General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Paskud said:

research about chewing gum:68468287:

Who knew gum could be so complex? Although I have read research that suggests the act of chewing gum raises alertness and can enhance some types of mental performance. Never heard anything about enhancing athletic performance before, though. Interesting. 

2 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Bad news, already tried watching the video and it's not playable in my country (Canada)! Any other suggested videos? (P.S. NBC Sports you suck!) :(

Just watch it on YouTube. I did. Try Skating ISU channel. Or go to CBC.ca/sports; I think they should have streamed it and have it in archive. 

I guarantee you that if Nathan were to recycle a program next season, the narrative among his fans and the US media would immediately shift to 'OMG look at how Nathan's decision to recycle is such a great opportunity to show how much he's grown as an innovative balletic artiste, what brilliance!', and they wouldn't care in the slightest that they sounded like huge hypocrites. Kinda like how the narrative in Vancouver was that their American champion was much better than Plushenko because Plusenko had nothing but jumps while Lysacek was such a well rounded skater who should win without quads, but now that they have an American champion who is a good jumper but not well rounded at all the narrative has shifted to 'our champion is the quad king! Quads are everything! Who needs great skating skills or spins or meaningful artistry when you have quads!' No matter what Nathan does, it will be right, and no matter what Yuzu does, it will be wrong. 

57 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yes I see your point. I'm only basing my opinions off what most people who tried to defend Nathan's PCS scores over Yuzu's said why Yuzu is getting underscored in PCS. I think their excuse is bad too. I think marking down someone for recycled programs is pathetic too (although understandable why that might happen). And whilst I know not to trust what TSL said about this, they do know the judges personally (some of them). *According to them they even know some judges who judge adult competitions as well as international competitions. 

And what TSL said was:

"When push comes to shove between Yuzu and Nathan, the judges will bring up that Yuzu is repeating both his programs this year"

I know TSL is a bunch of garbage, but sometimes they do know things we don't. 

And yes I know there are exceptions to the rule that some skaters' PCS rises even though they repeat their program.

But how many times have you guys heard people complaining about Ashley Wagner always repeating that program of hers? (I forgot the title, but at one time people were going on and on about it in forums). A skater building a career reputation of recycling programs over and over is not a good look. 

I think Yuzu has built a reputation in the skating community of recycling his programs many times, and whilst some judges won't mind, there may be judges who do. 

I don't know if you were paying attention or not, but Yuzu just skated a completely new layout for Origin 2days ago - after only doing the run-through once! That's not recycling, that's re-using the music for something new. 

I wouldn't put too much weight on recycling programs as a reason for Yuzu's low PCS here. I think the issue of low PCS isn't actually related to what he skated at all. 

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yeah it is politicking. I'm saying it is unfair politics, but it's a way they find excuses to mark him down for PCS.

Judges scrutinize Yuzu's programs to find excuses or flaws to mark down, and most likely they find his recylcing irritating, whereas they find Nathan's new programs more fresh and more appealing by whatever their standards are. 

I don't know about Arakawa, but isn't Alina an exception? She was the perfect young age of 15 for the Russian fed to boost her PCS scores up in case Zhenya bombed at olympics. It is politics yes. But at least Alina had a new Short Program for olympics. She didn't repeat both her programs.  

Any "excuse" to mark down that is not in the rules is invalid. No discussion.

If recycling is an excuse for low pcs, how about the same program with different music ? That's exactly what Eteri camp famous for. Evgenia skated with the same partern, layout for years under Eteri, that's the main source of her consistency as well but did her pcs suffer ? Remember the first time she broke Mao's SP record, its due to pcs, not tes (yes, I'm still bitter about this). Japanese ladies bring great, new programs every year but they never get close to Russian ladies's pcs despite being better in everything. Nathan's SP choreo this season is basically a Nemesis recycle. Daniil's programs with mutiple leg kicks/leg grabs that have nothing to do with the music. If recycling programs should get lower pcs, then everything I listed above should be dingged harder. Do we really expect judges to pay attention to music and programs ? Shoma and Nathan still get good goe when step for SP solo jump was a rule. If judges don't even follow the rule/goe guideline most of the time,  why they suddenly invent new one for Yuzuru ?  

59 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Who knew gum could be so complex? Although I have read research that suggests the act of chewing gum raises alertness and can enhance some types of mental performance. Never heard anything about enhancing athletic performance before, though. Interesting. 

It's all in his calculations! 

:gla:

15 hours ago, ICeleste said:

This is absurd. 22 4Ts, 17 """4Lz"", 5 salchows and flips, 1 4Lo.

The current rulebook needs serious change.

• Why is the BV for 4Lo so relatively low?

Regarding 4Lz, either:

• The jump is easier than what ISU says, so its base value needs to be lowered.

OR (what I think):

• 4Lz is the easiest jump to cheat, which is why so many skaters are getting away with doing heavily pre-rotated, underrotated, wrong edge, full-blade-take-off jumps and unfairly being given full BV for them as if they were actual Lutzes. 

Since Yuzu has brought 4A into the conversation now, it needs to be said 4A BV is ridiculously low as well.

The ratio of edge jumps to toe jumps (6/44) also speaks to their relative difficulty (although the Flip seems to be an anomaly). Yuzu's mastery of edge jumps is one more thing that sets him apart. It also makes him uniquely suited to challenge Nessie. 

So looking at his 4A practices at GPF, what is the possibility of him landing it well at Worlds? Pretty sure he has a good success rate in past training but it's still not enough for him to use in competition. He probably will only get back to intensive training after JNats and that gives him just 2 months+? I don't know how people train for jumps but is 2 months sufficient? 

I so want him to land that 4A in Worlds even if it won't help him much with the scoring.