General Yuzuru Chat

7 minutes ago, Anni said:

Wow his comment is written in English.

Haha I saw the Japanese message first, used google translate, left a long comment, then saw the English message too (so lovely) and ofc had to leave comment there too!

22 minutes ago, Anni said:

I just read on youtube: The first video for the member will be uploaded tomorrow.😇

Edit: Pammi and me at the same time.:wink2:

Wow his comment is written in English. Thank you.:agree:

It's so endearing (I may have squealed a little bit). I'm so happy that he takes his international fans into account as well

2 hours ago, Pammi said:

Haha, first I saw the Japanese post, I used Google Translate, left a long comment, then I saw the English post too (so cute) and had to leave a comment there too !

I know Mr google translate  :shrug: and it's very practical and here is Yuzu and  :agree:with the title : "impossible not to like it" and it's INNEVITABLE :girlsigh:  :softyuzu:

3 hours ago, Pammi said:

Yuzu's posted a member's message on YT (do people want alerts here?)

Yes, fabulous news must be shared, people will want to hear about it. Some people might be waiting for news of members only content before making decision to join membership or not.

Bonus - For members a little message from 'YuTunes' with Yuzu photo pops into email inbox. Such a lovely surprise.

9 hours ago, Anni said:

I also post this here. :agree:

[NEWS]

Good luck for the Japanese satellites who want to have a ticket.:fingerscrossed:

Lotteries for ice show tickets and live streams in 65 cinemas all over the country (for which you also have to enter a ticket lottery). And now additional standing space, so more people can attend the show. Yuzu's popularity and success is mind blowing! And he deserves all the love, attention, success, and money! Go, Yuzu! :cheer:

ETA: Has anyone ever heard of standing room in ice shows? Ice shows! Not pop concerts. Sounds ridiculous, but the demand is there. Only for Yuzu. :ganba:

On 10/18/2022 at 9:40 PM, Geo1 said:

Most people think that Yuzu's philanthropic nature started after the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami, but his desire to give back to his community predated the great disaster. In the Miyatele Stadium interview for a Sendai TV station in 2010 after winning his junior world championship, 15-year-old Yuzu was asked at around the 11 minute mark of the video about his thoughts regarding the Olympics.

Yuzu said that there was a time when Ice Rink Sendai was closed due to financial problems and it was only due to Shizuka Arakawa's efforts after winning the Olympic gold medal in 2006 that the rink recovered and they finally got an environment to skate.

Yuzu went on to say, "I want to compete at the Olympics and get the gold medal and improve and help this rink."

Of course, the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami provided even more focus for his philanthropy. Even before winning his first Olympic medal, he published his first autobiography "Aoi Honoo" in April 2012 and donated his royalties to Ice Rink Sendai.

When he won his first Olympic gold medal at Sochi, he donated all of his winnings – ¥6 million – equally to Miyagi Prefecture and Sendai City. In 2018, when he won his second Olympic gold medal at PyeongChang, he again donated all of his winnings – ¥10 million – equally to Miyagi and Sendai.

Although I had read that Yuzu had donated much after winning each OGM, this almost leaves me speechless. How do other athletes and Olympic champions deal with this question? Is it common to donate ALL? Does this differ from country to country?

25 minutes ago, Ulrinis said:

Although I had read that Yuzu had donated much after winning each OGM, this almost leaves me speechless. How do other athletes and Olympic champions deal with this question? Is it common to donate ALL? Does this differ from country to country?

People can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that Yuzu is the only one who has ever donated all of his Olympic winnings. I have not heard of anyone else donating any amount of their Olympic winnings.

A couple of things to note:

Firstly, Yuzu and his family are financially well-off now, but they were not when he won his first Olympic gold medal at Sochi in 2014. I am sure that they could have really used the ¥6 million for family expenses, not to mention expenses that had been incurred on behalf of Yuzu for his skating. In other words, I am saying that it is not a case of a rich man and his family giving money away that they don’t need for a tax benefit. I am sure that the Hanyu family could have used this money, but they chose to give it away.

Secondly, although the Japanese yen is significantly reduced in value right now, when Yuzu donated his winnings in 2014 and 2018, ¥6 million and ¥10 million were probably very close to $60,000 US and $100,000 US, respectively.

I understand that Yuzu and his family were living very modestly in what might be characterized as a low-cost housing apartment project when he won his first Olympic medal and for quite some time afterwards.

It speaks volumes about his father and mother that they remain quietly in the background, taking none of the credit for the accomplishments of their remarkable son, while imparting to him all that is truly important in life.

48 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

People can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that Yuzu is the only one who has ever donated all of his Olympic winnings. I have not heard of anyone else donating any amount of their Olympic winnings.

Firstly, Yuzu and his family are financially well-off now, but they were not when he won his first Olympic gold medal at Sochi in 2014. I am sure that they could have really used the ¥6 million for family expenses, not to mention expenses that had been incurred on behalf of Yuzu for his skating. In other words, I am saying that it is not a case of a rich man and his family giving money away that they don’t need for a tax benefit. I am sure that the Hanyu family could have used this money, but they chose to give it away.

Secondly, although the Japanese yen is significantly reduced in value right now, when Yuzu donated his winnings in 2014 and 2018, ¥6 million and ¥10 million were probably very close to $60,000 US and $100,000 US, respectively.

I understand that Yuzu and his family were living very modestly in what might be characterized as a low-cost housing apartment project when he won his first Olympic medal and for quite some time afterwards.

It speaks volumes about his father and mother that they remain quietly in the background, taking none of the credit for the accomplishments of their remarkable son, while imparting to him all that is truly important in life.

Thanks for the background facts. I guess the number of people aware of this is still too small ... 

31 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

:iagree:

Yuzu is and has always conducted himself in an exemplary, thoughtful and good hearted manner. 

I believe that you are correct, I have not heard about Olympic champions donating winnings to charity in this way before.

As you say the monetary value is not necessarily the important aspect of what Yuzu did, but it is the act of donation itself that is most commendable. It is a rare person who finds reward by simply doing what they love. Winning the Olympic gold was Yuzu's goal and he succeeded twice, achieving his dream. Yuzu is true to himself, a man of integrity, with admiration from fans the world over, his reputation is already the stuff of legend. Perhaps he is so self aware that he does not need personal wealth, just enough to cover skating expenses, keep his family in comfort, health care and some extra money for earphones, cameras and gyosas.

If Yuzu has already achieved that level of enlightenment then he has something far more valuable than all the material riches in the world:YuzuPoohLove:

I hope that if Yuzu is intending to settle in Sendai, that he will eventually have his own rink and be able to have cats. ( Hypoallergenic breed of course )

To be honest, the Prize money is also a value that is decided by the champion's Olys committee so exactly how much is awarded to the athlete varies depending on what the committee wants to give to them.