General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, Fay said:

Yeah, I was trying to attach a GIF last night, but failed to. It was their side-by-side gliding which showed Yuzu was superior...

It's also here on twitter.

4 hours ago, meoima said:

I think Yuzuru's flexibility is more on his back while Jason's flexibility is more on his hip. I remember they have said somewhere about that on FSuniverse. 

Jason's hip area is very flexible that's why I think his upright spin position are so good. And spiral position too.

but Jason doesn't do upright Biellmann like Yuzuru so I think Yuzuru is more flexibie in the back.

I will have to disagree with that poster on FSuniverse. Yuzu is the king of turnout. Turnout flexibility is solely from the hips and Yuzu can do spread eagle and Ina Bauer with his blades turned out more than 180 degrees. His turnout in his R&J2 Ina Bauer where he carves a half circle in the ice is insane. Flexibility to do the splits comes from the hips and the legs. While Jason has both and has more flexible legs than Yuzu, he doesn't have the level of flexibility in the hips that Yuzu does.

1 minute ago, Fresca said:

It's also here on twitter.

I will have to disagree with that poster on FSuniverse. Yuzu is the king of turnout. Turnout flexibility is solely from the hips and Yuzu can do spread eagle and Ina Bauer will his blades turned out more than 180 degrees. His turnout in his R&J2 Ina Bauer where he carves a half circle in the ice is insane. Flexibility to do the splits comes from the hips and the legs. While Jason has both and has more flexible legs than Yuzu, he doesn't have the level of flexibility in the hips that Yuzu does.

I guess the difference is that Yuzu's naturally flexible in the hip area and could have kept flexibility everywhere but chose to emphasise jump prowess whereas Jason consciously did work hard on his flexibility. I remember reading that he said he wasn't naturally so flexible...

There's a new translation of Yuzu's interview in the german magazine Pirouette on this Tumblr.

Q: What programs do you want to do in the Olympic Season?

YH: I haven’t decided yet what music I will have for the next season. In this season I wanted to challenge myself and in this sense the season was very sucessful. The experiences that I gained this season will hopefully have a positive effect on the next season. It is good, that I can show two different skating styles in the SP and in the LP. This is something I want to repeat in the next season. I don’t know, If I will have 5 quads in my program in the beginning of the season, but this would definetly be a possible challenge. I want to have different options for difficult combinations. Yes, maybe I need to jump a lot of different types of quads, but I don’t want to change a lot in the composition of the programs. I think about the grades of execution (GOEs) for the elements, but I especially want to suceed expressing in my programs what I want to express. Because of the (technical)challenges I set for myself this season, I think that I can improve my programs. 

Q: What do you think about the increasing level of the other skaters? You said in the past, that you wanted to r**** after 2018, what do you think about this now? 

YH: Just because the competition is now on such a high level, the training is fun and the motivation increased. Without a comment about r****ment, I can say that I am very happy to skate now.

4Lz (or 4A XD) incoming ;)

Of course we already knew, but I think he had never stated it yet so explicitely before now.

3 minutes ago, Fay said:

I guess the difference is that Yuzu's naturally flexible in the hip area and could have kept flexibility everywhere but chose to emphasise jump prowess whereas Jason consciously did work hard on his flexibility. I remember reading that he said he wasn't naturally so flexible...

That makes sense. You can build flexibility elsewhere but hip flexibility is pretty much genetic, especially the degree of turnout that Yuzu has. If Yuzu were taller, he'd have the ideal body of a male ballet dancer if he built up enough upper body muscle to do lifts.

48 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Did anyone notice how Yuzu throws his arms up during the camel spin when Prince does that short piercing shriek? I love that detail.

Does anyone else actually do choreography during spins like Yuzuru?

I adore so many Yuzuru's spins, the gala combinations are probably my favorite, especially Requirm and Swan ones.

Yuzuru's arm movements on the musical accents during spins are a unique beauty in men's field, imo. I didn't see anyone else display that much attention to musical highlighting at Helsinki. I can agree when people say that Shoma, or Jason Brown, or Patrick Chan have good musicality (for me it's Jason > Patrick > Shoma), but Yuzuru is on a different planet all right. 

Requiem's spins are my favourite spins of him honestly, especially the last one. I wish I could find the musical sheets of Requiem, and circle each note that is highlighted by Yuzuru's movements. You will find that each highlight falls on the first note of an inciso, which is the shortest phrase you find in a musical composition. Basically, the difference between 'going with the music' and being the music. Yuzuru plays the music with his body. It's such an amazing experience for me, as a musician, to see that kind of sensitivity. 

It's no surprise for me that Yuzuru is obsessed with headphones (lol), because really, he could have been a talented musician indeed, with his sensitive ear. Nothing escapes his analysis and I am sure that most of the musical movements are his own - for example, I am confident that the fist pump in LGC's sit spin was his idea. 

I'd definitely suggest Boston's Requiem as an example of perfect harmony of music and skating during each second, each note, each movement. He can't even blink without it being perfectly inserted in the music. 

11 hours ago, xeyra said:

But their National titles matters to the talking points. For example, how many people hearing commentary on figure skating and hearing Shoma is National Champion wouldn't assume the former Champion probably lost to him?

During the 2017 Helsinki World Championships, Robin Cousins and his BBC female co-commentator kept saying that Shoma Uno had beaten Yuzuru Hanyu to become the Japanese national champion. I think that they simply made the assumption that Yuzuru had lost to Shoma because Shoma is the national champion. I found it really irritating hearing this, especially from a commentator that I respect. I kept thinking that these "expert" commentators should know that Yuzuru had to withdraw from the national championships due to flu. Even Andi Petrillo of CBC knew that Yuzuru had to withdraw due to flu.

2 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

During the 2017 Helsinki World Championships, Robin Cousins and his BBC female co-commentator kept saying that Shoma Uno had beaten Yuzuru Hanyu to become the Japanese national champion. I think that they simply made the assumption that Yuzuru had lost to Shoma because Shoma is the national champion. I found it really irritating hearing this, especially from a commentator that I respect. I kept thinking that these "expert" commentators should know that Yuzuru had to withdraw from the national championships due to flu. Even Andi Petrillo of CBC knew that Yuzuru had to withdraw due to flu.

And I think it was also Robin Cousins who, during the 2017 Worlds medal ceremony, said that "he's not had a performance like this since he won the Olympics gold medal", and then implied something like he's only been holding the record in the short program before, and only now holds the record in the long. Like have these commentators been living under a rock, because seriously?? 

7 hours ago, Fay said:

As Javi was in Spain at the moment having his own Nationals and organising his own Christmas shows, he might not have quite registered that. I wouldn't blame him for that, exactly - he's got a busy schedule, he might have just confused things. Do you always remember when your colleagues fall ill - I don't, unless I'm really close to them.

And if there's a competition who mastered the art of being articulate and thoughtful and considerate and coming across as a truly intelligent person in an interview... Yuzu wins! Over everyone in the world - there's no competition there. We know that. Javi's more disappointing in comparison, but then everyone else is, anyway. My attitude towards him shifted somewhat this season after a couple of interviews (this wasn't the first). But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he meant no harm. He just never cared to learn the facts - but since Javi's never been among my favourites, I can't say I care that much.

I think the main point that yuzuthebest was making is that in similar circumstances, Yuzuru would never discuss who Javier had lost to.

We do not know why Javier did not know about Yuzuru withdrawing from the Japanese Nationals due to flu and, like you, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt; but we do know for a fact that he talked about Shoma beating Yuzuru.

IMHO, Yuzuru would never talk about who had beaten Javier. He is always respectful of other skaters.

Yuzuru has a level of attentiveness that is unreachable for everyone else, including Javi. Well, Japanese people call him the 'God of Attentiveness' for a reason, hehe.

As for Max's post, gosh, I love this man so much. He seems more and more like a proud dad each day. I think him and Brian are Yuzuru's spare dads. I also love the fact that among press that tries to put skaters one against another, mayors that wish for Yuzuru to be beaten, Federations who want to push their own skaters and deny the genius that is Yuzuru's skating, simply, people who are jealous of Yuzuru and have to say that his skating is overrated...

here Max Ambesi is, telling it like it is. Yuzuru was and is, still, unreachable. 

5 hours ago, xeyra said:

I love this Ghana CM making of . I have no idea what he is saying but I love how expressive and talkative he is with the production team. He doesn't just stand there being told what to do and how to smile and where to go. 

Yes, Yuzu is always an active participant in his CMs, often making suggestions to the director and production crew.

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

Yuzuru's arm movements on the musical accents during spins are a unique beauty in men's field, imo. I didn't see anyone else display that much attention to musical highlighting at Helsinki. I can agree when people say that Shoma, or Jason Brown, or Patrick Chan have good musicality (for me it's Jason > Patrick > Shoma), but Yuzuru is on a different planet all right. 

I'd definitely suggest Boston's Requiem as an example of perfect harmony of music and skating during each second, each note, each movement. He can't even blink without it being perfectly inserted in the music. 

I agree that Yuzu is on another level. The proof of an artist's musicality in movement is in their improv. How do their bodies naturally respond to a piece of music? It's spontaneous choreography, if you will and as you said, attention to detail is key. When Yuzu improvs his skating rather than follows choreography as he did during his botched 3A Notte Stellata landings, his YOLO quads/3A or the details he changed in Boston's Requiem in the latter half, everything is still beautifully done to the music with that special attention to detail. He is aware of the music and of his movement from the top of his head to his fingers to his toes.

Perhaps it's just that I haven't been paying attention but I haven't seen this level of musicality from Shoma, Jason or Patrick.

:offtopic: Off topic, but this is my favorite display of musicality in any genre of artistic movement I have seen (sorry Yuzu, even more than you). Hip hop freestyle to piano music. Purely technique and musicality. It doesn't need anything else.

ETA: I'm a tissue box!!! :POOH: