General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, memae said:

And then there's coaches who get their athletes to the standard of ' good enough', like Raf with Nathan

In all fairness to Raf, I think he actually would be willing to push Nathan harder and higher, but the athlete has to be willing to do what it takes, too, and Nathan isn't focused on skating to that extent, to the exclusion of all else. I've always gotten the impression that Raf secretly tears his hair out over Nathan and wishes he had the intensity of focus that Yuzu does. 

And having been a swim coach myself, I'm very sorry to hear you had a coach treat you that way. 

4 hours ago, shanshani said:

We already know he found the ice dance competition at Euros to be a little suspicious

tbh if Yuzu started commentating the less popular disciplines/events their viewership would shoot up dramatically

Yuzu commentates synchro --> suddenly synchro becomes the most popular sport on the planet. :laughing:

When/ where did Yuzu say that about European ice dance? Although tbf, saying ice dance judging is suspicious is kind of low-hanging fruit.

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

tbh commentator Yuzu would probably be a more technical and detail-oriented version of Ted Barton (minus Russian stanning? not actually sure about that) 95% of the time, but the other 5% of the time would be epic, charmingly-delivered shade

And we'd all be watching him for the shade. 

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yuzu commentates synchro --> suddenly synchro becomes the most popular sport on the planet. :laughing:

When/ where did Yuzu say that about European ice dance? Although tbf, saying ice dance judging is suspicious is kind of low-hanging fruit.

it was at the K&C when Yuzu was waiting for SP scores. they were taking a long time and he mentioned how it also took P/C a long time to get their scores at Euros in a way that suggested he was nervous about what that might signify (P/C came in second, possibly deservedly, but given how much of judges' pets they were for the first half of the season it was pretty weird from what I gather--didn't watch Euros)

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It was in the K&C while he was waiting for the scores of the SP at 4CC. 

1 minute ago, shanshani said:

it was at the K&C when Yuzu was waiting for SP scores. they were taking a long time and he mentioned how it also took P/C a long time to get their scores at Euros in a way that suggested he was nervous about what that might signify (P/C came in second, possibly deservedly, but given how much of judges' pets they were for the first half of the season it was pretty weird from what I gather--didn't watch Euros)

Ah, I missed when he said that. 

I read a judge's account of why it took so long for P/C's scores - apparently the moment they took the ice, there was a glitch of some kind and none of the judges' computers worked properly and they couldn't see the video replay, or some such, so they had to walk around the rink to another video workstation to review. 

11 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I think one of the things that contributes to the Cricket Club's positive attitude towards' skaters' individuality - and individual goals, because not everyone has to be an Olympic Champion - is the fact that they have many skating programs, and not just train elite skaters. There are beginners, there are adults, there are seniors, there are people who just skate for fun or people who started skating later in life and it's unrealistic to expect they would reach the same level as the elite skaters. All of these skaters are coached by the same team that oversees the elite skaters, and they are all given proper attention and treated equally. That I think helps the coaching team better realize and understand how people are different and they have different levels and different standards. But it's not like "oh, you'll never win a gold medal in international competition, why am I wasting my time on you?". TCC is not a club for elite skaters, it's a club where elite skaters also train and I think that makes a huge difference. I'm not sure how many of the other top coaches in FS also train at these other levels (or at least at so many of them).

This is a principle that should be followed in many other fields.  For instance, the University of Chicago has a rule that all fully-tenured faculty must teach at least one basic course in their field in an academic year.  Thus there was Enrico Fermi (winner of a Nobel prize in physics) teaching Physics 101, Milton Friedman (winner of a Nobel in economics) teaching Economics 101, and Saul Bellow (a Nobel in literature) teaching English 101.  The reason for the rule is to keep members of the faculty from developing a tunnel vision that blocks out all activity outside their field.  Where I went for graduate studies did not have that principle so it was left to the junior staff (non-tenure tracked) to handle the freshman courses.  It showed in the attitudes so many of the senior staff had toward those students who weren't English majors. 

As such, I have to agree that TCC's approach is to be commended, as also their approach to world-class skaters where a new skater is frequently started at relearning basic skills, such as was the case with Yuzu, before the work begins on the more complex matters.  In the case of Jason, he had those skills pretty well under control when he came to TCC so I have a feeling that they trained him with the basics just enough to polish them and then went on to the jumps, where he was fairly deficient.  He's doing more jumping now than previously but they are integrated into his programs so as not to detract from the PCS elements.  The approach is bearing fruit.  Jason has moved up from the ranks to being a podium contender.  I haven't looked at how this season compares with his previous seasons but I have a strong feeling that he's having his best season ever.  I really wonder how Boyang might be doing had he made the move to TCC a couple years ago when it was a possibility.  We'll never know.

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I read a judge's account of why it took so long for P/C's scores - apparently the moment they took the ice, there was a glitch of some kind and none of the judges' computers worked properly and they couldn't see the video replay, or some such, so they had to walk around the rink to another video workstation to review. 

Is that so... :crazyshit2:

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

yeah, I guess Yuzu didn't know that. he's falling behind on his lurking game!

also of course the ISU has a random glitch with the judging system. so on brand. the entire judging system itself is one giant glitch, really

25分鐘前, shanshani說:

yeah, I guess Yuzu didn't know that. he's falling behind on his lurking game!

also of course the ISU has a random glitch with the judging system. so on brand. the entire judging system itself is one giant glitch, really

I remember that I have read someone transcribing part of the conversation in the 4CC K&C:

Brian told Yuzu that he broke the computer, Yuzu replied "again?"

So maybe they knew? :character0049: Can't remember where I read it though.

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

tbh commentator Yuzu would probably be a more technical and detail-oriented version of Ted Barton (minus Russian stanning? not actually sure about that) 95% of the time, but the other 5% of the time would be epic, charmingly-delivered shade

I think Yuzu would rather follow in the footsteps of Dick Button. He knows 100% what's going on in the sport, he has the authority to criticise the system and the strong personality to speak out the truth. Unadorned and honest. He would never feed some made-up narratives but stay true to his values and his image of ideal skating. Just like he does today as a competitor :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: