General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's because the info is only on the 'Volunteer Opportunities' page of the Skate Canada site so far (they're looking for volunteers for next year).  So it may or may not be official yet. 

Be nice if SC could get that competition away from the suburban wastelands of west Toronto and back to somewhere hotels are within walking distance of the rink. 

It may not be official, but the information is reliable. My source is a senior manager at Skate Canada. It will be held September 17-19, 2020.

Ghislain Briand told me last year when I was speaking to him at ACI that this event would not be held in Oakville again because they are always two-year contracts. So I was surprised when I was told that it would be held in Oakville again.

Yes, me too, @Geo1. I was looking forward to it being somewhere else. 

On other topics, take a look at this video of wee mushroom Yuzu doing The Firebird and tell me if that opening position and choreo doesn't seem awfully familiar:

When Yuzu said last year that he was going back to his origins in skating, I didn't think he meant it literally, but there it is. :surprised_pikachu:

19 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

On other topics, take a look at this video of wee mushroom Yuzu doing The Firebird and tell me if that opening position and choreo doesn't seem awfully familiar:

When Yuzu said last year that he was going back to his origins in skating, I didn't think he meant it literally, but there it is. :surprised_pikachu:

I knew what you were talking about before I started the video. I remember him starting Firebird in the crouched position.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Be nice if SC could get that competition away from the suburban wastelands of west Toronto and back to somewhere hotels are within walking distance of the rink. 

But see, this is precisely why I love it. The traffic is just regular traffic (although just a few years ago the main road was basically country, and now, my gosh, it's totally turned into suburbia!!) there's tons of parking.. I don't have to fight for said parking, there's nature behind the arena so it's relaxing... I don't have to PAY for parking... I don't have to PAY for parking...

Driving around the GTA is a big pain in the butt, but Oakville is easily navigated, and buffered by the escarpment so you aren't totally surrounded and you can get out of the city fast.

They have a 2 year contract... hmmm, the Oakville organizers might be smart... if they have it another 2 years, with it being so close to T.O.. and Yuzu maybe staying until then... big bucks for them again in September if he continues to participate.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

To think that 13 years ago he showed more grace and artistry than those who are considered among the best as senior level skaters now.  So amazing.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

ACI will be held September 17-19, 2020.

Wow - and now I have to decide to go to this or go to Massachusetts for a family reunion and the 400th anniversary of the Pilgrims landing (We are direct descendants of Mayflower survivors, as are, I imagine, many tens of thousands....).  Guess where I'd rather be?  And I actually like the built in reason to not go to Plymouth.  Such priorities.  I'd rather been in Oakville, if Yuzu is.

17 minutes ago, barbara said:

To think that 13 years ago he showed more grace and artistry than those who are considered among the best as senior level skaters now.  So amazing.

Many people have commented on this already, but he has hardwired artistry and natural musicality.

At 6:54 of the Yuzuru Hanyu FS 2012 Worlds Best Comments video, the commentator says: “He has an artistic feeling that comes from deep inside, that’s inborn.”

My favourite comment: “Oh my God, that face!”

3 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Many people have commented on this already, but he has hardwired artistry and natural musicality.

At 7:28 of the Yuzuru Hanyu FS 2012 Worlds Best Comments video, the commentator says: “He has an artistic feeling that comes from deep inside, that’s inborn.”

There is no question that his gift is hard-wired.  Of course, it has only been with an almost inconceivable level of commitment and single-minded hard work that got him where he is.  Maybe that's hard-wired, too.  I think he gained a sense of purpose out of the horrors of the earthquake that has enhanced his dedication. (And his family- his gift would never have been fully realized without their support.)

2 hours ago, liv said:

But see, this is precisely why I love it. The traffic is just regular traffic (although just a few years ago the main road was basically country, and now, my gosh, it's totally turned into suburbia!!) there's tons of parking.. I don't have to fight for said parking, there's nature behind the arena so it's relaxing... I don't have to PAY for parking... I don't have to PAY for parking...

Driving around the GTA is a big pain in the butt, but Oakville is easily navigated, and buffered by the escarpment so you aren't totally surrounded and you can get out of the city fast.

They have a 2 year contract... hmmm, the Oakville organizers might be smart... if they have it another 2 years, with it being so close to T.O.. and Yuzu maybe staying until then... big bucks for them again in September if he continues to participate.

Yes, but it's a sunuvabish for anyone coming from any distance away at all, especially those who can't afford to rent a car. I was hoping they'd switch it to somewhere more scenic with an airport/mass transit close by and hotels closer to the rink. 

11 часов назад, monchan сказал:

I dont think there's any official measurement to rank athletes objectively and anyone can have their own opinion on it. For me 2) + 3) should work. 2) for their dominance at certain time and 3) for longevity. And not all major comps weigh the same. U can't put Olympic gold at same lvl as other golds or 4CC/EC golds with GPF/Worlds golds. Yuzu hasn't retired, he can still achieve more, let's see how much he'll have achieved at the end of his career. Honestly i believe if Yuzu wants to, he can have the longest career with most medals. If counting next Worlds' medal, he's alr men's skater with most medals at Worlds. And he hasnt retired yet! Talk about longevity.

I agree that he can have the longest if he wants taking account that Plu was on and off competitions for several years during his career. But my vain heart wants him to be the most of everything ever thus this counting started.

The argument of dominance often seems to come up, even when discussing GOAT status - it's why some people still think Dick Button is more of a GOAT than Yuzu, because he dominated by far. The problem is... it's easy to dominate when you're the only really good skater around - or, like in Dick's case, have the means to continue training when others don't. It's much harder to dominate when you have strong rivals, BUT winning against strong rivals - especially different strong rivals - is much more impressive, IMO. (Regardless of whether they're strong skills wise or strong because of political backing.) So the dominance aspect is always a bit meh for me. Yuzu didn't really dominate at any point, in the classical sense - except now, sort of, because the gap between him and Nathan and the rest is fairly big, but then there's Nathan... -  BUT he has been strong enough to never finish lower than 2nd over the past 6 or so years, and against different strong rivals. Which IMO is at least just as impressive as if he'd won everything by a landslide over 6 years.

Also, IIRC, Plushenko has won 7 European titles, for which there is no real equivalent Yuzu could win - 4CC isn't really the same thing, no matter what anyone says - and he also has several Worlds titles, I think? And National titles? But aside from Yagudin, I'm not sure how many strong rivals he had at the peak of his career - genuine question, as I wasn't following FS then, but aside from the stuff with Lysacek and Yagudin, I haven't really heard of other rivals for Plushenko.

IMO, what matters more, if we most compare with Plushenko, is what Plushenko himself has said (IIRC): that Yuzu is better than him. Even just because the technical level is higher at this point, but probably not just because of that.