General Yuzuru Chat

I’m glad someone is recognising how much star power/popularity he has especially in Asia... but watch Western media continue to talk about how his Japanese fans travel with him everywhere :facepalm:

I wonder how large his Korean fanbase is and their demographics. Chinese fanbase at comps from what I’ve seen tend to be younger and more Extra™ with their cosplay/fanart/Winnie the Pooh references, Japanese fans tend to be aunty fans. Korean fanbase has excellent fancam quality so I’m excited for PC ;;

41 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I’m glad someone is recognising how much star power/popularity he has especially in Asia... but watch Western media continue to talk about how his Japanese fans travel with him everywhere :facepalm:

I wonder how large his Korean fanbase is and their demographics. Chinese fanbase at comps from what I’ve seen tend to be younger and more Extra™ with their cosplay/fanart/Winnie the Pooh references, Japanese fans tend to be aunty fans. Korean fanbase has excellent fancam quality so I’m excited for PC ;;

Agree with this. At comps it was fairly obvious a large part of the audience were non-Japanese (or maybe it isn't so obvious because many of his fans wave Japanese flags as a show of support).

It's also nice that there is some recognition now of how popular the Men's figure skating discipline is at the Olympics. When reports on ticket sales first started coming out, they made it seem like the Ladies events were still the best sellers. Maybe next time this will provide even a little bit of impetus for organisers and broadcasters to allocate better schedules and time slots for the Men's events. Though not holding my breath since in North America Ladies probably remain as the default event to watch out for. At least maybe don't schedule them on consecutive days?

And speaking about the next Olympics...

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

I'm (hopefully, i'm shite with money) upgrading my camera for PC and the practices (whenever the tickets come out) so hopefully, I can contribute some nice photos (I dislike video)

It helps that the men's event is so spicy in general but they're not exactly wrong that Yuzu is the main pull. I saw Korean news sites around 4CC talking about how ticket sales exceeded expectations and attributing that to Hanyu going. He's the most well known male skater, pretty much the only one any of my co-workers know, and a fair amount of my students know of him as well but I doubt they could name any other big competitors. (Today a student actually complained no one famous was going to Pyeongchang and my co-teacher said 'What about Hanyu' and the student was like 'oh yeah'. These are 11-year-olds lol I would expect most of them to not know, him but quite a few do)

Not sure about Yuzu's Korean fan demographics but he seems to have a nice spread of girls in their late teens-early 20s, to aunties, and some guys. If he performs well at Pyeongchang with his current programs I can imagine him being pretty well received here. But I'm biased and also not actually Korean :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

2 minutes ago, katonice said:

(And here I thought maybe I could bump into some of them on the trains :laughing:)

Soooooo....Yangyang International is the closest...

I mean this is better than going to Incheon or Gimpo which is frequently flooded by fangirls with cameras so most uh fangirl types (cough me cough) are well used to hauling ass to Incheon and lining a pathway for x person to walk past them lol If they are lucky they should be able to get off the plane and get to their bus or whatever to Pyeongchang/Gangneung without being totally flooded by media and fans.