One of the comments says that Kolyada also put down Yuzu and Javi. Love to see these two receive so much respect from actively competing skaters.

Just as an aside, Nam not long ago was live on Instagram with Roman. They were in their hotel in some room, bored out of their brains and doodling on a whiteboard. Seemed they were desperate for conversation as there is nothing to do in the hotel. They both looked healthy (apart from Nams's attrocious dry hair) and in good spirits and their jokes are really woeful. 

45 minutes ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Just as an aside, Nam not long ago was live on Instagram with Roman. They were in their hotel in some room, bored out of their brains and doodling on a whiteboard. Seemed they were desperate for conversation as there is nothing to do in the hotel. They both looked healthy (apart from Nams's attrocious dry hair) and in good spirits and their jokes are really woeful. 

Speaking of Nam and Romsky, your comment reminded me of them talking about how scary it is to skate after Yuzu :laughing: This was from a couple months ago, so many of you may have seen it already:

(EDIT: I pasted the clip as a link instead of embedding, because it kept autoplaying.)

Just our Overlord casually capturing our souls after that magnificent 4T-3T :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

Spoiler

If they must hold WTT can't they do it without an audience??? Today records more than 1000 new Covid cases in Osaka!!! Seriously this is criminal negligence in my layman's eyes!! :tumblr_inline_mzx90enaUF1r8msi5:

Edit2: Max dropping TRUTH bomb!!!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
1 hour ago, amylance1215 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If they must hold WTT can't they do it without an audience??? Today records more than 1000 new Covid cases in Osaka!!! Seriously this is criminal negligence in my layman's eyes!! :tumblr_inline_mzx90enaUF1r8msi5:

Spoiler

God, this competition almost makes Worlds seem responsible and secure in comparison. Higher infection rates, audience present, apparently the russian team hasn't quarantined... And on top of that this event is completely meaningless, no Olympic spots on the line. I really, truly don't understand why it is being held. 

4 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Hide contents

God, this competition almost makes Worlds seem responsible and secure in comparison. Higher infection rates, audience present, apparently the russian team hasn't quarantined... And on top of that this event is completely meaningless, no Olympic spots on the line. I really, truly don't understand why it is being held. 

Foreign skaters are not required to quarantine, so all of them, not just Russian skaters :( 

IMO, WTT has two meanings: 1) Money, for the skaters (but really, for the feds, broadcasting companies and also talent agencies cough*IMG*cough), and 2) Scores, it's the right time to boost whoever they want to boost and drive whatever narrative they want to drive even further. Taking all these together, COVID doesn't exist at all -.-

28 minutes ago, Melodie said:

Foreign skaters are not required to quarantine, so all of them, not just Russian skaters :( 

IMO, WTT has two meanings: 1) Money, for the skaters (but really, for the feds, broadcasting companies and also talent agencies cough*IMG*cough), and 2) Scores, it's the right time to boost whoever they want to boost and drive whatever narrative they want to drive even further. Taking all these together, COVID doesn't exist at all -.-

I think you're probably right. 

The organisation still seems abysmal though. It's possibly naive of me, but I would have thought you could still at least hold the event without an audience and require quarantine beforehand. You know, basic, bare minimum things even Worlds implemented. 

But maybe that also comes down to money; the ISU may not want to pay the deficit for this event like they did for the Swedish federation with Worlds. 

9 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I can’t help wondering whether the problem is his perfectionist idea of landing the jump properly.  I’m not suggesting he’s waiting until he can do the back counter in and high kick on the way out but he’s not going to be happy if he’s taking three quarters of the rink run up and he’s definitely going to want a proper landing with good extension coming out of it.

I hope that when he says he's not landing it, it doesn't mean that he's falling all the time. Maybe he pops a lot, or steps out, or turns out, or hand-down, or low-knee save... stuff like that which I think he would consider "not landing it".

12 hours ago, Neenah said:

I think I do understand why he is more focused on the 4A and not winning a 3rd Olympics. Yuzu is in a place in his athletic career were he challenged the world twice and won. Now, he is challenging himself and and his limits, which is much more difficult and rewarding.

This is why I respect him so much and hold him as a role model even though he is younger than me. He is not afraid of challenging anything or stepping out of his comfort zone.

I think it makes more sense for him to focus on 4A rather than a 3rd OGM. He has full control over 4A. Whether or not he can do it depends solely on him. Whether or not he can win competitions or Olympic Gold is not fully in his control. The judges decide and we know how they score these days. He knows this also.

In addition, Yuzu likes to be the first to do things, or be the only one who can do it. 4A falls into this category. Even if he wins a 3rd OGM, he will not be the first one to do that, so it's not as big of an achievement as being the 1st one to land 4A. Plus 4A is his childhood dream.

I'd rather he train 4A under the watchful eyes of a coach rather than by himself though. I think it's safer and Ghislain can watch how he's jumping and give him advice. Also he knows when to tell him to stop and get some rest and try again the next day.

Whether he decides to return to Canada or he decides to stay in Japan, I hope he can train 4A safely and realize his dream. 

4 hours ago, CaroSkate said:

As a non-athletic adult beginner, I've been struggling with single Axel for a few months. Axel seems like a totally different beast than other singles. I landed a single (f)lutz on the first few trials and have all my other singles stable, but Axel still seems so far away and out of reach for me. 

I usually spend 1/3 to half of my time just throwing myself into it, probably have dozens of attempts every training day, but all of them are eithing falls or underrotated to downgraded. It feels that I am getting better at it gradually but it is still so far. And I sometimes wonder if I can ever land it.

Following Yuzu's journey to 4A is a huge motivation to my 1A.

Hi @CaroSkate, nice to meet a fellow figure skater here! I have been a recreational skater since childhood (not by choice, I wanted to be part of a club, train regularly and compete but my family didn't allow it :sadPooh:). I learnt the single Axel in my late teens with my adult height (1m80!) and no regular on-ice practice, just skating on some public sessions whenever I could and having a few scattered private lessons per winter; as you can imagine, it was a real struggle for me as well. Some other skaters' parents at the rink were being naysayers and telling me it's not worth it to try, I would never land it at this age and in these conditions (at a completely different scale, this mindset reminds me of the people who don't believe in Yuzu's 4A). I am happy to say that I proved them wrong! :happy0158: You are definitely right about the Axel being a different beast from the other single jumps: landing it took a lot of patience, quite a bit of off-ice practice (let me know if you'd like tips about that, it really helps!), and many, many unsuccessful attempts every time I had the chance to be on ice, but it finally worked out.

In relation to another poster's comment earlier, this also leads me to think that Yuzu needing over 1000 4A attempts is not actually as outlandish as it seems: my coach kept telling skaters that they would go through several hundreds of attempts to get a decent 1A, and that's just a single! With the sheer difficulty of the 4A, I am not so surprised to hear that it is not ready yet after 1000 attempts, although I agree that it is slightly terrifying to think about Yuzu throwing himself into this monster of a jump so many times without landing properly. If my skaters' perspective can reassure anyone here, I'll just say, however, that most of my unsuccessful 1A attempts didn't end in a fall: I actually had many more two-footed landings, hands down, stepouts, URs etc than falls. 1A and 4A are hardly comparable, obviously, but we shouldn't assume that all of Yuzu's 1000 attempts ended in dramatic, GPF19-style falls (especially knowing how much of a perfectionsit he is and what his criteria for a "proper landing" are!)

Anyway, this was a long digression haha. Good luck with your Axel @CaroSkate , I believe you can land it, especially with Yuzu as a motivation! :ganba:

16 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

I think you're probably right. 

The organisation still seems abysmal though. It's possibly naive of me, but I would have thought you could still at least hold the event without an audience and require quarantine beforehand. You know, basic, bare minimum things even Worlds implementes. 

But maybe that also comes down to money; the ISU may not want to pay the deficit for this event like they did for the Swedish federation with Worlds. 

Ugh. It's even worst than that. They are selling tickets for people to go watch in the theaters too. It's like they don't care about human life at all.

8 minutes ago, amylance1215 said:

It's time we make a health circle prayer for Yuzu, and all skaters and participants, so they can get out of this cursed event unscathed :fingerscrossed::smiley-angelic001:

Yes, and hopefully no community spread either. :snonegai:

7 minutes ago, Alpha_orionis said:

Hi @CaroSkate, nice to meet a fellow figure skater here! I have been a recreational skater since childhood (not by choice, I wanted to be part of a club, train regularly and compete but my family didn't allow it :sadPooh:). I learnt the single Axel in my late teens with my adult height (1m80!) and no regular on-ice practice, just skating on some public sessions whenever I could and having a few scattered private lessons per winter; as you can imagine, it was a real struggle for me as well. Some other skaters' parents at the rink were being naysayers and telling me it's not worth it to try, I would never land it at this age and in these conditions (at a completely different scale, this mindset reminds me of the people who don't believe in Yuzu's 4A). I am happy to say that I proved them wrong! :happy0158: You are definitely right about the Axel being a different beast from the other single jumps: landing it took a lot of patience, quite a bit of off-ice practice (let me know if you'd like tips about that, it really helps!), and many, many unsuccessful attempts every time I had the chance to be on ice, but it finally worked out.

In relation to another poster's comment earlier, this also leads me to think that Yuzu needing over 1000 4A attempts is not actually as outlandish as it seems: my coach kept telling skaters that they would go through several hundreds of attempts to get a decent 1A, and that's just a single! With the sheer difficulty of the 4A, I am not so surprised to hear that it is not ready yet after 1000 attempts, although I agree that it is slightly terrifying to think about Yuzu throwing himself into this monster of a jump so many times without landing properly. If my skaters' perspective can reassure anyone here, I'll just say, however, that most of my unsuccessful 1A attempts didn't end in a fall: I actually had many more two-footed landings, hands down, stepouts, URs etc than falls. 1A and 4A are hardly comparable, obviously, but we shouldn't assume that all of Yuzu's 1000 attempts ended in dramatic, GPF19-style falls (especially knowing how much of a perfectionsit he is and what his criteria for a "proper landing" are!)

Anyway, this was a long digression haha. Good luck with your Axel @CaroSkate , I believe you can land it, especially with Yuzu as a motivation! :ganba:

There are actually quite a few skaters here. Check out this thread. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: